PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Not to harp on the accent thing, but I do feel for him on that one. I'm a West Virginian that lives in the northern panhandle. If I go to Cleveland, people think I'm from the South; if I got to Pittsburgh, people think I'm from Ohio; if I go to the southern part of WV, people correctly guess I'm from the northern part of the state, but hate me for it; and if go further south, the people there think I'm a yankee. I've had people tell me my accent is very flat and midwestern, and I had others tell me it has a strong "Appalachian inflection." I even find my own accent changes depending on my mood; If I speak while very excited or angry, I sound more mountain mama-esque than I do if I am calm. Generally, my own perception of the way I sound is that it comes off as mostly flat with just the occasional Appalachian-style diphthong coming through. Some vindicate my view on this, others do not.

I guess my point is this: accents are kinda cool, and give flavor to our speech and dialects, but they are also experienced differently by those listening to us speak. I don't know why so many think his accent is forced or fake. Even if it was, so what? It's the one thing about him that is unique. This guy offers plenty of material for legitimate clowning, e.g., he talks about living off the land while wearing Carhartts that have nary a stain or streak of mud on them.

I dunno. His accent just isn't that strange to me. Strong? Oh, yes. But not strange or fabricated.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If I go to Cleveland, people think I'm from the South; if I got to Pittsburgh, people think I'm from Ohio; if I go to the southern part of WV, people correctly guess I'm from the northern part of the state, but hate me for it; and if go further south, the people there think I'm a yankee.
I don't have that problem. With the exception of a trip I made 50 years ago where I was backpacking across Italy and people assumed I was Tuscan because I spoke Italian with that regional accent, most people assume I'm from Mars.

Reactions: Singularis

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not to harp on the accent thing, but I do feel for him on that one. I'm a West Virginian that lives in the northern panhandle. If I go to Cleveland, people think I'm from the South; if I got to Pittsburgh, people think I'm from Ohio; if I go to the southern part of WV, people correctly guess I'm from the northern part of the state, but hate me for it; and if go further south, the people there think I'm a yankee. I've had people tell me my accent is very flat and midwestern, and I had others tell me it has a strong "Appalachian inflection." I even find my own accent changes depending on my mood; If I speak while very excited or angry, I sound more mountain mama-esque than I do if I am calm. Generally, my own perception of the way I sound is that it comes off as mostly flat with just the occasional Appalachian-style diphthong coming through. Some vindicate my view on this, others do not.

I guess my point is this: accents are kinda cool, and give flavor to our speech and dialects, but they are also experienced differently by those listening to us speak. I don't know why so many think his accent is forced or fake. Even if it was, so what? It's the one thing about him that is unique. This guy offers plenty of material for legitimate clowning, e.g., he talks about living off the land while wearing Carhartts that have nary a stain or streak of mud on them.

I dunno. His accent just isn't that strange to me. Strong? Oh, yes. But not strange or fabricated.
what I get is people telling me I don't have an accent. Which is weird because everyone has an accent.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
If one of his videos pop up, I'll click. I don't know that I've ever made it all the way through one. But, it's got alright production and he is nothing if not an enthusiastic pipe smoker. But the complaining and the looking down the nose gets old. I feel like in one of his videos he mentioned his age and he was younger than me, which was surprising, because he reads as older. I may be confusing him with someone else though.

I get bummed because there isn't a ton of GOOD pipe content out there. At least that I'm aware of. Even though this dude is kinda the worst sometimes, I do appreciate the effort he puts into it and if it really resonates with someone, then we're all the better for it.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Heh. Funny thing is I saw that video the other day, and there was something vaguely off putting about that guy, so I didn’t watch it all the way to the end. Didn’t know he was already discussed here, and multiple times to boot. 😂

I think what put me off might be that his demeanor and phrasing vaguely reminded me of an unpleasant guy I worked with once…he was one of those super-religious, judgmental, joyless, prissy, prudish types who you’d expect to have a name like “Godbotherer Fearplenty” and a witch-burning kit in the trunk of his car, and you always had a vague sense that you couldn’t trust him any further than you could pick him up and throw him. That’s who he reminded me of.

Plus, the way he smokes his pipe struck me as a bit odd, contrived, and performative—kind of like how in a movie you can tell when a smoking actor is clearly a nonsmoker off the set just by observing their awkward behavior on camera.

There’s nothing comfortable or natural about the way he smokes his pipe in that video, he stiffly holds the pipe and then rapidly sucks on it a few times like it owes him money, and repeats it intermittently. This made me wonder if it was just a prop or affectation.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Outing: I LIKE THAT GUY!!! He is entertaining me a lot.

And what’s ever most people - okay there are some real assholes out there - on this planet deserve at least one thing: respect.

A red beard and a certain pronounciation, elaborate speech shouldn’t be the reason to call that man a shit head shit heel. One might not be accord to what he says, but anyhow he is not a piece of shit, when he announces to behave yourselves. Some in these thread don’t. I won’t gonna drink a Glas of beer with them.

As far as I know his youtubes he was running a business in South Carolina, a hut with pipes and tobacco. And yes the beautiful intro made by a professional might have been expensive, but that’s the way to do when you’re into a business, an investment. Most of all I like him talking freely in his car mourning about the government Tobacco laws in the state of Kentucky, where he moved in, or standing and talking on a peace of land his dogs running around.

And yes most of all he is able to talk free for almost ten minutes, in whole sentences, overthinking his thesis as he speaks without a lot Aahs and hmms. I doubt the most of us can do that alone.

Another thing for me is - as foreigner to American English - his elaborated accent is really easy to understand. I think it’s far from being faked. Have you ever been listening to people from Manchester in UK?

So I’ve been looking up some us- accents from South Carolina, and drums rolling, here is a guy born in Columbia, a professor at the age of 57.

Reactions: MrHowell

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I get bummed because there isn't a ton of GOOD pipe content out there
Probably because if they didn't pause every 8 seconds to relight their pipe or draw long and hard enough to produce a cloud of smoke, any given topic on actual pipe smoking can be covered in 90 seconds. It really isn't rocket science

Reactions: TheWhale13

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
He had me when he described Pegasus as a “big, comfortable huuuug.”

Obviously a man of impeccable taste.

His tobacco reviews are very well done. I think he owns a tobacco shop. I’ve heard him say, “we keep this or that in stock” or something to that effect.

If he calls his site Old Carolina and portrays an Old Carolina accent to that theme, what’s wrong with that? It’s quite entertaining.

The criticism is harsh. Remember the Artful Codger videos? He used a 1940’s accent and persona. So what? It was also entertaining.

Live and Let Live. He isn’t hurting a soul.
What is a 1940’s accent? I’ve not heard of an accent tied to time, only place.
He sounds a bit like joel osteen
to the 10th power

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Couple of guys at my Church have this accent it’s not affectation other than maybe when preaching , keep in mind he actually is a preacher and his videos are , well preachy. I take it with a grain of salt he’s very opinionated but as others have said I find it somewhat entertaining even as guilty pleasure. Humility, being genuine, honest ,and vulnerable once the camera starts rolling is hard for most people he does ok but he’s no Matches 860…

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I found a couple more videos of him (Alan Harrelson). One with The SpurgeonPiper, where he seems more genuine and himself and doesn’t ever break the accent. Another from 2018 where he’s delivering a lecture about the Southern origins of bluegrass music. His accent strikes me as authentic, even if he does play it up a bit at times.