PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'd ask you to "cut it out", but we're all out of lefty scissors. So please proceed.

I will say, lefties have sharp elbows at the dinner table.
It’s crazy huh?

It’s almost like the world loves displaying it’s power by secluding me to the “proper” end of the table.

Don’t get me started or to “first base” about baseball, you know, AMERICAS SPORT.

• Haha
Reactions: fMf Piper

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I
Throw baseball, shoot basketball, play golf LH. Write, bowl, racket sports, play billiards RH.
I’m right handed but golf, bat and play hockey left. It’s really amazing to me that you throw with your left hand and write with your right hand. I do both with my right hand.

How’s your penmanship?
Do you throw like a girl?

Just kidding - it’s a pretty unique combination

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've taught piano, guitar (and other things) for 15 years. I'm amazed by how few left-handers I've encountered. I know they say it's 12% or whatever, but I've had around a thousand students (give or take) and very few of them have been left-handed. Of my 45 current students, I think only one is left-handed. I don't know if that's interesting or significant. Just thought I'd share. Because I teach instruments, I always know whether my students are right or left hand dominant. If I were to anecdotally estimate the prevalence of left-handedness, based on my experience, I'd peg it at under 3%.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
The left side of the brain collects the images on the right from both eyes and the right side sees images from the left.

The incidence of left handedness is about 7 %.
If your are born without a corpus callosum or have it severed, the two hemispheres have difficulty communicating.

Reactions: UB 40
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I

I’m right handed but golf, bat and play hockey left. It’s really amazing to me that you throw with your left hand and write with your right hand. I do both with my right hand.

How’s your penmanship?
Do you throw like a girl?

Just kidding - it’s a pretty unique combination
My penmanship is quite good. I played catcher, 1B and pitched a little in high school. I have more coordination with my right hand for small movements but it's more natural for me to shift my weight from left to right. I'm right eye dominant, I can shoot a pistol reasonably well with either hand. Shoot a rifle right hand. Screwed up.

• Wow
Reactions: LotusEater

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I'm left handed with certain things but not everything. I write/draw naturally left handed, can't as well with the right. I bat lefty, throw righty. I kick with my right leg, play Bass guitar righty, not lefty. Snowboarding I'm naturally goofy but can (and need to) go regular. Lacrosse I tossed righty naturally at first then with practice could do left just as easily. Using a hammer/saw feels better in my right hand over my left. My wirings all messed up but since I main left hand for writing/drawing I call myself left handed.

Reactions: fMf Piper
F

fMf Piper

I was born left-handed, but my grandpa didn't think that was "right", so he would slap my left hand whenever he caught me using it and make me use my right hand.

I guess the benefit was that I am mostly ambidextrous, which comes in really handy when needing to switch hands when using tools, etc. However, I only write with my right hand and I tend eat with my left most of the time. I also find that I typically smoke my pipe and cigars more with my left hand.

I am left eye dominant but learned to shoot right-handed, and while I shoot very accurately left handed, I always instinctively reach for my right side.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've taught piano, guitar (and other things) for 15 years. I'm amazed by how few left-handers I've encountered. I know they say it's 12% or whatever, but I've had around a thousand students (give or take) and very few of them have been left-handed. Of my 45 current students, I think only one is left-handed. I don't know if that's interesting or significant. Just thought I'd share. Because I teach instruments, I always know whether my students are right or left hand dominant. If I were to anecdotally estimate the prevalence of left-handedness, based on my experience, I'd peg it at under 3%.
The only thing I do right handed is play the guitar. Or, rather played the guitar. It has been a while.

Mike S.

Reactions: Winnipeger
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
If you’re right handed, why are you conducting a poll about left handers?

Are you targeting the opposition?

Are you trying to figure out who the smarter among us are?

Are you trying to figure out how oppressed my people are?

Now I’m grateful I’m left handed.

👀
It’s a good poll to establish who the barbarians are around here.

Reactions: UB 40