PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If 1-Q was all I had, I'd smoke it. I've saved a third or quarter of a small jar for years, and had a bowl the other day to see how it was doing. I'm not ordering more, but I'm not throwing out the bowl or two I have. Many a pipe smoker has started here.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
If 1-Q was all I had, I'd smoke it. I've saved a third or quarter of a small jar for years, and had a bowl the other day to see how it was doing. I'm not ordering more, but I'm not throwing out the bowl or two I have. Many a pipe smoker has started here.

I actually on a whim fired up part of a bowl today. It was better than the other day when I smoked it.

l don’t know why, but sometimes a tobacco strikes me better on some days and not so good on others.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just went back to 1-Q out of curiosity. It occurs to me it improves several notches in an MM cob, though I'm not sure why. It seems to bring up a little more of the tobacco and tamp down, slightly, the cloying flavorings. It doesn't make it a choice premium blend, but it shows what it can do with a little help from its friends in Washington, Mo.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Just went back to 1-Q out of curiosity. It occurs to me it improves several notches in an MM cob, though I'm not sure why. It seems to bring up a little more of the tobacco and tamp down, slightly, the cloying flavorings. It doesn't make it a choice premium blend, but it shows what it can do with a little help from its friends in Washington, Mo.

I agree, a Cob is my weapon of choice with 1-Q.

I also find 1-Q is one of those blends that I don’t like to smoke all the way to the end... if I stop before the bottom it leaves me with a better impression and fresher aftertaste.

The room note of 1-Q is nice and if I am around people it is sometimes what I smoke out of courtesy.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Again, with some blends guys, nothing beats a cob ??‍♂️. Am I right?

I’m no expert and won’t pretend to be, but for some reason a cob just gets out of the way — most especially with burley! Supposedly actual meerschaum does the same way? I’ll find out here in a few weeks when I save up my allowance ;)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Again, with some blends guys, nothing beats a cob ??‍♂️. Am I right?

I’m no expert and won’t pretend to be, but for some reason a cob just gets out of the way — most especially with burley! Supposedly actual meerschaum does the same way? I’ll find out here in a few weeks when I save up my allowance ;)
Oh yes. I find the wild card though are English blends. Some are better in a cob some better in a briar. Consumate Gentleman is great in a cob, Nat Sherman's English is worst in a cob. Though the when I smoke the cob I am more likely to go aromatic.

NEmery

Lurker
Dec 31, 2019
Beaufort, SC
Oh, don’t know if you’re new to Va/Pers, but (for me) Bayou Morning packs a brass-knuckle punch... that’s oh so delightful!
I had some Bayou Morning that I got a good deal on as the 'tobaccoist' allowed it to dry out quite a bit. I rehydrated it lightly with some Bourbon and I really enjoyed it.

• Love
Reactions: diamondback

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I'm definitely not a 1Q fan, but I'd definitely smoke it if it was all I had. The hate rager for it is pretty entertaining.

Reactions: BROBS

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
1Q is not a bad blend but not one I reach for much. It has a caramel type note and can be found at many B&M'S under different names. Lane does make some quality tobaccos and I appreciate them being readily available which is a dying breed these days. The good thing about Pipe tobacco is there is something for everyone.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I was sent one ounce of 1Q by a US family member.Its the only aromatic that I have it became two ounces when I mixed it with Gawiths bright virginia.The resulting smoke is very pleasant, not overly sweet, mild well behaved inoffensive vanilla cavendish that would not say boo to a goose! I can see why its popular in the US.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Its funny because if you go to the last page of Tobacco Disscusion on this site MOST people were ranting and raving about 1Q many listing it as one of their favorite blends.....its strange how the general consensus changes over time. I have a 2oz sample of 1Q and find it OK and far from being terrible but prefer many other aromatics personally. One of the good things about 1Q is that it was available locally at many B&M stores (sometimes under a different name) and could be picked up on the go without waiting for shipping.

Reactions: trouttimes

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I liked 1-Q quite a bit at first. Now it’s kind of...well, I’d definitely smoke it if that was all I had left, but it isn’t really something I reach for a lot anymore. Come to think of it, all of my aromatics are in that category nowadays, which sucks because 99% of the locally available selection is basically Tinderbox or Lane aromatic/English blends, and Washington doesn’t allow online tobacco orders.

Reactions: trouttimes

vecchio

Lurker
Jan 31, 2021
Tampa, FL
Does anyone know if Lane will resume packaging Lane 1-Q in tins? Or why this option is not available? That is my preferred way of purchasing it. Lots of sellers have it in bulk, but no one seems to have the tins. Thanks.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I guess im used to finer stuff, or maybe I am not into aromatics... But the only thing i found halfway pleasant about this baccy was the bag note. Everyone's tastes are different, which is part of the beauty of life... Thank goodness i only tried this trash in one of my cheap cobs... Taste: horrible. Room note: chemical and disgusting. My roommate ( who has never even mentioned the smell of other blends including gaslight , Petersons 3 p, Pegasus, and locally bought English blends) was gagging at the smell of the smoke. I tried to smoke it twice, 2 different days. Ended up dumping the whole 2oz down the toilet. Washed out the mason jar with dawn dishsoap. Just my humble opinion but easily the worst I've ever smoked. Grossed out just thinking about it. Got some Pegasus in my new Chacom bulldog now helping me forget... Cheers to all! D.
Well, glad you’re being “humble” and all. ?☕

• Haha
Reactions: chopper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Its funny because if you go to the last page of Tobacco Disscusion on this site MOST people were ranting and raving about 1Q many listing it as one of their favorite blends.....its strange how the general consensus changes over time. I have a 2oz sample of 1Q and find it OK and far from being terrible but prefer many other aromatics personally. One of the good things about 1Q is that it was available locally at many B&M stores (sometimes under a different name) and could be picked up on the go without waiting for shipping.
it's still a huge seller. I personally think it would be really good if they dialed back some of the humectants.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I’ve bought some because it was recommended as an essential aromatic and a good choice for new pipers, of which I am one. Someone also told me that this was likely the smell of granddad’s pipe which was a pleasant vanilla type of smell.