PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Did you ask them to replace the insert or just send you a different one? My understanding was they would change the insert if you shipped it to them, they would keep the one being replaced and would ship it back to you with the new insert. Only cost was shipping.
I was going to ship it to them to have the insert replaced. But since only my insert was broken, they said they could just send me a new insert (which is what they would do anyway, even if I did ship it). I asked if they could send a pipe insert, and they said they no longer send them out.

I suppose it's possible they might have given me the pipe insert if I had shipped it to them, but I don't really see why that would make a difference.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
You can find the insert on e-bay. Prices vary, but some are under fifteen bills. Stamped "Zippo - Made in the U.S.A."

Droid Little

Lurker
Mar 29, 2022
Send your lighter to Zippo and they will put a pipe insert in it for free. At least all my research has led me to believe this. I use a standard Zippo honestly and it works fine for me. Perhaps one day I'll get the pipe insert. Just hasn't been that high on my priority list.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Title edited for caps and brevity. (no caps for articles). -jpm

I like Zippo lighters. Great to fidget with, I haven't had one in years.
I'm really drawn to a certain design, but they don't sell it with the pipe insert. Maybe I'll buy a 2nd just to use the pipe insert out of it. Is the pipe insert worth the extra $25 or will a regular Zippo work fine?

Tried searching the forums, there are a lot of "what is your favorite lighting method" questions and comments but I can't get a read on the actual value of the specialized pipe insert.

Zippo guys, let me know what you think.

I know I'm splitting hairs over a little thing, but I've seen lively discussion over less than $25.
As others mentioned, send it it and get an insert for free. If you make it to flagship store they’ll give you one for any lighter you buy. The main thing about the pipe insert from Zippos’ point of view is that the regular insert is not windproof in the horizontal position while the pipe insert is. FWIW, I love the thunderbird butane pipe insert I just bought. Works really well and I can put it into any zippo case I have. Just make sure you get the one with the zippo style striker wheel and not the bic style button infighter.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Th insert works a lot better..... I wish I had know about the send it in and get a free one..... I just bought one off fleabay for 18 bucks shipped a few weeks ago.... from zippo in PA.

My pop always said they were a gimmick...... they assuredly are not.... they help a lot in a light breeze that blows the normal insert out...... not a lot that the old man was wrong about, but he got that one wrong...... creature of habit I suppose..... it took me 30 years to try one also :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: aspiring_sage

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I was thinking of trying the butane soft flame pipe insert.

Attachments

• CD3E5B64-392E-43D7-A6DB-686B0474B63F.jpeg
    CD3E5B64-392E-43D7-A6DB-686B0474B63F.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: ofafeather

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have had a Zippo in my pocket for almost a decade now. I used my brass armor Zippo for abour 8 years straight for my pipes and cigs. Then I half retired it after two hinge replacements.

The pipe inserts do get dirty. I had to clean mine regularly
PXL_20220513_032608969.jpg
This reminds me I need another Zippo. Brass armor high polish as usual. They patina nice.
Yes they do.

PXL_20210409_173806659.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220513_032608969.jpg
    PXL_20220513_032608969.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I called Zippo a few weeks ago and requested a new insert. I asked if they could send a pipe insert, and they said they no longer send out pipe inserts, only regular. That was April 2022, for anyone who reads this.

They don’t sell pipe inserts separately. You’ll have to buy a pipe lighter. But if you are sneaky and ask if they can send you a replacement, they will do it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Had a little road trip the other day and grabbed the wrong Zippo (no pipe insert). Trying to relight while driving with a regular Zippo vs. the pipe insert is only for a road with nobody behind and nothing approaching for 1/2 mile, lol - not recommended. Just ordered another pipe insert!

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
They don’t sell pipe inserts separately. You’ll have to buy a pipe lighter. But if you are sneaky and ask if they can send you a replacement, they will do it.
Yes, that's what I did -- asked for a replacement pipe insert for my Zippo. They said they didn't send them anymore, only regular inserts.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
FWIW, I love the thunderbird butane pipe insert I just bought. Works really well and I can put it into any zippo case I have. Just make sure you get the one with the zippo style striker wheel and not the bic style button infighter.
I was thinking of buying a Thunderbird for my Zippo. Just curious: why the striker and not the piezo one? Reliability?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I was thinking of buying a Thunderbird for my Zippo. Just curious: why the striker and not the piezo one? Reliability?
I like the striker becuadro it keeps the basic Zippo style and function and the flame stays on until you close the lid. I have the other one as well but I find that having to hold down the button to keep the flame on is awkward in that position plus can get hot fast. The flame can actually my lick your thumb. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: mbmoehl and jiminy