PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Ok @AJL67, I’ve filled the press with some tobacco that I am not overly bothered about, sort of as a test pressing.
Do you think that adding a little bit of liquid (I’m thinking whisky or rum) is a good idea?
I’m going to leave the press until Sunday (some 48 hrs, there or there abouts) and see what we have at the end of it.

Reactions: AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ok @AJL67, I’ve filled the press with some tobacco that I am not overly bothered about, sort of as a test pressing.
Do you think that adding a little bit of liquid (I’m thinking whisky or rum) is a good idea?
I’m going to leave the press until Sunday (some 48 hrs, there or there abouts) and see what we have at the end of it.
Really have no idea lol but just guessing if you were going to add liquid that you should use some kind of misting / spray bottle maybe to keep it light and even?

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Really have no idea lol but just guessing if you were going to add liquid that you should use some kind of misting / spray bottle maybe to keep it light and even?
The tobacco I have just thrown into the press is the stuff that’s been hanging round the back of my cellar; the type of stuff I haven’t bought for a few years, only to find out that production moved somewhere else and they didn’t take the old flavour with them on the move.
I’ll have a play around with things but I did turn some old, really dried out flake into a rum flake, by using less than half a shot glass of rum to bring it back to life.
Best advice I can give you is when you do find a mix that works for you is to PRESS IT! I press my own mixtures between two blocks of wood in a vice for about a week. Much better than waiting 6-12 months for the tobaccos to meld loosely in a jar.
Not many of my attempts at home blending have been successful but here's a few that I do keep repeating.
Sam Gawith's FVF / BBF.
St. Bruno / Uncle Toms (Germain's).
Rum Twist / Brown Flake Unscented (Gawith Hoggarth's).
Condor / Black Cherry.
Carey's #7 Dark Flake / Brown Flake Unscented / Perique & a pinch of Black & Brown (my own version of 3 Nuns).
pressing is now underway @simong ?

• Love
Reactions: simong and AJL67

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've tried the following mixtures on recommendations and neither were all that great:
  • 50/50 mix of Lane BCA and Carter Hall
  • 50/50 mix of Newminster 400 and Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
I've also seen 50/50 mix of Arango Balkan Supreme and Gawith Firedance recommended, but haven't tried it.

Ultimately, I'd rather just smoke each blend individually.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Two of my go tos are 507-S, 515- C and some TS-20. The second is Sutliff TS-2, 507-S with TS-20. Just simple Red VA/Per blends but great for when I'm doing farm work or something and don't wanna burn the more expensive stuff. They also press very well so I can stack the pucks in a jar to save room.

Tonight I mixed a little Picayune in with some McConnell Red VA. Had both of them beside me and thought there was some potential there. Well see in a few weeks!
I've found its fun to experiment with my favorite components now that I know what I like in a blend - red VA and perique. The results are never the same. But damn do I wish there were more options for perique. Stokkebye needs to bring back 311

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Your noodle press one looks a bit like a pork pie. ??
What weight did you use for the bottom, loaf tin, one?

The loaf press was a failed experiment - one time only. I created a silicone mold to make a resin block to use as the press, then c-clamps. I believe I pressed about 8 ounces (the picture only shows an end that I cut off today).

The goal was a 'Sam Gawith' sized plug, but tighter than it yielded. Others have done this much better, so I'll yield to them. If I need to do it again, I'll buy a press from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KRKVBK8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=A17PBJ8O60AV7K&psc=1

71H+g5Ib5eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Well I’ve just discovered my love for Sutliff 507-S and it’s opened my eyes to the world of “Hey a little bit of those would really be great in …. Everything!” Some great information here but what really picked up on was the noodle press, found a video online of it and then i understood, oh that noodle press not the one that cranks out the sheets of noodles”, needless to say i ordered one right away. For $18 it’s worth a look. Seems you can do a fumble kake in between 24 and 48 hours, this will be my first test when it arrives.
I got some of that stoved on the way excited to try it in a 50/50 burley

• Love
Reactions: Scottmi

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Love to blend 60/40 % five brothers and Kendal dark , as they are both shags , I make a 5 mini pinch alternating in the bowl parfait ( packing very tight) beginning and ending with the 5 bros , great night alone in the garage smoke

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Love to blend 60/40 % five brothers and Kendal dark , as they are both shags , I make a 5 mini pinch alternating in the bowl parfait ( packing very tight) beginning and ending with the 5 bros , great night alone in the garage smoke
Whoa, that sounds good. I just did a quick mix for a bowl with 5 Bros and Two Timer, and it was great (longer burning due to Two Timer, and a stronger nic due to the 5 Bros, and they were great together). I'm waiting on my press, I wonder if 5 Bros and Dark Birdseye pressed together would be good --- you know, for those of us that like getting punched in the face once in a while, lol.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’m going to find out Friday when my birdseye arrives, When I want to knock out and not even dream I replace the Kendal w/ H&H BDF