PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I've never had OHM tobacco, so I'm wondering your opinion (If you've had it or have a friend who did).

Here's why--Pipes and Cigars (yes, I've bought from them several times and so far everything's been fine--so WITH THAT SAID UP FRONT LOL--You guys might Bust My Chops on this one! Okay--Hoosierguy :) LOL!! Or at least think I've got my head up my as@!

Here's why--it's REALLY cheap!

Second question--what say you about using it for mixing as a base? That's my thinking and what I'm wondering!
sticking my neck out on this, and not wanting to get 15 lbs of sh#%--course
mike

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Is actually be interested in hearing opinions on this, as well. After hearing that PA might be disappearing, I took a stroll to some local liquor stores that typically have some on the shelves. Few and far between. But Jesus Christ the OHM supply was staggering and exceedingly cheap, all things considered.

That said, if it’s worth a damn, I might start buying/vac packing some of it.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Sorry olkofri, I too hate running into acronyms that I don't know. Actually, I didn't know what this acronym was, I simply got an email from Pipes and Cigars saying they were on sale (further checking shows me this is sale price not an unusual price and IS available online in the US from other sellers at the same price). I just now did a search and found the tobacco company, "Ohm Blue Pipe tobacco" if my search is accurate. Sorry!

I think I may be allergic (oops, forget that), or sensitive to the use of these acronyms (double oops, forget that), or even better--they chap my a@#! LOL

kindly
mike

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sorry olkofri, I too hate running into acronyms that I don't know. Actually, I didn't know what this acronym was, I simply got an email from Pipes and Cigars saying they were on sale (further checking shows me this is sale price not an unusual price and IS available online in the US from other sellers at the same price). I just now did a search and found the tobacco company, "Ohm Blue Pipe tobacco" if my search is accurate. Sorry!

I think I may be allergic (oops, forget that), or sensitive to the use of these acronyms (double oops, forget that), or even better--they chap my a@#! LOL

kindly
mike
S'OK, mate. I see now it's an actual full name of a product. It's just that using acronyms for blends tends to be a common practice here that I just assumed it was one of those. I was squeezing my brain thinking of possibilities—Old Home Mixture? Original Honey and Mango? Old Horse Manure...?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I frickin love D&R tobacco in a pipe and it is essentially "cigarette" tobacco labeled as pipe tobacco.
I agree, D&R is very good in a pipe. This OHM though, seems like it would be a gamble.

I mean at the very worst OP, you're out 12 bucks. For research purposes i think you should give it a shot then report your findings back here.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I agree, D&R is very good in a pipe. This OHM though, seems like it would be a gamble.

I mean at the very worst OP, you're out 12 bucks. For research purposes i think you should give it a shot then report your findings back here.

Before you buy it, go check local head shops, liquor stores, and cheap/discount tobacco stores. If there were 100lbs on the shelf in Alaska, it's more than likely available in your backyard. Then you don't have to increase your total cost exponentially by paying $3.99 for shipping.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
It is the most OTC tobacco in existence . . . . It's like $450 CAD here lmao.
First, no argument from me; I'm sure your exactly right! Second, since I'm completely uninformed on tobacco prices in Canada, I'm astounded at how expensive this basic tobacco costs (are you serious or are you kidding or teasing--I'm really wondering?)!
Thanks,
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I always figure this is cigarette tobacco . . . . I mean, menthol? Does anyone smoke it in a pipe?
"Cigarette tobacco" -- I'm sure your right, or at minimum--I have no reason to think otherwise. I have no experience with "Over the Counter" toabacco except for one bag of DaughtersandRyan "Three Sails" Va and a small bag of "Prince Albert" (& I don't like either one unless I add a pinch or three of something else!). I'm struggling here to catch up on my pipe tobacco education since I've been away from the smoke for a long time.

As for menthol--I've only tried one pipe tobacco with it: Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Gold Menthol. I'm clueless if that kind is primarily for cigarettes but I found a review on tobaccoreview.com and bought some out of curiousity. I smoked another bowl earlier today and it was okay for me, not great but not worth dumping out LOL! I'm guessing that some folks like menthol pipe tobacco but I'm not sure. Anyone out there like it?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
First, no argument from me; I'm sure your exactly right! Second, since I'm completely uninformed on tobacco prices in Canada, I'm astounded at how expensive this basic tobacco costs (are you serious or are you kidding or teasing--I'm really wondering?)!
Thanks,
mike
50g tins are $55 CAD in my province, which is about $43 USD. There isn't a significant price difference between low end OTC and fancy brand name tobaccos, since the majority of the sticker price is various taxes.