New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m left-handed and left eye dominant. My mother’s brother was left-handed, but, his Hong Kong teachers in school forced him to be right-handed. One of my four brothers is ambidextrous, but, writes and draws with his left. At least three of my closest art school friends are lefties.

Reactions: Kingsley and UB 40
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’m left handed, except golf & guitar.
As the clearly identified spokesman for my left-handed people I would posit a query.

Have any right handed overlords ever considered reparations to my obvious “minority” brethren?
The trauma I’ve suffered from spiral note books alone is enough to warrant reparations. And don’t even get me started on flint wheel soft flame pipe lighters.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I’m left handed, but of course like anyone else, I just use whatever hand feels natural for whatever I’m doing. In truth, I’ve only ever known maybe 3-4 lefties in my life, 12% seems a little high.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Jun 9, 2018
England
"The Devil has been associated with the left side throughout history, with Lucifer himself being most often depicted as a lefty in historic imagery.

During the 17th century it was believed that Satan would baptise his followers with the left hand. And in France, it was thought that witches would greet the Devil with their left hand.

Indeed, throughout the Salem witch trials in the 17th century, being left handed was considered evidence of being a practitioner of the dark arts."

Sorry to all the leftys on hear but i'm going with ancient superstition and ignorance on this one. You are basically devils😈

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Of my 4 siblings, all sisters, the youngest was showing signs early on that she was left handed. For reasons I never understood, my parents went to great lengths to get her to be right handed but she just didn't take to it and to this day she's a southpaw.

One thing I've often thought odd, being a confirmed right hander myself, why, if firing a bow and arrow, would I have the bow in my right hand and pull the bowstring with the left...I'd have thought the logical way would be the reverse but not so.

Also, when I was able to enjoy my pipe, it was almost always held in my left hand.

It's a strange world we live in.

Regards,
Jay.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Writing, left handed
Sports, right handed, with the exception of archery
Guitar, right handed
Knives and hammers, left handed, all other tools ambidextrous

I'm really messed up

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m completely left handed. Left eye dominant. Left footed for soccer.

Everything natural to me is left handed. My hunting rifle (7 mm mag) is left hand bolt.

But since I live among my oppressors I have learned to do some things right handed

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's mom was a lefty trained to use her right hand when that was the superstition. My older sister and my late wife's brother are both left-handed. I'm right handed but had to attempt writing left handed when I broke my right wrist as a child, and I eat my soup with my left because I have some essential tremor in my right. I find it difficult to do handwriting or drawing with my left hand; those activities seem wired to my right.

I'm skeptical of the assumptions about right and left brain. I suspect there is a lot of crossover and adaptation and individual differences. If we knew how different we are from each other, we'd be too shy to speak.

Reactions: fMf Piper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I learned to us scissors right handed. Purchased left handed scissors when an adult. Love 'em. Married a lefty so, the house, phones, writing desk and such was set up for lefties. Very convenient. The daughter is a righty so she needed her right handed scissors. Her desk, computers and mice were set for such. Little things matter.

Strangely, I work the mouse with my right and touch pads just the opposite. I shoot small arms ambidextrously equally well. Holster on the right so I could hold reports, citation books and freely drop them, should such be necessary, to rapidly acquire my handgun. No need to untangle from my pen/pencil. Again, little things matter. Especially true when things start to unravel.

Reactions: fMf Piper

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Funny conversation. I am left handed in matters of writing and I use a left handed fountain pen. I fire a pistol with my right hand and load a bolt action rifle with my right hand. Growing up my school tried to get me to use my right hand for writing since left handed writing was viewed as something to do with the devil. Once I discovered that the old one eyed bed snake liked to be stroked with the left hand all bets were off!

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Left handed here. In sport I kick with my left foot for football (soccer), I do archery left handed. I used to play golf when I was young. I played right handed, as the first club I got was a right handed one. Due to this I bat right handed at cricket. If I played baseball I would also bat right handed. I bowl left handed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From this small survey, I'd say most people here are ambidextrous to some extent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect some of the grief given left-handed people is generated by handwriting, because with the left hand you sort of pull the pen or pencil along the page from left to right, with your wrist curled around it, whereas with the right hand, you push the pen. I think the visual looks uncomfortable to right-handed people, but delightfully doesn't bother the left-handed in the least.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not all lefties use the "curl". I write with hand positioned in a mirror of the right handed folk. Pushing instead of pulling. My wrist is bent slightly back to accommodate this. I agree that many left handers "curl" the wrist so as to pull, more closely mimicking a righty. The problem in doing that, with a fountain pen, is dragging through the wet ink. We all adapt, to surmount whatever problems, in different ways.

Reactions: mso489