PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I figure that if the online Pipe retailers are selling a particular blend of bagged tobacco to their pipe-smoking customers, then it's likely it was blended originally more for the pipe smoker, and I shouldn't mind that someone local (we have no Maine tobacconists) happens to carry the stuff. There are plenty of other bagged blends which I have never seen carried by the Pipe guys.

I've smoked OHM Bold, Turkish Red, and Turkish Yellow. I've got no problem with any of them in my pipes. My bowls end with a fine grey ash at the bottoms.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Funk, is there any lo-cost weed that you don't like? ?

I've basically liked every tobacco product I've ever tried.. So I guess not. Haha

Saying it's a RYO being fraudulently sold as pipe tobacco is a sad way of looking at the world... I mean, what difference does that make? I would testify for them in a court case for fraud. I actually buy this product for strictly pipe smoking.. but again, what difference does that make unless you're the tax man? There's another bagged tobacco that I use for cigarettes.. it's menthol and I absolutley reccomend agaisnt putting that one in your pipes. I did that once, and boy was it harsh..

Price often sets value.. I guess that's just human nature.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've basically liked every tobacco product I've ever tried.. So I guess not. Haha

Saying it's a RYO being fraudulently sold as pipe tobacco is a sad way of looking at the world... I mean, what difference does that make? I would testify for them in a court case for fraud. I actually buy this product for strictly pipe smoking.. but again, what difference does that make unless you're the tax man? There's another bagged tobacco that I use for cigarettes.. it's menthol and I absolutley reccomend agaisnt putting that one in your pipes. I did that once, and boy was it harsh..

Price often sets value.. I guess that's just human nature.
You are absolutely right about RYO and pipe tobacco. It's a difference in name though one seems to be more basic and maybe in cut. But for those who like straight burleys and Virginias, there may not be much of a meaningful difference after all.

When RYO was such a rage and those RYO shops had those industrial tube injectors in the back rooms that you just poured a pound of tobacco in the top and they shredded and injected the tubes, and cigarettes just fell out the bottom. I remember guys all bringing in all sorts of tobacco to try as a cigarette. Prince Albert, latakias, aromatics, it didn't make a difference to these guys. In fact, this is where I heard of Greg Pease, long before I had ever smoked a pipe.
Hell, even Camel came out with a Turkish Royale based on aromatic pipe tobaccos for a few years.

I don't see lines between how tobacco is used. I just see tobacco... some I like to smoke in my pipes, some not.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I used to smoke OHM as roll up cigarettes but haven't tried it in a pipe. Another option might be Sparrow if you can find some at local smoke shops, another inexpensive bag tobacco that was really good for roll ups and might be a better option for a pipe since I believe it has a small amount of canvndish.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Back when I rolled my own cigarettes, OHM Menthol was my brand in regular Zen tubes. Tasted similar to Marlboro menthol and no chemical/FSC taste.

I sampled quite a few different RYO blends/brands, but OHM won hands down (and the tube combination matched my factory cigarette of choice). At $1 a pack, you couldn't go wrong (but for the time factor, which I cured by throwing in a movie while rolling). I turned several others on to RYO and all also preferred OHM.

I'm curious how it would hold up to my taste preference now. If I recall, I didn't care for any OHM in a pipe, but I didn't try more than a bowl.

I've been looking to try Smoker's Pride English and mild blends but can't seem to find them.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
That's the only one I've tried so far. I need to grab a couple of bags of OHM Turkish red. @mso489 reviewed it a while back.. I think I remember him saying it was a good smoke.

The Bold isn't the best tobacco out there by any means.. I suspect it might age well, being what it's made of.

I bought a few pounds looking to mix it with perique and some dark fired to make something like D&R Picayune... But the perique I bought (from P&C) is no good, I'm still trying to find something worth using.. before I mix up a bunch of it.
I too have tried to recreate Picayune. I think using rimboche, cock strong and some cotton Boll would get close. Another forum member said to mix cotton Boll and cock strong and call it cock and balls ?