PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So just read a post by Earnie Q that you should hear tobacco before pressing. 1 pound in a ziplock bag with holes punched in it in a microwave for 2-3 min. Will be trying this.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve
So just read a post by Earnie Q that you should hear tobacco before pressing. 1 pound in a ziplock bag with holes punched in it in a microwave for 2-3 min. Will be trying this.
done a test run, probably about 1/2 Oz of three different blends. I pinged it in the microwave for 20 seconds which seemed like it created plenty of steam.
One thing noted - the tobacco became crispy as soon as I took it out of the bag and put it in the press; it might need pressing whilst still in the ziploc bag?

Reactions: chopper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’ve

done a test run, probably about 1/2 Oz of three different blends. I pinged it in the microwave for 20 seconds which seemed like it created plenty of steam.
One thing noted - the tobacco became crispy as soon as I took it out of the bag and put it in the press; it might need pressing whilst still in the ziploc bag?
Funny i turned a tin of EMP into crispy string onions myself. I have some left over mixed tobacco that I’m going to experiment with, i think a couple things. First less holes in the baggy, less time and more tobacco. Also going to let it sit in the baggy for a couple minutes before open8ng to let it rehydrate with the steam. I’m assuming you opened yours fairly quick as well?

I did go head and press this anyway I’ll just do 48 hours.

Reactions: chopper

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
I made up a batch of “Ogden’s Mixture” a few years back - equal amounts of Gold Block and St Bruno and I’ve just revisited it this evening; it really has married together nicely which took me a little by surprise because Gold Block on it’s own is like smoking razor blades in my opinion.

I was just wondering if anyone has a home made blend that they make up that they might like to share with us? Maybe Haunted Bookshop and SWR aromatic or Three Nuns and a dash of Navy Flake or something?

I’d be interested to see if there are any suggestions that I should have a crack at?
Keep my tobacco in mason jars and when get near the bottom the rest gets dumped into my "kitchen sink" jar. Periodically give it a good shake and let it age together. OzPiper nailed it with referring to cleaning out the fridge...

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Funny i turned a tin of EMP into crispy string onions myself. I have some left over mixed tobacco that I’m going to experiment with, i think a couple things. First less holes in the baggy, less time and more tobacco. Also going to let it sit in the baggy for a couple minutes before open8ng to let it rehydrate with the steam. I’m assuming you opened yours fairly quick as well?

I did go head and press this anyway I’ll just do 48 hours.
Yeh, I took it out too quickly; almost immediately to be fair. I only put one hole in the bag but I think you might be right: let it sit in the bag for a minute or two to rehydrate because I think it’ll stay warm in the bag for several minutes.

Reactions: AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Agr
Yeh, I took it out too quickly; almost immediately to be fair. I only put one hole in the bag but I think you might be right: let it sit in the bag for a minute or two to rehydrate because I think it’ll stay warm in the bag for several minutes.
Im sure doing a pound 2 minutes would be fine, hard to reduce that method for 2oz ?. Maybe try the oven stoving heating method in a jar at 190 but not got 2 hours. Might look into that as well. At this point i might toss a baggy with no holes on the back porch in the Florida heat for 20 min….hmm i like that idea a lot actually.

zking

Lurker
Dec 8, 2019
montreal
2 excellent home blends - Shelby Foote blend (2/3 Edward G Robinson +1/3 half &Half ...as per his son huger) smoked in what else...MM country gentleman.
2nd great home blend paladin piper mix ( 1/2 swr regular + 1/2 half & half...) Smoked in a MM legend. Enjoy ?

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans