PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
What is your go-to local B&M? Like, let’s say a max of 45min one-way trip.

Kinda selfishly posting this as a one-stop shop for those occasional Tiki trips I take. So many vape shops now show up on Google when you search for tobacco shops. It’s great to have personalized recs. Plus, ya know, might run into some of the members here!

I’ve had several ppl reply when asked, but thought it might be nice to have it all in one place

If there is already a thread like this, I didn’t see it and I’ll defer to the mods.

🤘🏻

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I built my cellar in 2012-2013 most of my bulk tobacco came from small mom and pops with little to no internet presence. They were happy to sell me 5 pounds plus of Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes. I even got discounts on the 5 pound lots. I searched all the mom and pops in the low tax states and made out quite well. I had one guy sell me 12 bags of Esoterica Stonehaven at 35.00 a bag. These places still exist if you want to do the work.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Sadly, though there is no limit to the number of "tobacco shops" that are manned by men that smell like cat pee and try to upsell you bongs that look like that smartass parrot from Aladdin in my area, true brick and mortar tobacconists are not in any of my neighboring counties. It's doubly vexing when you know that WV has the highest percentage of smokers in the country. I know pipes and cigars are niche, but if such an enterprise had any chance of success anywhere, one would think WV may be such a place. Alas.

I believe there may be a B&M in Washington, PA., and that would be roughly a 45 drive from where I am at. But when I try to find info out about them, I come up empty. No social media presence, no website, no reviews, nothing.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Closest B&M to me is an 80 mile drive south on Interstates 5 and 405 (the latter of which all Angelenos know to avoid like a 50/50 bowl of Captain Black Grape and salvia). Tobacco Trader is the last B&M in all of Los Angeles, as Kramer's and The Tinderbox are both history. The proprietors are nice folks, and they've got a decent selection, but like most B&Ms, it's tough to stretch a buck there. Consequently, I'm limited to small purchases here and there as a show of support. Last time I left with HH Acadian Perique, C&D 8 State Burley, Mac Baren Golden Extra, and C&D House Reserve (this last one being the main reason for my visit).

I shudder to think about where the next nearest B&M is. It'd be a toss-up as to whether I'd be spending more on tobacco or gas. Hemorrhaging fiat currency either way. 🤑

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Closest B&M to me is an 80 mile drive south on Interstates 5 and 405 (the latter of which all Angelenos know to avoid like a 50/50 bowl of Captain Black Grape and salvia). Tobacco Trader is the last B&M in all of Los Angeles, as Kramer's and The Tinderbox are both history. The proprietors are nice folks, and they've got a decent selection, but like most B&Ms, it's tough to stretch a buck there. Consequently, I'm limited to small purchases here and there as a show of support. Last time I left with HH Acadian Perique, C&D 8 State Burley, Mac Baren Golden Extra, and C&D House Reserve (this last one being the main reason for my visit).

I shudder to think about where the next nearest B&M is. It'd be a toss-up as to whether I'd be spending more on tobacco or gas. Hemorrhaging fiat currency either way. 🤑
Visiting my parents in California, I was amazed to find a Tinderbox still in existence in OC at South Coast Plaza of all places. Maybe last year? They actually had a nice selection. Tobacco Barn off of the 5 near Irvine had some pipe tobacco. There is a nice cigar shop in Anaheim Hills, that has a decent pipe selection as well. That’s my two cents for So. Cal pipe retail.

In Arizona, I’m spoiled, I am 10 Minutes from Stag Tobacconists in Scottsdale, AZ. Huge pipe collection, huge pipe tobacco selection. Fantastic shop.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I concur. That's a four hour drive round trip, at minimum. Got a good friend in Orange, so I may swing by one or more of these places next time wifey and I visit.

SP.com just makes it so easy, it's hard to even give B&Ms a thought anymore.

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Visiting my parents in California, I was amazed to find a Tinderbox still in existence in OC at South Coast Plaza of all places. Maybe last year? They actually had a nice selection. Tobacco Barn off of the 5 near Irvine had some pipe tobacco. There is a nice cigar shop in Anaheim Hills, that has a decent pipe selection as well. That’s my two cents for So. Cal pipe retail.

In Arizona, I’m spoiled, I am 10 Minutes from Stag Tobacconists in Scottsdale, AZ. Huge pipe collection, huge pipe tobacco selection. Fantastic shop.
Fantastic! I’m usually in Scottsdale for Tiki Oasis in April. That goes on the list!

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Incredible. I’ve never been. I was planning on moving to Buenos Aires in 2004. And then I met a woman that ended up my wife. Never did make it to Argentina. This place looks incredible.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes by George in Raleigh N.C., between the NCSU campus and the downtown on Hillsborough Street, is a classic traditional pipe and cigar shop with a walk-in humidor, a plank floor, a dart board, a smoking table (grandfathered in), a wall of pipes, a row of bulk tobacco jars and an inventory of tins, and a pipe-guru proprietor who is soft spoken but authoritative. If you live near or visit town, a definite destination.