Is Having too Much Personality a Liability these Days?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That person's "personality" is an asset.
Depends entirely on the "audience" I believe. There's a time and place. Even sports these days can be a loaded subject.

Well, I don't dispute any of that but it doesn't makes much of difference time wise if you are on the West or East coast. "Honey, San Fran just got nuked! Can we make it out of the garage in 10mins?!"
Depends if you are in a targeted area. More importantly, what's the intent of the attack? Terror, territory, taking out a response, the intent or purpose of the attack determines the targets. If it's just two nutso presidents and world destruction is the intent ... well, we'll have a lot of rebuilding to do. So will the enemy, with mutual destruction more or less guaranteed.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never liked talking. Most my coworkers knew that and kept conversations to only necessary subjects. Most managers also understood this. Some managers on the other hand wanted more, that usually turns into 2 years of me trying to not run into that manager. But I was always good with customers. Had a good mentor 25 years ago. They leave me alone, and I provide satisfactory resolutions. It was good for 25 years. Finally one of the managers wanted to get rid me.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
<------ truck driver. Any conversations are few and far between. When they happen, offense is rare because other party is conditioned with preconceived expectations via stereotyping. So if I fail to blow sunshine up their skirts or am a little more blunt in my honesty.....their expectations are met and they have only themselves to blame. Since personal responsibility is lost on recent generations they can't handle the thought of taking the blame, so stifle the offense.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends upon how you use it. Some people style themselves as purveyors of the outrageous and make a potload of money and gain huge influence by essentially behaving like a complete asshole. A lot of people admire someone who will voice what they are afraid to voice. Having too much poisonality is a road to riches and influence.

In a corporate setting, personality is fine if it fits into the misc en scene, it's better than being a cog, though it's rarely a replacement for being competent. But you never know when being less than bland is going to come back to bite you.

You need to understand the terrain. Being where I'm at is very freeing, as I have no one left to impress, and if one shows up I probably won't care. While I speak whatever is left of my mind, at work I'm conscious where the professional boundaries are and work within them, and since I'm supervising, it's even more important to set a professional distance.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Sometimes people share esoteric details in an attempt to show off. That can get tiresome.

I think many people are just fine with interesting personalities! It's the a-hole that's always 'man-splaning' something that few people are interested in.

Not saying that's you. Just saying it's a thing to watch out for.
People using terms like "man-splaining" is also a thing to watch out for (just sayin').

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Social Media has made people more cautious than ever---indeed, those who have been burned even slightly say never again---of being identified as a non-believer in the Latest Thing.

The "She's a witch! Burn her!" response to those who frighten others for ANY reason is alive and well. It's a human tribal behavior that's highly evolved.

Being able to instantly identify such individuals and inform other tribe members of their presence is the only thing that has changed.

The 21st century term for it is Cancel Culture.

It's why questions like "Is having too much personality a liability these days?" are starting to be asked on forums like this one. People are noticing Cancel Culture's large-scale side effects.

In China, it's actually been formalized. It's known as the "social credit score" system. Those in charge merely make known what they want, and a sufficient majority of the population appoints itself thought police to make those desires happen. (Try getting someone in China or North Korea or etc. to tell you what they actually think about anything. It's impossible.)

Imagine how things are going to be in another 20-30 years.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Don't tell that to those young men and women in harm's way tonight. I'm pretty proud of 'em.
I don't disagree with you at all. I am proud of the ones that serve- For the right reasons. I am from a military family far reaching back through history. Trust and do not doubt my respect for the ones who are there for the country and family.

But I guess being that this is the internet I forget to add the obligatory "Not all but some, there's always exceptions", which can lend itself to the essence of the OP. Always some one out there get bunched up about something unsaid, or misinterpreted.

Reactions: Zero

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Social Media has made people more cautious than ever---indeed, those who have been burned even slightly say never again---of being identified as a non-believer in the Latest Thing.

The "She's a witch! Burn her!" response to those who frighten others for ANY reason is alive and well. It's a human tribal behavior that's highly evolved.

Being able to instantly identify such individuals and inform other tribe members of their presence is the only thing that has changed.

The 21st century term for it is Cancel Culture.

It's why questions like "Is having too much personality a liability these days?" are starting to be asked on forums like this one. People are noticing Cancel Culture's large-scale side effects.

In China, it's actually been formalized. It's known as the "social credit score" system. Those in charge merely make known what they want, and a sufficient majority of the population appoints itself thought police to make those desires happen. (Try getting someone in China or North Korea or etc. to tell you what they actually think about anything. It's impossible.)

Imagine how things are going to be in another 20-30 years.
Very true. Far too many are afraid of the personal/professional backlash if they speak honestly. A small but loud minority has made everyone cower. It is a sad state but a reality. We must all fall in line or face the consequences. Sad.

Reactions: brian64

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Part of the art of conversation is observing your intended audience, watching, listening and responding to them. People who just innately want to talk a lot can be rude. People are sometimes on some sort of time restraints, or have something else on their minds, or are introverted and don't talk much anyway. Are you any good at listening yourself, or do you just want to talk?

Have non-demanding openers to sense how they are feeling. Watch their faces, to see if they are feeling sociable or are otherwise disposed.

There are two or more people in a conversation. People shouldn't just stand and perform, like people who talk continuously at a party, like they're on TV or onstage. What are you learning about the other person? What's their situation? What of your situation can you reasonably share without intruding boundaries.

Some women are much better at this than most men, but that doesn't mean men shouldn't make an effort.

If you are a natural story teller and long-talker, find situations where that is wanted and accepted, but don't presume everyone wants to be your audience. It's a matter of time, place, and personalities.

Some people talk continuously just to keep others from talking, to control others, and to avoid other peoples' opinions and personalities, out of a sense of inferiority sometimes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My first real job after I got a 2 year degree from Boston University, I was a mfg rep in the fine jewelry business. All my mfgs were on 46th st which is the gold and diamond district in NYC.

New England was my territory. I had one boss who owned the company and he sent me out with a sample bag of about 50K and a book that gave all the credit ratings for all the stores in my territory. Some I was not allowed to call on because they had shit credit. I made good money until our main chain and charm mfg couldn't fill the christmas orders. I said screw that and went into the car business. That gold commpany ended up being robbed and had their place shot up with al kinds of Uzi's. I had an idea who did it but would nver say anything. The pricks deserved it.

I was viscous to salesman as I was there t make money and if I saw a slow ass salesman slowly walking across the lot to a potential customer, I would fast walk past him and tell him he is a lazy fuck.

He would cry to a manager but the managers backed me as I was their best salesman and they wanted me talking to as many customers per day as I could. My record for cars sold in a month was 38. It was part of a contest to Aruba and I decided I wanted to win it. No one got within 15 cars of me. The record still holds today this was September 1986.

When I became a truck manager I took our department from 35th in the zone of NE to number 3. I did it with a crew of 4 guys as no one else was allowed to sell trucks plus my guys could sell used cars. I had rookies making over 50 grand their first year and that was back in 1987.
When I needed to be aggressive mostly fighting the freaking service department for trying to rob us and to sales man who would get lazy. My best talent was my being able to put the customers under the ether. I would get them so hot for the car or truck that they laid down and paid top dollar. I was also the best closer at any dealer I worked for and I could also do the finance and insurance job when needed.

In 1990 when I opened my first business I was very pleasant and accommodating as they were my customers and customers were always right. Both of my business turned very successful and I hired people who knew the rules. I was very strict on how things needed to be 16 hours a day 7 days a week and we never closed, open 365.

You could say I was very aggressive especially with vendors and utility companies, mayors, business department heads, tax assessors, anyone I could threaten my lawyer with. Hell even every school superintendent where ever my kids went all knew my lawyer. I showed no mercy dealing with those lazy shit teachers and their principals. They cringed when I would walk in without an appointment.

Reactions: karam and tbradsim1

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I mean in regards to work and such. I'm not talkin' bout making poo-poo jokes or such but I've learned over the last few years that having too much to talk about when others have very little, this is, when they are conversing with you it's best to just pretend that you don't have much to say and don't share some esoteric detail on any given subject. None of which I wish to speak about is at all political, just cultural things, food, and day to day blather. Kinda sucks to have to sanitize your personality but money is money I guess...
either your personality is off or you need a new job. What racket are you working these days?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very true. Far too many are afraid of the personal/professional backlash if they speak honestly. A small but loud minority has made everyone cower. It is a sad state but a reality. We must all fall in line or face the consequences. Sad.
Seems to be the case, but the only reason it's possible is because very wealthy and powerful interests are behind it all for their own purposes. The small loud minority you mention are just useful idiots.

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
It depends on how you're perceived. At work I tend to speak my mind without waiting much, which has resulted in some tension here and there, but the higher ups seem to prefer someone that is openly honest, even if it's rude sometimes.