PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Yea, we've had a few threads about him already. To summarize my views:

1. Yes, he is a little pompous, and certainly prudish. But that doesn't bother me too badly. What does is his sentimentality and penchant for romanticizing the past. In his latest video, him and another man spent a lot of hay whining about the decline of the masculine ideal or somesuch piffle. I can appreciate putting a lot of thought into pipe smoking beyond simple pleasure, but I don't think this simple hobby can bear the moral and cultural weight Alan (that's the man's name in the YouTube video in question) puts upon it. As another person noted, it comes off as affectation, and makes him look a little silly. I still cannot help but appreciate the effort, though. I like people who put a lot of thought into everything they do, even the little things (especially the little things).

2. Yes, that is his real accent. He has other videos, including academic lectures, where he talks exactly as he does in his pipe tobacco videos. I don't agree with many of his views, but I find the man's accent to be melodious and charming. It is probably the reason I bother watching his videos half of the time. When he isn't whining about politics or his personal woes, he can be enjoyable, and it is nice to see a pipe smoking channel be something more than just another guy telling you he can really taste the citrus in a virginia for 15+ minutes. And even though he isn't a big burley fan, he did turn me on to Pegasus, so I gotta give him credit for that.

As for as YouTube pipe channels go, his is okay and can be endearing. But it's pretty clear he views his pipe smoking as an extension of his Southern traditionalist and evangelical ideology. So, YMMV I guess.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I may be the odd man out here, but watching that one video, I tend to think he is legitimate. To me, Southern accents CAN often sound a bit “over-the-top” but his seems naturally quite strong.

While I do not really watch many YouTube videos (read that as nearly none), his seems pretty average as far a pipe smoker videos. He pontificates a bit, but many (most?) YouTuber video folks seem to do so regardless of subject matter.

And while I do cuss a little bit (hell and damn mostly), I can understand his point for there are some folks who speak with more cuss words than actual words of a normal sentence structure.

So, while I am not likely to watch more of his stuff (nor much YouTube in general), I kinda give this guy a pass…. he seems “ok” generally.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I only watched a few seconds, he mentioned putting up a B&M Shop, it will be interesting to see if this happens... hmm 🤔

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Lol y’all are some grumpy ass pipe smokers and I love it. I’ve watched a few of his videos and have enjoyed them. He loses me when he tries to codify all pipesmokers into arbitrary and non-inclusive personality attributes. I don’t think all pipesmokers are part of some gentleman’s club like him but to each their own. I have mixed feelings about people making content about pipe-smoking but I hope that videos like his convert more former cigarette smokers like me (or people who vape) to smoking a pipe.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I agree that there is no room for profanity on our forum. I' doing my best to make sure I don't slip and fuck up. puffy
It's refreshing to see the actual words aren't censored here. The last forum I was a member of had a script to insert non-alphanumeric characters into all cuss words or anything else deemed "inappropriate". Some of the words they flagged in this script were really silly.