PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love the gadgetry of lighters, but I always light my pipes with a match. I like the sound of the match scratching and flaring, and the ultra soft flame, even though the match sticks accumulate and have to be disposed of. My wife got me a artisan match case that fits over the cardboard match box, but it will only fit the slightly smaller "wedding" match boxes, but the pleasure of the match box makes me maintain a supply of those. In a pinch, I just use a box of diamonds. It's all ritual.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Always an IM Corona old boy with impurity free butane.
Never matches. I can't stand the smell lighting them up, or the smell when they go out.
Also they ruin the taste of the tobacco for this guy at least.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Matches, a Zippo or an "Old Boy" style lighter. Anything with a soft flame really... it's too hard to get an even light with the torch

Attachments

• d35lvin-3e40df27-229b-43c1-ad35-b63fda7b6c99.jpg
    d35lvin-3e40df27-229b-43c1-ad35-b63fda7b6c99.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 0

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a number of IM Corona Pipemasters and I had two IM Corona Old Boys but one is somewhere in my house but I can't find it.
I once bought Swan Vestas matches and they were shit. I loved the fact that my Corona lighters all had built in tampers. I lost 2 of them and then one day found one of them in a tin of tobacco I hadn't smoked in months. I only use my tamper to bleed the lighter before filling and I also use it to adjust the flame height. I bought 45 pipe nails and I have ten at each place I sit in my house. I will never lose another of my IM Corona tampers.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
Matches for indoor/calm weather and Zippo with pipe insert when in the breeze or vehicle.

I prefer matches for both pipes and cigars when i am able but will use whatever is appropriate at the time.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
For 12 of my 13 years (to date) smoking pipes, I used matches.
I agree with every argument for matches listed above. You match proponents are 100% correct in everything you say.

Nevertheless, the fact is that when my kids got me a cheap, directional-flame pipe lighter (the kind with pipe tool embedded) -- which I swore I'd never get -- this past year... my pipe smoking frequency went way up.
As in, I went from a few bowls a week to a few bowls a day.

Why? I don't really know. It just happened. Lighting (and more importantly, re-lighting) is just so ... convenient now. I hardly even use my nicer pipe tamper now. The conveniece of the tool built into the lighter is just too great.

This cuts against the grain of my normal sentiments. I'm about the ritual, the liturgy, the rootedness and historicity, the nostalgia... I should be a match guy.
But facts are facts, and the fact is that my pipe smoking went way up when I got a pipe lighter. Whodathunk.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I have a number of IM Corona Pipemasters and I had two IM Corona Old Boys but one is somewhere in my house but I can't find it.
I once bought Swan Vestas matches and they were shit. I loved the fact that my Corona lighters all had built in tampers. I lost 2 of them and then one day found one of them in a tin of tobacco I hadn't smoked in months. I only use my tamper to bleed the lighter before filling and I also use it to adjust the flame height. I bought 45 pipe nails and I have ten at each place I sit in my house. I will never lose another of my IM Corona tampers.
I love my IM Corona Pipe Master, best lighter I've ever had. Long, wide tamper, good luck, easy bleeding and flame adjustment, perfect lighting, fairly durable, elegant, almost perfect in my opinion.

Reactions: jpmcwjr