PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CaptJ

Lurker
Mar 23, 2023
Livonia, MI
Never really been into ball sports. Although if there is food or friends, I'll sometimes join in. A Wolverine fan simply because a Kettering friend who is a huge college football fan told me they were who I should cheer for. Also the only college football stadium I've ever been to.

If I'm following anything it is motorsports. Usually F1, IMSA, and the MX5 Cup. Although I can't say I'm super consistent even in that haha. Also enjoy watching the annual Goodwood Revival.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Wolverine fan by proxy, but pay zero attention to sports other than F1.
If I'm following anything it is motorsports. Usually F1, IMSA, and the MX5 Cup.
There are a couple of indoor go kart tracks for adults scattered throughout the state, like Clio, Oxford,.and Byron Center. Has anyone ever been? While I can't see myself doing it, they seem kind of fun. I'll also add going to the regular speedway in Mason and Clip is fun (the people watching is worth the price of admission and the demolition/extreme race nights are amazing, with figure 8 tracks and car eating metal dinosaur).

Here's the adult go kart track for Clio, to give an idea:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Never really been into ball sports. Although if there is food or friends, I'll sometimes join in. A Wolverine fan simply because a Kettering friend who is a huge college football fan told me they were who I should cheer for. Also the only college football stadium I've ever been to.

If I'm following anything it is motorsports. Usually F1, IMSA, and the MX5 Cup. Although I can't say I'm super consistent even in that haha. Also enjoy watching the annual Goodwood Revival.
Where can we watch the MX5 cup? I’ve been wanting an ND for a while now.

Reactions: Laurent

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I've been to K1 Speed in Oxford, but compared to other K1's around the country, its my least favorite. Haven't been to any other kart tracks around home.

Some coworkers and i have talked about going to the speedway in Mason to see the demolition derby and the figure 8 racing, seems like so much fun. I'd also like to see some true dirt track racing, late model and sprint car. I've watch some of the World of Outlaw Sprint Car races on YouTube and its fascinating. As an amature photographer, i bet people watching is great like you mentioned.

CaptJ

Lurker
Mar 23, 2023
Livonia, MI
There are a couple of indoor go kart tracks for adults scattered throughout the state, like Clio, Oxford,.and Byron Center. Has anyone ever been? While I can't see myself doing it, they seem kind of fun. I'll also add going to the regular speedway in Mason and Clip is fun (the people watching is worth the price of admission and the demolition/extreme race nights are amazing, with figure 8 tracks and car eating metal dinosaur).

Here's the adult go kart track for Clio, to give an idea:

The car enthusiast club at Kettering did some races at the Clio location that I participated in. I've also been to the Full Throttle Adrenaline Parks in Novi (Formally JD Racing), and Sterling Heights (used to be Kart2Kart). I also went and saw some races at I think it was Flat Rock Speedway last fall. The figure 8 bus race was the highlight. Good times.

Where can we watch the MX5 cup? I’ve been wanting an ND for a while now.
I've been catching them here. https://www.youtube.com/@TheRacerChannel/streams NDs are sharp! Wouldn't mind one myself. :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm kidding and root for Michigan when they aren't playing MSU.
Yanno, when I moved to Detroit, years ago, as a young MSU grad, that's what I did. It didn't take that many years of dealing with Arrogant Assholes from Ann Arbor, as Darryl Rodgers famously put it when he was coaching MSU football, that I changed my tune. Now, my two favorite teams are Michigan State and whoever is playing Michigan.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Fellow Michiganders, behold. A pipe smoking event for all. April 23rd in Clio.

Usually there is more going on with this event, or there was in the past. Some guys selling pipes and or tobacco and Dan Spaniola with a Paul’s Pipe Shop table set-up. Smallish gathering but cool for sure. Last one I went to was at a VFW Post outside I think.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Fellow Michiganders, behold. A pipe smoking event for all. April 23rd in Clio.

IAPSC - and the associated pipe smoking contests - was Paul Spaniola's baby. I was in several IAPSC contests ages ago, when Jim Simon at Hill & Hill was sponsoring an associated club. Two grams of Paul's competition blend, two wooden matches, a small piece of sandpaper to light up. I won a gorgeous Stan in what I guess must of been a regional contest, ages ago.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
IAPSC - and the associated pipe smoking contests - was Paul Spaniola's baby. I was in several IAPSC contests ages ago, when Jim Simon at Hill & Hill was sponsoring an associated club. Two grams of Paul's competition blend, two wooden matches, a small piece of sandpaper to light up. I won a gorgeous Stan in what I guess must of been a regional contest, ages ago.
This sounds so great. Any pics of the pipe you won?

Reactions: Laurent
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Kind of a hike, but who knows, maybe I'll get there sometime.
You and me both. I don't get Downriver often and have Daddy Daycare most weekends.

The club is getting more active and have talked about other meeting dates. Someday, I hope to make it.

And maybe I'll look into cigar lounge offerings for a mini PM meet up in Oakland County. I've been swamped at work with no end in the near future (which is not a bad thing).