March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I know people make a practice of it, but I've always gotten good coloring without the need to apply more wax.
I don't do it very often. Every couple of years or so. I do it mainly because I handle my pipes like my briars, so I give them a new coat of wax when I think they need it. Do they need it... probably not, but I do it anyway.

NoogaPipe

Lurker
Jan 11, 2022
Probably the least smoked of my Baki pipes, this squat bulldog is my go-to English-only meerschaum. I’ve been on a year-long Virginia kick with only a few exceptions. One of those exceptions, though, is Loch Ness by Drucquer & Sons. Definitely my top blend named after a cryptozoological marine reptile stuck in a lake.
F60F965B-F0F7-4AA5-81A9-757D0095CF35.jpeg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
What wax are you using? Loving the way these buffed out
I bought the beeswax on ebay a long time ago, but I'm sure you can get it off Amazon these days. It's called: Liquid Gold Beeswax (White) and comes in an 8 oz bag. The wax comes in small pellet form.

In my first post that didn't load the pictures correctly, the image that is listed as an attachment has the bag in it. On the counter behind the pipes with the green label.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You ever try carnauba? Wonder what that would do.....
Nope, only use beeswax. I have yellow (traditional beeswax, and white beeswax).

I had heard of people using extra virgin olive oil in place of wax, as back in the day they used sperm whale oil. I tried it on an old pipe I don't have anymore. I didn't notice it do anything. It didn't hurt the pipe, but it didn't help show off any color either. It just gave it a shine that was it.

Reactions: didimauw

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Grousemoor this evening in a 1901 Sam McLardy & Co. Meerschaum with a vulcanite stem for March Meerschaum Madness.

View attachment 211533

Pipedia has some info on Sam McLardy for those into reading about pipe history.

Oooh Lanzola pipe shop is selling a 1902 Sam McLardy Cutty, looks like a meer to me.

Maybe something @ashdigger or @condorlover1 might like? 🤔
That juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Nope - no way I’d wait that long - unless I do?

I was gonna christen it when I notched a tag on a Dall Sheep. I didn’t connect this past season and then found out I got into grad school doing research on Dall Sheep. Now I’m saving it for if/when I’m awarded that degree. Starting as an MS but hoping I can convince them to let me go straight for the PhD. If that happens, it’ll meet fire upon completion. Only time will tell.
That pipe is well deserving of the wait. I will probably never know the achievement of a doctorate, but I do know I’ve tended bar and waited tables alongside many phd’s and not any folks that have punched a tag on a Dall Sheep😉

Reactions: BarrelProof

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That pipe is well deserving of the wait. I will probably never know the achievement of a doctorate, but I do know I’ve tended bar and waited tables alongside many phd’s and not any folks that have punched a tag on a Dall Sheep😉

And I finally got my hands on some Stonehaven, so I know what tobacco it’ll be loaded with when the time comes. I’m beyond excited, I just have to figure out how to temper it for several years!

Reactions: Browny and keith929