PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got a couple but I have more tobacco than they keep in stock and I only buy estate meers and commission briars from one artisan.

Reactions: Nevaditude

MyCombOver

Lurker
May 15, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Sadly, though there is no limit to the number of "tobacco shops" that are manned by men that smell like cat pee and try to upsell you bongs that look like that smartass parrot from Aladdin in my area, true brick and mortar tobacconists are not in any of my neighboring counties. It's doubly vexing when you know that WV has the highest percentage of smokers in the country. I know pipes and cigars are niche, but if such an enterprise had any chance of success anywhere, one would think WV may be such a place. Alas.

I believe there may be a B&M in Washington, PA., and that would be roughly a 45 drive from where I am at. But when I try to find info out about them, I come up empty. No social media presence, no website, no reviews, nothing.
Allegheny Smokeworks is the only Pittsburgh-area B&M that is worth it. Too bad it’s on the wrong side of the city for you!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I work very part time and hang out at The Briar Patch in downtown LaCrosse, WI. We carry a decent variety of pipes and tobaccos. Here in SoAZ I hang out at Anthony’s on Broadway in Tucson AZ. I’m usually smoking cigars there but they also have a pretty good selection of pipes and tobaccos.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Allegheny Smokeworks is the only Pittsburgh-area B&M that is worth it. Too bad it’s on the wrong side of the city for you!
Right? Still, I do find myself in Pittsburgh every now and then. I like it there, but Christ, driving through there is a nightmare for me. Even so, next time I adventure out there, I'll have to check this place out. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: MyCombOver

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Pipes by George in Raleigh N.C., between the NCSU campus and the downtown on Hillsborough Street, is a classic traditional pipe and cigar shop with a walk-in humidor, a plank floor, a dart board, a smoking table (grandfathered in), a wall of pipes, a row of bulk tobacco jars and an inventory of tins, and a pipe-guru proprietor who is soft spoken but authoritative. If you live near or visit town, a definite destination.
Do they do phone orders?
I’ve never tried their house blends but George is a super chill and great guy.

coletrain4vt

Lurker
Nov 16, 2022
Hillsborough NC
Pipes by George in Raleigh N.C., between the NCSU campus and the downtown on Hillsborough Street, is a classic traditional pipe and cigar shop with a walk-in humidor, a plank floor, a dart board, a smoking table (grandfathered in), a wall of pipes, a row of bulk tobacco jars and an inventory of tins, and a pipe-guru proprietor who is soft spoken but authoritative. If you live near or visit town, a definite destination.
I stopped by this past Saturday and got a nice briar works pipe, escudo, dart set, and board. My wife and I spent at least an hour in the relatively small shop just chatting with George. He was very polite and extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend this place.

Two other locations in the region worth visiting is Milan Tobacconist in Roanoke VA, its the best shop I've ever been in, and Winston's Humidor in Richmond VA. Winston's is mostly cigars but very well kept and premium inventory.

andrei.momanu

Lurker
Dec 7, 2022
Quiet Corner of CT
I just found a RYO/cigars shop that sells tinned pipe tobacco 30 mins away a couple of days ago.Other then that, 20 cigar stores, but nothing for pipe lovers less then 60 mins away.
I used to drive an hour to Owls shop In Wooster, Mass , but they are moving to NH :( . I do not know if they age their tins or not, but I got a tin of Mac Barren latakia blend packed in September 2010 last time I was there.

• Wow

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if Pipes by George does phone orders. I think his number is online. The thing is, the shop is essentially a one-man operation with helpers being part-time, it seems. On one occasion, I ran into his son tending shop. At that time, he was a teacher, but he was off on break and had worked hard to get his dad to take time off. I think most of his business is walk-ins.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I don't know if Pipes by George does phone orders. I think his number is online. The thing is, the shop is essentially a one-man operation with helpers being part-time, it seems. On one occasion, I ran into his son tending shop. At that time, he was a teacher, but he was off on break and had worked hard to get his dad to take time off. I think most of his business is walk-ins.
My office is a few blocks away on the corner of Hillsboro and Glenwood. I stop in at least once a week and never leave empty handed. I've been going to George's since the late eighties when I was a teenager.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I'm lucky, I live 45 minutes from Boswell's in Alexandria, PA. There is the Cigar Den in State College where I live that does carry a limited inventory of pipe stuff. Until recently the local Weis supermarkets and Rite Aid carried Carter Hall and some other codger blends but no longer.
Times change, when I moved here in 1981 there were three pipe B&M's in town, all gone.

• Sad

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Came across one in the outskirts of Charlotte NC called McCrannies. Nice small shop encircled by a strip mall. Friendly staff. Only place I found that had some meershaum pipes for sale. Shame it's 3 hours away. They do take internet orders however thankfully, and sadly, they don't put their meershaums on the website. Loved the store when I was there to visit.

Was the 4143 Park rd. Location

Heypat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2020
Shelby township Michigan, 48315
Fortunate to be about 45 minutes from Paul’s pipe shop in flint Michigan. When you open the door it’s like stepping back in time. One of the few if not the only store in Michigan it’s legal to smoke a pipe inside (grandfathered). Michigan law does not allow internet tobacco sales but if you call them on the phone they will ship. They have several in house blends that are excellent. Not a huge Aro fan but the Arrowhead blend is excellent, one of a few blends I purchase a pound or more at a time. They also have a huge stock of older pipes and their own line of oil cured pipes made on site in the basement. If you ever get the chance to stop by ask to see the museum upstairs. 1E51E972-D16B-4AD1-AF8B-9C9F6D311D0D.png