PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Is that a new thing? There are few Zippo models that come with a pipe insert.

Zippo lighters have a lifetime warranty, if you send yours for repair they will replace the insert, you may ask for a pipe insert.
What I meant is that I can't choose the pipe insert option with the design I like. They do still have some for sale with the pipe insert.

Maybe I can send it back in, but I'd hate to order it, get it, then have to wait for it again :)

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Is that a new thing? There are few Zippo models that come with a pipe insert.

Zippo lighters have a lifetime warranty, if you send yours for repair they will replace the insert, you may ask for a pipe insert.
Overhere I can only get the Zippo with the little pipe print on it which I don't think is a very attractive design. Somehow i'm having a hard time to find a loose insert or the softflame butane one, the jet lighter is quite easy to find.

1645726846025.png

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jvnshr

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I think it works great, and you can find them for sale with a pipe insert. Can’t you still get them free from Zippo as well?

I got two inserts off Etsy two years ago, put ‘em in the styles I like.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Another vote for pipe insert. But, if you have to buy the pipe insert - why not try it with the standard one and see if you like it before spending the extra money on the insert? You could use it for a tin of tobacco instead…

There are arguments for a ton of different lighters based on preferences - but, if you truly want the longest lasting and most versatile lighter you’ll ever own - it’s a Zippo.

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Appreciate the quick responses!
I made the mistake of shopping online at night/tired, so I ordered a few.

If I'd waited 'till morning, I'd have seen more of the people advocating the regular insert and just ordered the one.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
What I meant is that I can't choose the pipe insert option with the design I like. They do still have some for sale with the pipe insert.

Maybe I can send it back in, but I'd hate to order it, get it, then have to wait for it again :)
Clear now.

Overhere I can only get the Zippo with the little pipe print on it which I don't think is a very attractive design. Somehow i'm having a hard time to find a loose insert or the softflame butane one, the jet lighter is quite easy to find.

View attachment 130918
Can't you order from the States? I used to collect Zippos, have 30 left I think, received most of them from the States.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I'm really drawn to a certain design, but they don't sell it with the pipe insert. Maybe I'll buy a 2nd just to use the pipe insert out of it. Is the pipe insert worth the extra $25 or will a regular Zippo work fine?
Send Zippo the regular insert and ask to exchange it for a pipe insert, and they will send both back. You don't need to send the lighter, just the insert. I've done this several times.

Note that some lighters that have plastic decals or panels (scrimshaw) don't work well with the pipe insert as you're holding it sideways, and the sides can get some heat and deform.

The pipe insert is great, works well in the wind. Use only Zippo fluid, others have bad taste.

Last edited:

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my pipe insert still blows out in the wind. And the wind really isn't that strong, or I wouldn't try to smoke in the first place. ??‍♂️

Reactions: ofafeather

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
This is a great way to light an everyday blend in my opinion. I used to smoke lockwoods back when I could get it. You could find me all over the place lighting up with my pipe lighter. It's true you're going to taste some fuel, and that's why I say it's good for an everyday blend. If you are trying to get a handle on flavor profile or something really complicated, I would avoid it since it will mar the flavor at least when you light it. I did find however it will go away after a bit. Yes it's also true the rim will darken, but it's ok, some pipes are meant to be our constant companions, while others we take better care of. To be honest I didn't mind the rim darkening, it reminded me of all the good times. The pipe was becoming an extension of my hand lol, at least until it soured, and then later cracked. Won't forget that pipe ever though.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Been using a regular high polish chrome Armor for years for lighting pipes, with no complaints of any kind. Nice large soft flame. I slightly tilt the pipe sideways and suck the flame in. It's a rather quick, well-practiced manuever done without thinking. Have yet to scorch a rim. Love this company. Visit the museum if you ever have the chance. Just sayin', and whatever. But I do use wooden matches when seated at a desk. I like the way little flaming bits fly off and burn holes in anything plastic, like your keyboard, or your knickers.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
+ 1 for the Zippo with pipe insert - which I was able to purchase as a single unit and no replacement efforts necessary. I have used it for several months, perhaps a year, and no issues. I've replaced one flint in all that time and never had to alter the wick.

Don't like the fume taste? Wait a second and it's gone. Literally within 1 second.

It may not be my most favorite or preferred method, but it's one of the best outdoors in the breezes.

Cheers

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me…. the standard insert and the pipe insert BOTH work equally well….. I have always found Zippo lighters to be extremely reliable. I have a few standard Zippos and a few pipe insert Zippos. I like all of them.

But…. truthfully…. I am not particularly persnickety about where my flame to light my pipe comes from…. I will use whatever is handy…. Zippo, Bic, matches, candle, tree branch at a camp fire…. I unfortunately am a bit absent-minded, and I misplace my lighters relatively often. If I was “dedicated” to only one type of lighter/flame….. probably 3/4 of the time I would have to be abstaining from my pipes! ?

Reactions: aspiring_sage