PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
50g tins are $55 CAD in my province, which is about $43 USD. There isn't a significant price difference between low end OTC and fancy brand name tobaccos, since the majority of the sticker price is various taxes.
Wow! How the heck do folks in Canada afford stocking up on several pounds!! I'm amazed!!!
thnx
mike

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Have you tried any of the other blends from OHM?

That's the only one I've tried so far. I need to grab a couple of bags of OHM Turkish red. @mso489 reviewed it a while back.. I think I remember him saying it was a good smoke.

The Bold isn't the best tobacco out there by any means.. I suspect it might age well, being what it's made of.

I bought a few pounds looking to mix it with perique and some dark fired to make something like D&R Picayune... But the perique I bought (from P&C) is no good, I'm still trying to find something worth using.. before I mix up a bunch of it.

Definitely looks like RYO tobacco. Never tried it myself, so who knows, maybe it's not as bad as I'm picturing it lol.
What could they have possibly done to it that would have made it not usable as a pipe tobacco?
Most of these are pipe tobaccos that RYO folks grind down further to be able use adequately as a cigarette tobacco. For the pipe, they are ready to go. I occasionally smoke these bagged tobacco in my pipe. They aren't as unique as some of the better blenders, but they make for a good smoke.
We also have several other members who smoke this as their all day blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, as Funk' mentioned, I like OHM Red/Turkish, a straightforward mild blend. At the price for one bag, you may be smoking in rotation for years, and if you don't like it, you can give it away. If it were sold in a tin with a more romantic name, it likely could sell for much more.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Even the most backwater gas stations here seem to have half a ton of OHM stuff on the wall. I always just kind of assumed that it was the RYO equivalent of those cheap cigarettes made from 3% real tobacco, 57% tobacco-flavored confetti, and 40% Tobacco Krispies, and that it'd probably be a bit less than optimal in a pipe because it's RYO tobacco with aspirations above its station.

That was just my first impression, though. I have no idea if it's any good or not, but it apparently seems to sell pretty well. Plus if some of the people here say it's pretty good for what it is, I'm inclined to believe them.