PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Well, I picked up what I thought was a decent supply of the 40th Anniversary. Apparently, it wasn't enough, however.

I had focused on other blends thinking ' I can pick up more 40th anytime.'
Unfortunately, this may be a pattern we see repeated - unless there is some kind of revival of interest in pipesmoking among younger generations.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
This is sad news, Red Ribbon, Aurora, Blackwood, Wilderness and 3oaks are some of my favorites. Thankfully, the cellar is very well stocked on all of these.
I understand why McClelland would not want to compromise their name and quality, I wish more companies operated like this. The reality is, once you have enough money to live comfortable, for the rest of your days, which I imagine they do, reputation and legacy become far more important.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
chasingembers: 'they had offers to sell their company and they declined to do so because they didn't believe that anyone else would do justice to their blends. Maintaining quality was the most important thing.'
That's an artisan's outlook. A desire to leave a legacy that isn't later diminished. It's difficult to fault such an attitude. It's rarely found today.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Washington state is starting to take this pretty seriously. A smoking buddy of mine in Eastern Washington told me he got a warning from the state alcohol, tobacco and cannabis agents. He was told that the post office is starting to check the packages. State wants it's tax money.
I have a business that ships thousands of parcels a year with USPS. I highly doubt that would ever be an issue, USPS is so disorganized, you can't even begin to imagine, and, the vast majority of post office workers I've dealt with in the last few years really don't care enough to worry about this. The USA gov't can't even control what's coming into the country with the postal system, let alone what is crossing state lines.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
" I have a business that ships thousands of parcels a year with USPS. I highly doubt that would ever be an issue, USPS is so disorganized, you can't even begin to imagine, and, the vast majority of post office workers I've dealt with in the last few years really don't care enough to worry about this. The USA gov't can't even control what's coming into the country with the postal system, let alone what is crossing state lines. "
And why would a U.S. government agency get involved in some state's tax collection ? Cigars from an island that has a U.S. embargo on it ? Yeah. But the other ? Doesn't seem likely or even doable on a practical level.

This sounds like the kind of story a local retailer would come up with.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Having imported Cuban cigars for over a decade, I can tell you the feds are pretty clueless. Sure I had a few seizures but nothing in comparison to what I brought in. I cannot imagine the state of Washington having people to check UPS and USPS shipments coming into their state.
In regards to MC selling their business or their blends and the know how to make said blends, ain't happening. I have no doubt they were offered a boat load of money, but from what I have read about the owners, money isn't their thing, their name and rep is their thing and that is not for sale.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
It looks like WA is one of those states that legalized pot sales. This doesn't sit well with some members in the federal government, including the current Attorney General. And the feds are gonna expend resources to help that state collect a state tax ? Doesn't seem likely even if they could do it. I don't know how many pipe smokers are left in that state, but it seems hardly worth the effort if it's like most places I've been to. We are few and far between.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
MC themselves stated they could not find leaf to meet their standards so why would they expect someone else to do better? I’m confident the buy out offers they received weren’t going to significantly enhance their existing financial standing. And it’s impossible to purchase Mike’s "magic touch". It’s the age old problem of selling a small business that is so reliant on the owner’s involvement. So you have critical owner involvement, FDA issues and critical material shortages. A perfect storm that left them no viable alternative to closing their business. I admire their integrity for not selling out their legacy for peanuts.

Jul 12, 2011
Their blends will be missed and those of us who have had the honor to stock them up...well their blends will be remembered :clap:

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Does a McClelland's t shirt exist out there in the wild?

I've looked with no luck.
I understand that its time to retire, but such a thing could be set up pretty easily through a third party, and proceeds could go to a charity like the KC Zoo.

That logo is just so good, and would make for a great t shirt...

U7CICnu.png

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Great article that puts everything in perspective in one place:

http://www.tobacconistmagazine.com/end-of-an-era-mcclelland-tobacco-closes-its-doors/
(I still want that T-shirt)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Awe, The Big Government left the farmers to themselves. Shitty excuse. I'm not buying it. Shameful at the least, that a man can't rely on his own back to support his own business. You're pissed that the government will not leave you alone via FDA, but then want Government to come in and hold your hand with auctions and other services. :roll:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Try to walk a mile in their shoes
Uh, I didn't choose to be a farmer. But if I did, I wouldn't rely on government to help destroy my busniness. My comment wasn't really directed at McClelland but at the farming industry. The McNeils were going to retire at some point. The government and the lackey farmers helped them make the decision. But then again, this is the reason the McNeils gave. So yea, I guess it's pointed at them also. But I don't hate them for that decision. Government should not be the reason they retired. But it is.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Give it a rest. Any chance to bitch about the Government and talk politics and he's all in.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Here's Maker, trying to get another tread closed. Nobody was talking politics. Can't say anyone has been stumping on this thread. Also leave your" moral" authority behind the keyboard.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
If I lived in Washington I would rent a P.O. Box in Oregon or Idaho and have it shipped there. Left Cost Libs are a pain in the hind end.

Status
Not open for further replies.