PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I do wonder about the pipe experience in an environment where there are guys around smoking those smelly, long brown things. LOL

Actually, I used to enjoy an occasional cigar, but now that I'm all in for pipes, no longer have the urge for one. I can leave that to the overall tobacco junkies. ;)

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
For those of you that wanted to find a place to meet and have a smoke, I made another trip to Paul’s pipe shop this weekend. I talked to Dan about it and he has a room that the arrowheads hangout in that seats 6-8 people. Dan also said that we could stand around and smoke also, just throwing that out there. On the other note, scored three new pipes. A unsmoked 50’s Algerian briar French all weather pipe, an Algerian briar pipe that Paul made and a Cristiano pipe. AA09AAFB-D307-445F-A697-00D810F2DE93.jpegD6AA57A8-1204-4DE1-8A2C-B74DFFBE4E61.jpeg53A2363A-C58E-4714-B10E-F5ECF4C0DF2D.jpeg467EF40D-1143-43A3-8249-4968907E75EE.jpeg

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
For those of you that wanted to find a place to meet and have a smoke, I made another trip to Paul’s pipe shop this weekend. I talked to Dan about it and he has a room that the arrowheads hangout in that seats 6-8 people. Dan also said that we could stand around and smoke also, just throwing that out there. On the other note, scored three new pipes. A unsmoked 50’s Algerian briar French all weather pipe, an Algerian briar pipe that Paul made and a Cristiano pipe. View attachment 219166View attachment 219167View attachment 219168View attachment 219169
you don't mess around

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
you don't mess around
Well originally I was only going to get the Cristiano but then asked Dan if he had any pipes left his dad made. So I wanted one of those and then Dan let me go through the drawers and I found that all weather pipe. I have a boat and tried smoking pipe on it but never really went well so I just smoked cigars. I knew I needed a cap for the pipe and when I saw this pipe and the engineering of it, I just had to have that one too. Lol.

CaptJ

Lurker
Mar 23, 2023
Livonia, MI
Went to Paul's (after Crêpes of course) to stock up on some favorite blends and grabbed a few new ones to try. Also took advantage of their 25% off all pipes sale with a NOS Kaywoodie 32c Silhouette and a used Karl Erik. Both pipes that break the mold of my current collection of traditional shapes with smooth finishes. Looking forward to smoking them!

If you can, go give them a visit. The fencing is gone but now the road in front of them is torn up till August. Sounds like sales have really taken a hit (thus the 25% sale).

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_211510.jpg
    IMG_20230520_211510.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 9
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Went to Paul's (after Crêpes of course) to stock up on some favorite blends and grabbed a few new ones to try. Also took advantage of their 25% off all pipes sale with a NOS Kaywoodie 32c Silhouette and a used Karl Erik. Both pipes that break the mold of my current collection of traditional shapes with smooth finishes. Looking forward to smoking them!

If you can, go give them a visit. The fencing is gone but now the road in front of them is torn up till August. Sounds like sales have really taken a hit (thus the 25% sale).
I truly hope they make it.

Here's a picture of the store front with the torn up road in front (from their Facebook page). Notice the for lease sign next store. I previously posted an article where both sides are vacant and dilapidated (and owned by a former NBA player).

Screenshot_20230520-214613_Chrome.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm glad this thread is continuing. It's a neat concept to have a Michigan related thread.

Seems like I won't be able to get out much this summer, but a meet up would be great for the others that can make it.

Paul's Pipe Shop recently posted that they are beginning to pave in front of the store. The picture wasn't anything exciting, so I didn't share. I hope they weather this storm.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Anyone have suggestions for things to do in Traverse City and the surrounding areas? Looks like I’ll be up there in a couple months. I’m guessing there’s not much might pipe related things up there but maybe some good antique shops?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Anyone have suggestions for things to do in Traverse City and the surrounding areas? Looks like I’ll be up there in a couple months. I’m guessing there’s not much might pipe related things up there but maybe some good antique shops?
I have family there, but don't visit often. M-50, beaches, trails, and nice restaurants make for a great long weekend.

What are you looking to do?

Reactions: Laurent

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have family there, but don't visit often. M-50, beaches, trails, and nice restaurants make for a great long weekend.

What are you looking to do?
Pretty much those kinds of things as well as smoke as many pipes as I can without upsetting a pregnant lady I’ll be traveling with. It’ll be a few days vacation with my wife.

Reactions: Laurent

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Are you a hiker? Easy (short & flat) trail at Mission Peninsula light house along beach and woods. Difficult would be the Pyramid Point Trail at Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. Couple of mile loop but hilly.

Antiques would be both Wilson’s locations. One is downtown the other is up 31 towards Acme (not far out of town).

Burgers at Slabtown
Beers all over but the Shorts Brewery in Elk Rapids is a 20 mile drive north, cute town with a boardwalk and marina nearby.

More info if you want/need.