PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Matches are definitely best for taste, that comes from cigar smoking days… took longer to toast and light a cigar - but, results much better. Lighters just offer better convenience. Have BIcs of different sizes, but mainly use a zippo with pipe insert. Not interested in spending big dollars on fire. I had a couple really nice lighters years ago, but at the end of the day - a flame from a $100+ lighter and one on the end of a stick both do the job. Guess it depends on who you’re trying to impress ?‍♂️

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
Matches are definitely best for taste, that comes from cigar smoking days… took longer to toast and light a cigar - but, results much better. Lighters just offer better convenience. Have BIcs of different sizes, but mainly use a zippo with pipe insert. Not interested in spending big dollars on fire. I had a couple really nice lighters years ago, but at the end of the day - a flame from a $100+ lighter and one on the end of a stick both do the job. Guess it depends on who you’re trying to impress ?‍♂️
Actually I like a feel in my hands. Feel of something mechanical, noise it's made, shape, materials... I now speak about my mi corona and Zippo lighters. At the same time matches is also very cool stuff. Wood feeling, sound when you lite it and when it's burning, process and smell when put out it.
I like impressing myself, not someone else ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me…. whatever is convenient….. most commonly lighters….. Bic or Zippo….. or matches….. any kind will do….. even the cardboard matchbook matches…… or if near a campfire… a stick.

Accessibility and convenience are the key for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Actually I like a feel in my hands. Feel of something mechanical, noise it's made, shape, materials... I now speak about my mi corona and Zippo lighters. At the same time matches is also very cool stuff. Wood feeling, sound when you lite it and when it's burning, process and smell when put out it.
I like impressing myself, not someone else ?
That in itself is impressive.
Matches are also made from a renewable resource, are biodegradable and good just to have around.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rubbish on matches "better for taste" with pipes. And good lighters aren't always bought or used to impress anyone.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Rubbish on matches "better for taste" with pipes. And good lighters aren't always bought or used to impress anyone.
? they certainly are for cigars. And I don’t think rubbish for pipes either - perhaps depends on the user. And you’re right, it’s not always.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
? they certainly are for cigars. And I don’t think rubbish for pipes either - perhaps depends on the user. And you’re right, it’s not always.
Why, with butane giving an even flame for as long as you want, and with no sulphur fumes, are matches "better for taste" in any way?

I use matches when it's all I have handy outdoors, and sometimes by choice when I am not walking or playing golf.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Why, with butane giving an even flame for as long as you want, and with no sulphur fumes, are matches "better for taste" in any way?

I use matches when it's all I have handy outdoors, and sometimes by choice when I am not walking or playing golf.
Soft butane can work fine, didn’t suggest it couldn’t and I use them for convenience all the time. Would never use a zippo for cigars, but oddly they work for pipes with far less risk of contamination. Perhaps is the method of holding over and drawing in vs under and getting that lighter fluid taste.

Matches are surely a more traditionalist approach, but I do believe overall they don’t burn as hot as gas fueled flames and they give you more control. But, without fanning the flames, I do think matches can provide a better taste for tobacco. With regard to the sulphur, if you strike a wooden match and let it flare out and past the sulphur…how is that an influence on the flavor? Method with any flame matters. Regardless of whether it is a cigar or pipe. In a world driven by convenience, a patient approach can be dismissed. But, everyone is also entitled to their own beliefs and undoubtedly owns their own taste.

I think people should use what they want. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what someone else prefers, it’s what they prefer and provides them the most enjoyment.

Reactions: Rustamgtx

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Presently I’m using longish cigar matches. I smoke outdoors and have to find a spot out of the breeze to use them. Which is a pain sometimes. But I do like using that sturdy match stick to empty/scrape the bowl after the smoke

Jun 25, 2021
England
When I go out I sometimes smoke a purito just for the sake of convenience.

So I swagger into the bus queue, unwrap the purito, and, inflated with bravado, I reach in my pocket and pull out - wait for it - yes a Bic.
The guys can hardly believe it, and say things like " Wow, that's genuine plastic, that's the real thing isn't it ?
The women throw themselves adoringly at my feet, offering themselves as human ashtrays,

I know it sounds like I'm trying to impress people with such a high-end source of ignition, but that's the kind of guy I am.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

I think people should use what they want. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what someone else prefers, it’s what they prefer and provides them the most enjoyment.
Amen.

I haven't seen anyone not agree with the above.

Yet you maintain matches are superior for lighting a pipe, and I refute your statements, not your preferences.

As to BTU's applied to the tobacco, regardless of source, it can be controlled through the judicious regulation of the flame via distance and time

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When I go out I sometimes smoke a purito just for the sake of convenience.

So I swagger into the bus queue, unwrap the purito, and, inflated with bravado, I reach in my pocket and pull out - wait for it - yes a Bic.
The guys can hardly believe it, and say things like " Wow, that's genuine plastic, that's the real thing isn't it ?
The women throw themselves adoringly at my feet, offering themselves as human ashtrays,

I know it sounds like I'm trying to impress people with such a high-end source of ignition, but that's the kind of guy I am.
You Brits knock me out with the lengths you'll go to impress a bunch of blokes in the queue!

At formal dinners I pull out my twenty year old cob, a well used off brand lighter and wait for the gasps of horror. In the queue at, say, the cinema, in my dirty jeans and shirt, I'll pull out a Dunhill spigot and a sterling lighter. We dress to impress!! Reverse snobbery is still snobbery! :)

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Amen.

I haven't seen anyone not agree with the above.

Yet you maintain matches are superior for lighting a pipe, and I refute your statements, not your preferences.

As to BTU's applied to the tobacco, regardless of source, it can be controlled through the judicious regulation of the flame via distance and time
“I think…” and “I believe…” statements are of personal opinion. And in my opinion, for my tastes and preferences, do maintain matches are better - most specially for the taste of the tobacco

I got that you didn’t agree with your first response. I don’t think you need to round home plate and head back to first. And you can refute whatever you want all day long, makes no difference to me and I didn’t know it was an argument…?‍♂️

So, let’s stick with the Amen on how people enjoy it and let everyone maintain their beliefs, opinions and preferences based on their own experiences. We can always think of others as boneheads, ridiculous, washed-up or overly pretentious all we want, but unlikely to change minds. ?

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I think people should use what they want.
Crazy talk. You'll end up in a staitjacket, young man.

I much prefer matches when seated or standing. When driving, I like the Zippo. When lying supine in the gutter, say, or when my hands are quivering too much to strike a match, I like Bics or, even better, these here lighters. These feel better in my hand because, apparently, of the round shape. They're easily refillable, but why bother?

clipper.jpg