PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
What we have here is the same product, coming off the same production line, with minor changes, marketed through 2 different channels. one more expensive and one cheaper.
Also, have you ever had a beer or eaten at Disneyland? Tobacco is cheap compared to that nonsense. Lol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What we have here is the same product, coming off the same production line, with minor changes, marketed through 2 different channels. one more expensive and one cheaper.
Like every other pipe brand but can you tell the difference between the two? You said even a neophyte could.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Like every other pipe brand but can you tell the difference between the two? You said even a neophyte could.
You are showing me the same product marketed in 2 different ways. Still they have different qualities of mouthpiece, tinting and printing. But I was referring more to the difference between a Dr Grabow and a Savinelli. Also I said "the difference between a 50 pipe and a 100 pipe" I did not say "the difference between any 50 pipe and any 100 pipe" so as to have to justify any comparison that occurs to you.

Reactions: dunnyboy and alan73

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know that the two following pipes are exactly high end, but for me they are important pieces in my motley pile.
First off, a pipe celebrating Lindbergh's epic Atlantic solo flight. It's part of a long tradition of commemorative pipes.
X6ddfpD.jpg

xqh35CC.jpg

Si2uzGF.jpg

The next one is a little bit less obvious, but no less a historical artifact. This Sasieni 8 Dot has a year hallmark for 1941. The other markings on the bowl indicate that it was made in the 1920's.
When shipments of briar came to a stop early in the War, makers scrambled to find supplies and to search their storage for briar they could turn into product. My guess is that this pipe was shelved for a flaw and was reworked, fitted with a sterling olive, and sent across the Atlantic to the US in the middle of WW2.
Perhaps consider the larger implications of what this represents.

92S1Kcw.jpg

Ux4Gx8W.jpg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I don't know if my pipes quality as high end or not. The majority of my collection are Castellos, but at the same time most are Searocks and none are smooths, let alone fine straight grains. So, I have a bunch of pipes made my the best maker (in my opinion) but they are the lowest grade they make. Oh dear me, what to do... what to do??? puffy