Is There A Post About New Pipe Sellers On Sites Like Ebay?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Yes you can game any system online even if honest people can't do so legitimately. And just cause you don't know how doesn't mean someone else doesn't. I do know people buy good e-bay reviews and they're sold in lots of large numbers. And to get a verified sale isn't hard to fake as long as a small amount of money is exchanged. And guess what that's a common tactic in fact it's a common enough tactic that a shockingly high rating can raise it's own red flag. But to me the bottom line is that the people on this list as a group have never steered me wrong as far as sellers go, that hasn't happened once. I've had great experiences with the sellers they said are great, you know above and beyond type of service. And also again if you doctor a picture of a estate pipe you're a con job who has no problem stealing and don't deserve any defense and can be assumed to not be above any low down trick that will allow you to con a few more bucks out anyone.

With some auctions, for whatever reason, my instincts went off. I just felt like someone the seller knew, if not themselves, bid on their own item.

Sometimes I'll put a auto bid on an item. That's the most I'll pay, if it goes over oh well. Other times I'll snipe something. I've been outsniped. But when I'm the only bidder and on the last day someone makes 2-3 bids, sometimes I just get suspicious. Not every time, just once in a while. Most the time the bidder has a very low score but has been a member for several years. Makes me very suspicious.

Reactions: anotherbob

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This guy sounds likes incredibly pompous, which makes me question his credibility (and this video should be removed simply for the silly hat) Do people really sit thru these kind of videos? This is exactly why I'm not a "youtube review" fan.

Somehow, they tricked 10,000 people into giving positive ratings? That is a pretty big conspiracy. I'm not sure how that could possibly be manipulated for that number of sales. I'll go further and say it is impossible in Ebay's system. Ask Steve F if he was able to take down any of the assinine comments folks have made regarding his auctions. He just collects them and uses them for humour (he is 100% credible in my book, and as far as I know, doesn't post youtube videos). I suppose if someone was really unfair, and I'm sure that happens, it could be pulled. But with 10,000 ratings? No.

I'll stand by my multiple personal experiences, everyone is free to buy or not buy, there are too many pipe vendors out there to be unhappy.
Al,
You're loyalty to a vendor with whom you've had no problems is both commendable and understandable. However, your experiences are yours, and many others have had quite different experiences that are no less real.

Moreover, the seller in question was undeniably caught falsifying images of the pipes she was selling. And she subsequently raised a shit storm here, including publishing the personal data of one of her detractors on this forum.

I've worked for some pretty awful people during my career in the Film and TV business. Just because they didn't try to, or manage to, make me roadkill doesn't mean that I view them as different from who they are.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
My opinion is Shinypipes has a family member that works for ebay. I have no evidence, just a gut feel from the way I have been treated and the words used by Mary Frankenstein. Then my neutral feedback being removed with no claim filed by me. They have seemed to be able to circumvent policy and/or complain to someone who takes care of them like they are the owners family.

On a side note, I started selling on ebay within the last year or so. I have made it a priority to try and stay honest and fair. Every once in a while I will get an email from ebay that they have removed some bad marks against me. I still find this email a surprise every time I see it. I assume the marks being removed are the star system but I have no understanding of this practice.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Moreover, the seller in question was undeniably caught falsifying images of the pipes she was selling. And she subsequently raised a shit storm here, including publishing the personal data of one of her detractors on this forum.
That definetley crosses the red line. And IMO it doesn't matter who and with what attitude critizises this. I watch another Lady on ebay. She tells the unbelievable (hi)stories about the pipes she's selling to make them attractive although they lack a quality grade e.g. That's funny but not cheating because she doesn't fake her pictures.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jesse:
I've never said they didn't have past transgressions, that can't be reversed.
A 10,000+ positive feedback rating cannot possibly be altered in that huge capacity.
Of the business folks you mention below, have any turned a new corner and reestablished their reputation? I hope so. Marianna's husband was involved in their ebay business several years ago, and that was the root of the problems. I don't know if he has current involvement

The evidence of falsified images was maybe 8-9 years ago, right? Anything current

I'd love to see any current (5 years?) evidence of a member who bought a pipe, that where the actual pipe didn't match the ebay ad. I just have not seen any.

If a member here has such an experience, I'd welcome the images.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've bought more ShinyPipe pipes than any member here. I'm a pretty discerning buyer (and seller). I have zero problems or issues with any pipe not matching what was displayed.

Al,
You're loyalty to a vendor with whom you've had no problems is both commendable and understandable. However, your experiences are yours, and many others have had quite different experiences that are no less real.

I've worked for some pretty awful people during my career in the Film and TV business. Just because they didn't try to, or manage to, make me roadkill doesn't mean that I view them as different from who they are.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse:
I've never said they didn't have past transgressions, that can't be reversed.
A 10,000+ positive feedback rating cannot possibly be altered in that huge capacity.
Of the business folks you mention below, have any turned a new corner and reestablished their reputation? I hope so. Marianna's husband was involved in their ebay business several years ago, and that was the root of the problems. I don't know if he has current involvement

The evidence of falsified images was maybe 8-9 years ago, right? Anything current

I'd love to see any current (5 years?) evidence of a member who bought a pipe, that where the actual pipe didn't match the ebay ad. I just have not seen any.

If a member here has such an experience, I'd welcome the images.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've bought more ShinyPipe pipes than any member here. I'm a pretty discerning buyer (and seller). I have zero problems or issues with any pipe not matching what was displayed.
The faked images were about 5-6 years ago.
They’re hardly the only eBay merchant that has engaged in deceptive practices.
As far as the snakes I’ve had occasion to work for, or with, none of them reformed. They just carried on until the law of averages caught up with them or they retired. It’s an unbelievably rare leopard that can change its spots.
They have to pay me more, and in advance.
eBay stats are dubious at best, existing as a marketing tool on an unsecured site.
You have your experiences, others have theirs, both are equally valid.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Something's rotten in the State of Denmark!
I hastily add this is literary license, a quote from a play, and Denmark is a fabulous country.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Show me something recent, and I'll buy in. I have my original Ebay pictures saved, and my own photos taken at the time of purchase. And I have more purchases than any other member here. I stand by my comments, until proven otherwise.
I'm now beating a dead horse here and checking out of this conversation.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I learned the hard way what to look for and ask. I learned a lot by asking questions and reading the forums here too. I think it's the sellers responsibility to know their product, even if its a consignment. But also its the buyers responsibility to know the product they want to buy. Sometimes it can be difficult to find information on a particular pipe. Some have very little if any information available. Caveat Emptor comes to to mind.

Like they say fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. If someone seeks to deceive once, they'll certainly do it again. For them to berate someone for offering helpful advice seems very odd to me. Instead of saying thank you I'll look into it. But no, first she tries to bribe him, then when that didn't work she resorts to slander and attacks his character. Not the acts if an honest person.

An honest person would've been appreciative of the heads up. After looking into it and finding out if its true or not, then possibly offering a discount coupon if he was correct. But that didn't happen.

When a dishonest person is caught in the midst of their deceitful act, they seek to discredit the one that called them on it. The only saving grace would've been to offer proof of their claim that it was as advertised.

Even if some of their pipes are as advertised, l looked, some are very beautiful pipes. But knowing what I know now, I would look elsewhere first. I'd only return if they were the only place that had what I wanted.

The reason for this is simple, if I had an issue with a pipe after getting it and being able to examine it much more closely, or even if it just got lost in the mail, I'd fear some sort of attack from this person.

Then after all that they'd get a neutral feedback. I've never left a bad feedback. Recently I had a pipe get stolen because the carrier made it too easy for them, do I asked them to start the lost package process and eventually put in the claim.

They went out of their way not to do it. Said I could do it. Well technically yes, but what are the first questions on the form? A description of the package, how it was mailed, the tracking number, etc... None of which I had because they didn't provide it or offer it at any time. So eBay refunded my money after the escalation. I gave them a neutral feedback and said they went out of their way not to be helpful.

The list of favorite stores you can use on eBay, I use it to list people to never ever buy from again. There's nothing on eBay I would buy a second time. If, like the pipes I was buying st the time, I found someone that offered lots for sale often, I keep their items in my watch list.

Caveat Emptor wasn't thought of by accident.

Thanks

Reactions: Briar Baron
Status
Not open for further replies.