PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Can you share the noodle press video here? I’d be interested to have a watch.
This one one of them, this guy leaves it in a baggy in the press … the first one i saw didn’t do that, also this guy does it for many days where as the first video he did a 25 hour minimum usually 48 and longer if you want and again no baggy he just stuffs the tube full. I just wanted to find video because i didn’t get how the noodle presses i saw in Amazon would work… i was looking at the wrong kind ?

Pressing tobacco

Reactions: vosBghos

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
The only blending I've done, is occasionally I'll add about 1/3 C&D Granulated Perique to a bowl of 2/3 C&D Kelly's Coin. I don't think that even counts as blending, lol. I just do it sometimes when I want perique with Kelly's Coin. It does work out well though.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
This one one of them, this guy leaves it in a baggy in the press … the first one i saw didn’t do that, also this guy does it for many days where as the first video he did a 25 hour minimum usually 48 and longer if you want and again no baggy he just stuffs the tube full. I just wanted to find video because i didn’t get how the noodle presses i saw in Amazon would work… i was looking at the wrong kind ?

Pressing tobacco
Thanks, I’ll have a watch, when I get a minute.

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
The only blending I've done, is occasionally I'll add about 1/3 C&D Granulated Perique to a bowl of 2/3 C&D Kelly's Coin. I don't think that even counts as blending, lol. I just do it sometimes when I want perique with Kelly's Coin. It does work out well though.
Sounds like a high powered blend. Is it stronger than Exclusive or Bayou Morning? I like those two.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I just bought another pack of small jars because I keep running out of containers for experimental mixtures.
I have found that one of my larger expenses and unforeseen expenses are quality freaking jars! The larger ones are outrageous but are great so you get what you pay for.

If you believe the videos you get months worth it marrying time in just a couple days. If it isn’t what you want you can crumble it up and add something and try again.

Florian D.

Lurker
Mar 15, 2021
I have a mix that I call Golden Latakia and it goes as followed: 2 parts of HH Latakia Flake and 1 part of Golden Sliced. The GS just gives more sweetnes and roundnes to the HH in my opinion.
The second is HH Burley Flake aged 3 years mixed with Capstan Gold Flake aged 3 years 1/1. Makes a really great VABUR. I call it Misty Gateway.
Both mixes are rubbed out completely. Need to be smoked very slow to pick up all the great nuances.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I’m not sure I’d describe it as blending but I routinely take 'plain' aromatic cavendish (golden or black) and mix with cherry cavendish (usually a 75/25 split) and have not been disappointed.
Although I do this in part to ‘dilute’ the cherry down a bit as well as adding something to the plainer cavendish
I have a bit of imbalance of cherry cav at the moment so am planning to mix with st Bruno with a 50/50 ratio to see how that turns out...

For mixing its just all chucked into a sealable plastic tub and rolled around by hand for 5 minutes or so then stuck into glass jars

Reactions: AJL67

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I have a mix that I call Golden Latakia and it goes as followed: 2 parts of HH Latakia Flake and 1 part of Golden Sliced. The GS just gives more sweetnes and roundnes to the HH in my opinion.
The second is HH Burley Flake aged 3 years mixed with Capstan Gold Flake aged 3 years 1/1. Makes a really great VABUR. I call it Misty Gateway.
Both mixes are rubbed out completely. Need to be smoked very slow to pick up all the great nuances.
I can't resist the 'Misty Gateway', just made some up pressed it very tightly into a small mylar stuck a label on the front with the recipe,name, date and threw it into a shopping bag.To be reviewed in a couple of months.I learnt very quickly when mixing blends to put a label on the front to avoid WTF is this scenario.

• Haha
Reactions: Scottmi and AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I can't resist the 'Misty Gateway', just made some up pressed it very tightly into a small mylar stuck a label on the front with the recipe,name, date and threw it into a shopping bag.To be reviewed in a couple of months.I learnt very quickly when mixing blends to put a label on the front to avoid WTF is this scenario.
I have 15 jars on top of my cigar cabinet that are my daily rotation, I’ll often put a little tobacco in one of the leather trays to dry out and 3 hours later (it is Florida after all) I’ll forget which it was, now i leave the labeled jar by the tray while drying. Ah getting old ?

OldWill

Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I do a lot of cross-blending, but here is my overall favorite concoction that I call "When a Bloke Needs a Friend":
4 parts cube cut burley, 1 part Bayou Morning ribbon cut, and pinch of blending Cyprian latakia.

I always liked Briggs Mixture, so this is my American English tribute to it.