PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Matches are just too inconsistent in quality. And due to our 'leaders' trying to save us from ourselves, the strike anywhere matches are scarce. Zippo all the way for me.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I like my Zippo with the insert for use with pipes. I also only use Zippo lighter fluid in the black can. I have used matches, but as you say they can be a "nuisance" and I'm a little leery of where I dispose of "spent" matches. The Zippo works great for me and if I strike it and get a faint lighter fluid odor, I simply let it burn off before lighting my tobacco.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Zippo for outside/windy conditions and a Corona Old Boy for inside or low wind. I use matches only if I run out of fuel!

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
:roll:

I've read several opinions based on a blog a guy did that says that the temperature of the lighter verses a match gives the tobacco less taste and more tongue bite, yaddy yaddy. After the initial light, tamp, light, the tobacco won't continue to burn as hot as a lighter or as cool as a match. Simple chemistry can explain that the tobacco once left to incinerate won't continue to burn as hot as the catalyst. If this were so, if I lit my gas heater off of an ox-acetylene torch, my energy bill would go down. It just doesn't work that way.
If however, you light your pipe with an ox-acetylene torch, your 4Noggins bill will go up. Way up. Every time.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Lighter for me. Preferably a cricket. I find matches too contrived and a lot of a farce. Plus where I live's windy as hell so I may as well try fart the thing lit as use matches.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Beattie Jet Lighter!

The mirror like finish lets me see in the bowl for my initial light and the jet shoots deep into the bowl for the relights. It takes a few seconds for the jet to start up so it sets the mood for me to slow down and enjoy all the rituals that come with the experience.

Plus they are antiques from the late 40's which I find so cool! They dont make em like this anymore!
BeattieJetLighter.jpg

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I have found that bic lighters give the tobacco a terribly taste (in my opinion.) I enjoy the natural, smokey flavor of matches from time to time, but I mostly use my Zippo Pipe Lighter. It gives a different taste to the tobacco than the matches, but it doesn't add anything unnatural like the bic lighters. Hope this helps.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Zippo pipe lighter most of the time. I keep a couple boxes of kitchen matches on hand for if it's nice out and I'm taking my time and smoking out on the porch. But I'm almost always on the move while smoking, hiking here or there, and I don't want to litter with spent matches. Also a Zippo is a lot less of a hassle if you're on the go.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I like to uses matches when the mood strikes, but I always carry a Djeep lighter on me, I find them to be much better than Bics as the Djeeps have an adjustable flame and hold more fluid.

~Ron

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have no preference, but I usually use a lighter. If I'm smoking either of my two meerschaum pipes then I typically use matches. If I use a lighter I'm usually using a Bic as my Zippo's usually leave a brief fuel flavor on the initial couple puffs. Which is annoying.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I try to use matches as much as possible, but I always have a Bic or Zippo on hand to use when matches aren't convenient. The one thing I would never use is a torch lighter!

hammerhorror

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
I used to be an exclusive match user until my wife bought a Vector pipe lighter for my last birthday. Love that thing.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Lighters for me. Zippo with a pipe insert. The only problem with the zippo is I find myself constantly refilling it with lighter fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.