PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I found it a pain to keep refilling a lighter every week, so I use a bic which lasts longer. Dont fill your bowl to the brim and you wont burn the rim.

adam2

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
I normally use matches for the first few lights of a bowl after that I use my old boy Corona lighter. In my opinion the Corona lighter is very very close to the match experience.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Matches inside and outside when it is not windy. My Zippo pipe lighter inside when i am feeling lazy and not like dealing with matches and outside when it is windy. On a side note, i used to use (and still occasionaly use) those snake light type long BIC lighters with the flexible heads. They are used to light candles, grills, outdoor fires when camping etc. Anyways, they are awesome for lighting your pipe, especially if you are using a pipe with a deep bowl. They don't heat up either except on the end, which you never touch. I'd recommend picking one up for the house for your pipes as well as other uses if you don't already have one.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I found a refillable butane pipe lighter for about $12 that works great. The soft flame that comes out on the side is nice. I also read here about always keeping the bowl level during lights which has really helped to limit my rim scorching.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Been through everything from Bic's to Old Boy's and everything in between and now only use wooden matches. I'll eventually get my pipe lit when out in the wind and I don't have to worry about mechanical failure or being out of fluid, etc.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I prefer strike anywhere matches. Because nothing makes you feel more like the Duke than striking a match on the back of your jeans and lighting up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Upon consideration I realize that I need to expand the scope of my reply to include the traditional means of lighting a pipe, the burning ember. Carrying around burning embers has proven a bit dangerous, not to mention damaging to my wardrobe. So on those occasions when nothing else will suffice, burning down a building to obtain a proper burning ember seems entirely in order. A previously stated. no point going overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.