March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
So, around the 7th bowl in the ol’ Altinay. Been alternating between Carolina Red Flake, and Luxury Navy Flake.

A couple questions… you might be able to tell in the front facing photo that there are a couple scratches that I put into the bowl… is this just the wax, or did I scratch the meerschaum??? I was just trying to get some debris off and used my nail.

Also, I had my thumb placed on the left side of the bowl, and lost myself in thought… when I came to, I saw there was a thumbprint, haha… instead of just leaving it, I tried to wipe it away, but then a slight blackened residue was left behind. Is that just the wax? Any way to clean it up, or, is it just now in the meerschaum?

Attachments

• B35A3ED5-128B-4214-A437-5C8A1A3515EB.jpeg
    B35A3ED5-128B-4214-A437-5C8A1A3515EB.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 7AECBD70-5C4B-4C17-802F-5EE933761A45.jpeg
    7AECBD70-5C4B-4C17-802F-5EE933761A45.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DEB1AA71-1249-4E4C-B02C-790DADEBADE1.jpeg
    DEB1AA71-1249-4E4C-B02C-790DADEBADE1.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 6C60F559-D81D-484E-A375-683F4EEF126A.jpeg
    6C60F559-D81D-484E-A375-683F4EEF126A.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 15
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
So, around the 7th bowl in the ol’ Altinay. Been alternating between Carolina Red Flake, and Luxury Navy Flake.

A couple questions… you might be able to tell in the front facing photo that there are a couple scratches that I put into the bowl… is this just the wax, or did I scratch the meerschaum??? I was just trying to get some debris off and used my nail.

Also, I had my thumb placed on the left side of the bowl, and lost myself in thought… when I came to, I saw there was a thumbprint, haha… instead of just leaving it, I tried to wipe it away, but then a slight blackened residue was left behind. Is that just the wax? Any way to clean it up, or, is it just now in the meerschaum?
You can scratch the pipe, so if I'm wiping away any debris I use a soft rag. I made the same mistake years ago. Learned the hard way. I have multiple meers with some scratches in them. It's just character for the pipe at this point.

You can leave prints behind. I have pipes where you can tell I hold them. To me it's just part of the coloring and more character for the pipe. If you rewax the pipe it may be possible to remove them but it just depends on the pipe and how much of a print there is.

Overall I wouldn't worry about it. It's character for the pipe. ;)

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I

Used to baby my meerschaum pipes but found that I'd lost to much pleasure smoking them worrying about a scratch or finger prints. Enjoy your pipe and keep building Character. 🤙✌️

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ending the month with a bowl of Quiet Nights in the Parrot.

s-l1600.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thanks to all who participated. It looks like there were a handful of you that pulled those meers off the shelf and enjoyed them, and others just continued their normal routine. Others made new meer purchases which is great to see as well.

It was a productive MMM for me as I smoked 21 of my 23 meers. I bought a new meer and I moved another one on to someone else to enjoy.

Thanks for playing everyone, but just because March is over doesn't mean it's time to shelve the meers. Keep them meers smoking year round and enjoy.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Thanks to all who participated. It looks like there were a handful of you that pulled those meers off the shelf and enjoyed them, and others just continued their normal routine. Others made new meer purchases which is great to see as well.

It was a productive MMM for me as I smoked 21 of my 23 meers. I bought a new meer and I moved another one on to someone else to enjoy.

Thanks for playing everyone, but just because March is over doesn't mean it's time to shelve the meers. Keep them meers smoking year round and enjoy.

I’m on a hell-bent mission to color one of mine. I think it’s the only pipe I’m gonna touch for a few weeks/months.

It’ll get shelved once I find another Altinay to race to 500 bowls for a cake check.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
I’m on a hell-bent mission to color one of mine. I think it’s the only pipe I’m gonna touch for a few weeks/months.

It’ll get shelved once I find another Altinay to race to 500 bowls for a cake check.
I’m in the same boat: don’t see myself enjoying briar for at least a few months. Excited to show it off next year! Thanks y’all for the wisdom, fellowship and knowledge.