PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Let's start with a fundamental statement: "the temperature at which a pipe is lit will make a significant difference to the taste of the tobacco and may even cause damage to the pipe itself." If you don't agree with the fundamental statement, then it really makes little difference whether you use a match or a torch to light your pipe, since you believe that neither the taste of the tobacco will be affected, nor will you be risking any danger damage to the pipe itself. Alternately, you may believe that prudent lighting technique is more important, and it is possible to use a torch with impunity.

Why is this important? Because different lighting fuels burn at different temperatures, and the difference is not insignificant. In terms of fuel temperature, we have, in this order:

Wooden matches/hemp string

Zippo or other fuel lighters

Butane lighters

Torch lighters
Both the butane and the butane torch burn at significantly higher temperatures. Whether you use a Bic or an Old Boy, the fuel will burn at approximately 1,970 °C, more than 1000 degrees hotter than a Zippo, while the torch will burn at approximately 2600 °C. By way of contrast, the Zippo lighter will burn approximately 150 degrees hotter than a wooden match. I was unable to find a precise temperature for the hemp string because every site is a marijuana related site, and while they start off with the basic question, they wander off in all sorts of irrelevant directions. Guess they're getting something from their smoking that we're not.
It's a good idea to read the article by Neill Archer Roan referenced by number6 (above,) as it reflects his experience with different fuels. My own preference is to use wooden matches and hemp string, as I believe that the cooler flame tends to destroy less of the volatile flavor compounds present in the tobacco, and has less of a tendency to damage the rim/bowl through careless use. Of course, I also have--and use--a Zippo, a Nimrod Commander, and a Nimrod Sportsman. Love 'em all. And for certain social occasions, I pull out my Old Boy, because it looks super cool.
Returning to my fundamental statement, the extent to which you believe it to be true will have a bearing on your choice of a lighting method.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I only smoke outdoors, and it's usually fairly breezy here, so it's a Zippo+pipe insert for me. Matches tend to go out before I get the pipe lit. When I travel I buy a disposible butane lighter when I land.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Shutterbug, I do the same thing when I travel. They won't let us travel with matches, and nobody wants to have a good lighter confiscated, so buying an inexpensive butane lighter on landing is a good practical solution.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I tend to use both. Kitchen matches when I feel like putting a little more effort into the process, and a Zippo pipe lighter when I need a quick light.
I'm one stay surprised by the amount of folks who use zippo pipe lighters!!!

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I pretty much always use wooden matches. I'd like to get a lighter with a directed flame just for when I get the top of my pipe only partially lit. It would be nice to have a good directed lighter to be able to just even things out. But I've been using matches since I started smoking a pipe in 2007 and they've always worked for me. Granted, it can be a huge pain in the butt when trying to smoke outside if it's windy...but usually I'll just step into a doorway or go into my garage to light up and then move outside.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Gentlemen, thank you. This thread has been a revelation to me. As I say above, I have drifted from matches to a torch lighter - mainly through laziness. I have also found my smoking experience steadily deteriorating as pipes continually burn hot, tobacco tastes foul as it turns into charcoal, I have continual relights, and more than 3 pipes in a day turns my mouth and tongue into a scorched wasteland. Now I know why. Ravkesev's common sense explanation led me to read Neill Archer Roan's article and "Eureka!" I'm back on track. Neill's comments almost exactly match my own experience and the last two pipes, lit by match, have been wonderful! Full taste, consistent burn, no hot bowl, only 1 relight per pipe and pleasure all the way to the bottom. So simple and so bloody obvious. I have to watch my rims, but I can do that. The torch is gone and I've just bought a Zippo pipe lighter for outside. What it is to know what you're doing (wrong)!
Andy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am in agreement with Ravkesef and his very interesting and informative posting. I personally always use matches and for the most part Swan Vesta which will strike on any surface. As an aside UK safety matches would light if you strike against a pane of glass or they certainly did back in the early 1980s as I remember a chum of mine doing it in Euston Station! Zippo and other petrol lighters just kill the flavor although I do like using those long cedar matches that are for lighting cigars.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I SOOOO wanted to be cool and just use matches, but was a new pipe smoker and this just added to my frustration of packing, smoking cadence, etc. It has been almost a year into the hobby and I am a fan of this guy here, a Xikar Resource:
71Uoqq5QZnL._SL1500_.jpg

I think I paid about $35 with shipping from Amazon and haven't used a match since buying this 7 months ago.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I am in agreement with Ravkesef and his very interesting and informative posting. I personally always use matches and for the most part Swan Vesta which will strike on any surface. As an aside UK safety matches would light if you strike against a pane of glass or they certainly did back in the early 1980s as I remember a chum of mine doing it in Euston Station! Zippo and other petrol lighters just kill the flavor although I do like using those long cedar matches that are for lighting cigars.
I had no idea you could light safety matches on glass! Wow, you live and learn. Whenever I use matches I just buy non safeties and light them on the sole of my shoe.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I cant fit a box of wood matches in my pocket.
Tried bics, and the special pipe butane lighters with the built in tools, and both scorched my rims no matter how careful I was.
I found I have to reallllly try hard to scorch a rim with my zippo pipe lighter. Been using it ever since. The carbon build up growing on it though is another story. I wish I could build a cake as well.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, it seems obvious to use matches for "special" pipes, i.e., those that have very narrow rims or a plateau, and modify my Zippo with a pipe attachment. Hope the Zippo people can help me with this. I've always have been very fond of the Zippo.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
You don't need an attachment, just the one with a hole in the sides of the cage surrounding the wick. Should find at least one in any zippo display rack.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
My Zippo pipe lighter or my Bic. The Zippo is much better if there is a breeze.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Yaz, I have the same lighter only in black, no problems so far, but it could be because out of habit I reach for my Zippo.
I tried the butane insert for the Zippo, but I wasn't really happy with it, which is why I bought the Xikar. But somehow the first thing I reach for is my Zippo with the standard pipe insert. Yes, constant refills are a pain, but now I'm prepared, fluid in the travel trailer, truck, and house.
The Old Boy that my wife bought me comes out when we have company.
Sparrow, I noticed that ebay has a ton of new Pipe Zippos lately. They seem to have expanded due to demand.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I use matches at home on the patio but out on the trout stream or elsewhere outside I use a Zippo. It also solves the problem of used match disposal. Happy puffin', :puffy:
Dave
Edit: just got done reading number6's post of the Thermodynamics of Pipe Smoking. My conclusion - moderation in all things is best, including lighting & puffing your favorite blend. 8)

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I am a matches lighter, mostly for the temperature issue with the rim of the bowl (oops, almost put an "e" between the w and the l). I like to keep the rim pristine since many of my pipes have lovely birds-eyes there.

Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.