PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It’s funny on these forums people talk trash about people and bet if they would see him in person they would run over and say how they watch his channel and shake his hand and get a picture with him. Got to love forums.
why would you think we would do that. I for one avoid people that rub me the wrong way and this guy does. And the fun fact is people who know me are taken aback when i feel that about someone. So again not sure where you get the idea anyone would kiss that mans ass.

Reactions: Kobold

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
What is a 1940’s accent? I’ve not heard of an accent tied to time, only place.

to the 10th power
Watch newsreels from that era or old movies and people spoke differently. Not an accent. A time.

Artful Codger used words, phrases and diction common to that period, like “swell.” He may even have been imitating a movie actor of the day. But his intent was to recreate a character from that time.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Heh. Funny thing is I saw that video the other day, and there was something vaguely off putting about that guy, so I didn’t watch it all the way to the end. Didn’t know he was already discussed here, and multiple times to boot. 😂

I think what put me off might be that his demeanor and phrasing vaguely reminded me of an unpleasant guy I worked with once…he was one of those super-religious, judgmental, joyless, prissy, prudish types who you’d expect to have a name like “Godbotherer Fearplenty” and a witch-burning kit in the trunk of his car, and you always had a vague sense that you couldn’t trust him any further than you could pick him up and throw him. That’s who he reminded me of.

Plus, the way he smokes his pipe struck me as a bit odd, contrived, and performative—kind of like how in a movie you can tell when a smoking actor is clearly a nonsmoker off the set just by observing their awkward behavior on camera.

There’s nothing comfortable or natural about the way he smokes his pipe in that video, he stiffly holds the pipe and then rapidly sucks on it a few times like it owes him money, and repeats it intermittently. This made me wonder if it was just a prop or affectation.
"Godbotherer Fearplenty" had me dead. :ROFLMAO: As it stands, it turns out you are right! He posted a new video a couple of days ago, and he goes on to, ahem, elaborate on his ideas of the depravity of man. This also goes into how he hates vulgarity, how cigarette smokers are somehow lesser morally than pipe smokers, etc.. It's a trip.