Is There A Post About New Pipe Sellers On Sites Like Ebay?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
New Cigars
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Again I searched about this, I wanted to know if there were new pipe sellers to buy/avoid on eBay, etsy, etc.. I've seen where people have asked about certain pipe sellers but not a list or place to review these type dealers. I think this may be useful to many newbies like me. I don't expect someone to go through and and research every new pipe dealer, just maybe a place that's easier to find. You could call it "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

Would it be under the pipe brand discussion thread? If there's not one lets voice the views here. Let everyone know your experience. I'm not talking about estate pipes, only new pipes from unknown makers like Road Town and Benandci (road town), BalandIs, etc...

This way we'll have a single place to go to get this info. If its not already here. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Reactions: Jshogan2

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Again I searched about this, I wanted to know if there were new pipe sellers to buy/avoid on eBay, etsy, etc.. I've seen where people have asked about certain pipe sellers but not a list or place to review these type dealers. I think this may be useful to many newbies like me. I don't expect someone to go through and and research every new pipe dealer, just maybe a place that's easier to find. You could call it "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

Would it be under the pipe brand discussion thread? If there's not one lets voice the views here. Let everyone know your experience. I'm not talking about estate pipes, only new pipes from unknown makers like Road Town and Benandci (road town), BalandIs, etc...

This way we'll have a single place to go to get this info. If its not already here. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
I prefer to go with well known resellers of estate pipes, like Smoking Pipes.co & Marty Pulvers. there are other good ones out there as well. If you are looking for high end pipes that are really nice, check out Pipetted. I understand that Blue Room Briars are good guys, too.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Go to eBay. Find a estate pipe you like . Bid/ buy it. Start restoring it to your liking.. If you screw it up. Start the process over . It’s honestly that simple. Don’t over think it. Most of the times when they say it’s restored, it’s not even close. That goes for even the big sellers named above. Do your own thing!

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I prefer to go with well known resellers of estate pipes, like Smoking Pipes.co & Marty Pulvers. there are other good ones out there as well. If you are looking for high end pipes that are really nice, check out Pipetted. I understand that Blue Room Briars are good guys, too.

I don't mean estate pipes. I mean new briar pipe dealers like Road Town. I know some use pear wood and some hardwoods. I guess estate pipe sellers should be reviewed as well. I haven't looked in the "show us your (pipe name)" thread, yet. I've been searching about buying, brands, their value, and restoration.

If we start, if we're not doing it already, reviewing the pipes we buy, new and estate, who we bought it from and our experience, the next person learns from our mistakes. In a manner of speaking. Then after a few weeks, we post if we had any issues or not, if there was a problem, how did the seller respond. What did they do to make it right. Now II know sometimes it's "as is" and stuff happens. It's really no ones fault so you can't go back and try to blame the sellar. The problems I'm talking about is misrepresentation, receiving the wrong item, etc... I'm probably a day late and a dollar short, right?

Thanks for stopping by.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Then after a few weeks, we post if we had any issues or not, if there was a problem, how did the seller respond. What did they do to make it right. Now II know sometimes it's "as is" and stuff happens. It's really no ones fault so you can't go back and try to blame the sellar. The problems I'm talking about is misrepresentation, receiving the wrong item, etc... I'm probably a day late and a dollar short, right?
New pipes are sold on eBay all the time, but the large bulk of the action is with estates. There's no substitute for personal experience. Spend time on eBay and follow the various players.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've found ebay sellers to be pretty hit or miss over all, but most act in good faith if something goes wrong. I've had a couple occasions where something was either misrepresented or some notable defect not disclosed (whether intentionally or not). On the one occasion where a buyer didn't make it right, ebay did. I'm really just talking more about my general ebay experience and have never had any real trouble with pipes on there, other than just the usual risk of buying a pipe - you might not like it once you smoke it a few times.

It seems in my experience that ebay leans towards the buyer's side if something goes wrong, though YMMV.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have heard bad things about "Shiny Pipes". That is third hand, though.

New: Go to the good guys mentioned above.

Bought lots of stuff from them...(ShinyPipes). No problems. Although it's been a year or more since I've done business with them. Several years ago, somebody had some bitch with them, unfounded, and of course the interweb pipe boards went into melt down flaming the seller...

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I don't believe there is any way to know good from bad except for their eBay seller ratings. Even then, one person may think the pipe is "restored" and the another may think it needs a lot of work. It's hit or miss even with well known sellers.
If the seller has a return policy, that helps but even if they don't you can return just about anything you buy on eBay if you just ask. Ebay is set up to favor buyers so if you get ripped off, don't smoke the pipe, complain loud enough and you'll get a refund.

Reactions: bnichols23

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I second the suggestion to avoid "Shiny Pipes." You'll find many threads where people have been duped by their practices. And, they coerce good reviews... let's just say they are terrible people. puffy

All others seem like great advice.

Can you relate any personal experience of your dealings with them? I've had 20-30 transactions with them over the years and I've never run into what your alleging.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bought lots of stuff from them...(ShinyPipes). No problems. Although it's been a year or more since I've done business with them. Several years ago, somebody had some bitch with them, unfounded, and of course the interweb pipe boards went into melt down flaming the seller...
Five or maybe it was six, years ago they got caught photoshopping images (ineptly) to hide flaws in the pipes they were selling. The images were posted here with the photoshopped image next to the actual pipe. Things got a little, well, more than a little, heated, and I remember the thread being poof! disappeared as a consequence. There was no question that the images were deceiving, nor of the intent to deceive buyers.

Their record is mixed. There are customers who are very happy with them and there are others who despise them.

There are much less, ahem..., controversial sellers on eBay.

Can you relate any personal experience of your dealings with them? I've had 20-30 transactions with them over the years and I've never run into what your alleging.
Sure, although if you google "pipesmagazine shiny pipes" you will see that this is a fairly common occurrence.
But, they doctor their pipes in photoshop, so that it covers flaws. They did this with a pipe that I bought. And, when you write them to ask, they've used foul language and the tried to bully me to leave a good review anyways. I never sell on ebay, so I left them a bad review, not worrying about what they say about me, of which they sent more foul language hateful emails and had my review removed. They just aren't good human beings, IMO.
If you had a positive experience with them, that's great. But, MANY others haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.