PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Apologies for necroing the thread, but I actually found a proper B&M near my neighborhood! It is called "Chesterton Cigar Co." and they are based out of Steubenville, roughly a 30-40 minute drive from my home. They just opened up around 2021 I believe. Their selection of pipes and pipe tobacco was modest, but the staff were friendly, and their selection of cigars was good. They had a pretty spacious lounge, and they also have regular game nights and bookclub events. I'm going to enquire about the book club a bit more, as it sounds intriguing.

They've a website, but it is rather sparse. But overall, I liked my experience there. I bought a pipe and a tin of Peterson's Irish Cask. It was overall a very good experience. If I find myself getting more into cigar smoking, I will likely revisit. It was nice to patronize a local business and be able to smoke in a nice lounge. It felt like stepping back in time, in a fashion.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Apologies for necroing the thread, but I actually found a proper B&M near my neighborhood! It is called "Chesterton Cigar Co." and they are based out of Steubenville, roughly a 30-40 minute drive from my home. They just opened up around 2021 I believe. Their selection of pipes and pipe tobacco was modest, but the staff were friendly, and their selection of cigars was good. They had a pretty spacious lounge, and they also have regular game nights and bookclub events. I'm going to enquire about the book club a bit more, as it sounds intriguing.

They've a website, but it is rather sparse. But overall, I liked my experience there. I bought a pipe and a tin of Peterson's Irish Cask. It was overall a very good experience. If I find myself getting more into cigar smoking, I will likely revisit. It was nice to patronize a local business and be able to smoke in a nice lounge. It felt like stepping back in time, in a fashion.
I follow them on IG, Kadesh Swanson did a pipe making demonstration there recently.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Not sure if already recommended, but McCranies off of park road in Charlotte is a great place to shop!
I was there a few months ago. Great place in store. Their web response is seriously lacking though. After a visit I had contacted them about a meershaum they had there that I had budgeted to buy. Emailed them and got responses 2-3 days in between then at the point of them looking to see if they still had the pipe- never heard from them again. Is a shame I live in eastern NC. 3 hour drive to Charlotte is a bit much for just a pipe. So I gave up.

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I was there a few months ago. Great place in store. Their web response is seriously lacking though. After a visit I had contacted them about a meershaum they had there that I had budgeted to buy. Emailed them and got responses 2-3 days in between then at the point of them looking to see if they still had the pipe- never heard from them again. Is a shame I live in eastern NC. 3 hour drive to Charlotte is a bit much for just a pipe. So I gave up.
Ahh thats too bad... sorry to hear this experience. I'd be happy to aid you in the search for this meershaum if youre still looking.

My only gripe with them is that they don't offer any C&D tobaccos, which I think is a shame since they are probably one of the most local tobacco blenders. McCranies employee said that C&D has too many offerings that it would be futile and try and offer their products, but I would at least like for them to stock the best sellers. Oh well.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve never dealt with them but you might consider giving them a call if you really love that pipe. A lot of these places are older establishments that are trying to adjust to the times by having a web presence but where they live is face to face or over the phone interactions.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
I’ve never dealt with them but you might consider giving them a call if you really love that pipe. A lot of these places are older establishments that are trying to adjust to the times by having a web presence but where they live is face to face or over the phone interactions.
I could appreciate that if it weren't for their online store they also have. The guys that are in there are about my age running between 30's and 50's. When I did visit the gentleman behind the counter mentioned the online store but also stated they don't (for whatever reason) list their meershaums. Which is largely why I emailed them.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Ahh thats too bad... sorry to hear this experience. I'd be happy to aid you in the search for this meershaum if youre still looking.

My only gripe with them is that they don't offer any C&D tobaccos, which I think is a shame since they are probably one of the most local tobacco blenders. McCranies employee said that C&D has too many offerings that it would be futile and try and offer their products, but I would at least like for them to stock the best sellers. Oh well.
I appreciate the offer. That was months ago and the money got re allocated to something else.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

That’s ridiculous, sounds like old insider industry beef to me. At the end of the day we all know that selling 10-20 C&D/GL.P blends will not only satisfy the customer which should be the bottom line but also fly off the shelves which is the bottom line,in both ways ,old beef is bad for business.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I have a few Davidus stores within that 45 minute radius. They're pretty good for cigars, but limited to a few Lane bulks and a few C&D/Pease tins. But luckily I have a motorcycle that I like to take longer rides on. Gettysburg Cigar Company isn't too far out of that radius, just over an hour away. On days off, I've made the 2.5 got rid to Winchester, Virginia to spend a happy hour out two at John B. Hayes. I would recommend anyone in the area stop in there. They have as much of more pipe tobacco than cigars.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I have a few Davidus stores within that 45 minute radius. They're pretty good for cigars, but limited to a few Lane bulks and a few C&D/Pease tins. But luckily I have a motorcycle that I like to take longer rides on. Gettysburg Cigar Company isn't too far out of that radius, just over an hour away. On days off, I've made the 2.5 got rid to Winchester, Virginia to spend a happy hour out two at John B. Hayes. I would recommend anyone in the area stop in there. They have as much of more pipe tobacco than cigars.
Will be up that ways soon! Thanks for the tip!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
In the New Orleans area the best place to go for pipes and pipe tobacco is Mayan Imports on 18th St. in Metairie. They have close to 100 pipes on display including Nordings, Savinelli, Peterson, Rinaldo's and Ardors. The tinned pipe tobacco offerings has been a little thin the past two months as they were waiting to attend the PCA show to restock. The selection of bulk tobacco is good though. The shop has a good size walk-in humidor loaded with cigars.

There have a large lounge where we hold the monthly meetings of the New Orleans Pipe Club, a smaller lounge with a table and chairs for six or eight and seating in the front for about 14. They also have a covered patio with tables and chairs for about 25.

The pipe club meets on the last Thursday of each month from 5:00 to 8:00 pm. No membership is needed to join us at a meeting.

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
Boda Pipes in Greenville SC. Last week in N Myrtle, I actually stayed a mile from SP brick and mortar store Low Country Pipe and Cigar and of course I had to go see it. Great selection of Tobacco pipes was a little less than I thought it would be but enjoyed it all the same. Lori I believe was the employee on shift and she was a gem. Picked up a Clarks Fave Sav and a couple of tins.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Boda Pipes in Greenville SC. Last week in N Myrtle, I actually stayed a mile from SP brick and mortar store Low Country Pipe and Cigar and of course I had to go see it. Great selection of Tobacco pipes was a little less than I thought it would be but enjoyed it all the same. Lori I believe was the employee on shift and she was a gem. Picked up a Clarks Fave Sav and a couple of tins.
One thing that sucks about my job. I drive by places like that and even SmokingPipes but can't visit because it's 2 in the morning and I am hauling fuel. One of these days I am going to have to make a road trip on my day off. I just have a hard time spending my days off doing more driving.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are three pipe/cigar shops in Carmel/Monterey but the best is in downtown Carmel. I forget which street, but drop me a PM if you're going to be in Carmel. It's about 1/20th the size of Iwan Ries in Chicago.

• Love

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Closest B&M to me is an 80 mile drive south on Interstates 5 and 405 (the latter of which all Angelenos know to avoid like a 50/50 bowl of Captain Black Grape and salvia). Tobacco Trader is the last B&M in all of Los Angeles, as Kramer's and The Tinderbox are both history. The proprietors are nice folks, and they've got a decent selection, but like most B&Ms, it's tough to stretch a buck there. Consequently, I'm limited to small purchases here and there as a show of support. Last time I left with HH Acadian Perique, C&D 8 State Burley, Mac Baren Golden Extra, and C&D House Reserve (this last one being the main reason for my visit).

I shudder to think about where the next nearest B&M is. It'd be a toss-up as to whether I'd be spending more on tobacco or gas. Hemorrhaging fiat currency either way. 🤑
I believe there is a pretty great shop in Simi Valley but that might be far from your area.

grand wazoo

Lurker
Jul 25, 2023
Western N.Y.
Bellzias,Smokers Haven, in West Seneca N.Y. is probably the best B&M in the state. A suburb of Buffalo, this shop has everything you need to indulge your every whim. A large selection of new and estate pipes to hand crafted originals, created by the owner and his son . A complete repair service on the premises and a large selection of both tinned and custom blended tobacco as well as a superb selection of premium cigars. There is also the Tobaccicana museum, with pipe smoking memorabilia and a smoking lounge boosting their cigar and pipe clubs. Its the go to place for all your tobacco smoking needs! They have a video on You Tube you should check out.