PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
1Q is bland to me, but I don't notice the chemicals. I puzzle over the fact that it is one of Lane's best sellers, renamed and sold by many pipe shops as one of their house blends. It is safe and non-threatening for new smokers, so it's said, but it must have many regular customers to keep selling so well. It's a mystery, and a revenue stream for Lane.

Reactions: BROBS

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
You know, everything is subjective and our bodies react differently to variable components. I find that 1Q, for me at least doesn't have the chemical putrid taste that Captain Black has and far less moist. I bought 8oz this year and stored it up. I can smoke multiple bowls of this in a row and I generally don't smoke aromatics. Is it a powerhouse tobacco? No, but it has a cult following and regardless of its reputation, it's one of the better aromatics I've smoked.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I usually mix 1-Q with BCA 50/50, then add a pinch of bright Virgina flakes to dry it a bit and enhance burn rate. The BCA ramps up the flavor and depth. The ribbon cut of 1-Q burns consistently, but smoked straight it can have a little bite and burn hot. The addition of BCA cools it down and eliminates any bite. Works for me.

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
I started off smoking aromatics, 1Q, Boswells, and a few others mentioned here but haven't smoked one in a couple years. Last time I smoked an aromatic was Sleepy Hollow and it was goopy and wet but did have good flavor that went away pretty quickly. just not my cup of tea and will stick with Va and VaPers.

Reactions: BROBS

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I'll say it. I love 1Q from Lane. Like nearly every aromatic it needs a good sit out prior to smoking but I find delightful with zero chemical notes. Everyone should smoke what works for them and in good company (unless you'd rather smoke alone in which case refer to the what works for you rule)

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'll say it. I love 1Q from Lane. Like nearly every aromatic it needs a good sit out prior to smoking but I find delightful with zero chemical notes. Everyone should smoke what works for them and in good company (unless you'd rather smoke alone in which case refer to the what works for you rule)

Recently I bought a pound of 1Q & I quite like it also.

It's not at all moist, burns well & does not bite [to which I seem to be susceptible]
I'm not sure what others mean by chemical notes either.

1Q is a nice mild aromatic that's not heavily topped.

Wonder if there's a variation between batches or source of purchase?
Mine was bulk from 4noggins if that makes any difference.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I always find it amusing when people dislike 1Q so much that it almost seems that they were physically assaulted by the tobacco. :LOL: Some people like to gin up the drama, I guess.? I'm not quite sure what people are expecting. It's just a typical vanilla cased blond and black cavendish, nothing more, nothing less. But hey, to each his own.

I started smoking 1Q under it's various brick and mortar names 40 years ago and in that time, I have found a few vanilla aros that could be considered better but not so much better that they would stop me from smoking 1Q. The biggest problem with 1Q that I have found is that it's a somewhat mild or even bland smoke, but on the other hand it's always consistant and certainly not offensive in anyway. Chemical wise...I have found that it's no more chemically ladden than any other bulk aro and less so than many others.

Nowadays I don't smoke a lot of aromatic tobacco, but when I do, one of my go to aros is still 1Q. Only now I usually mix it with equal parts of BAC.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I always find it amusing when people dislike 1Q so much that it almost seems that they were physically assaulted by the tobacco. :LOL: Some people like to gin up the drama, I guess.? I'm not quite sure what people are expecting. It's just a typical vanilla cased blond and black cavendish, nothing more, nothing less. But hey, to each his own.

I started smoking 1Q under it's various brick and mortar names 40 years ago and in that time, I have found a few vanilla aros that could be considered better but not so much better that they would stop me from smoking 1Q. The biggest problem with 1Q that I have found is that it's a somewhat mild or even bland smoke, but on the other hand it's always consistant and certainly not offensive in anyway. Chemical wise...I have found that it's no more chemically ladden than any other bulk aro and less so than many others.

Nowadays I don't smoke a lot of aromatic tobacco, but when I do, one of my go to aros is still 1Q. Only now I usually mix it with equal parts of BAC.
Yeah it’s not THAT bad. To me it’s just kinda bland and it bites me but I think the room note is nice and it makes my car smell like cookies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
seriously it's gotta be the way cilantro is. Where some people really sense one thing where other people get another taste (in cilantro some people actually taste something citrusy and nice and not that wonderful hand soap flavor). Cause if it tasted anything like it does to me people wouldn't buy it ever and wouldn't make jokes about over reacting to it. And it wouldn't be a big seller. If it smelled and tasted the same (you know the way most pipe tobaccos do imho) it would be great. But that chemical taste is terrible to some of us. Still better then Captain Black though.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual