PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Title edited for caps and brevity. (no caps for articles). -jpm

I like Zippo lighters. Great to fidget with, I haven't had one in years.
I'm really drawn to a certain design, but they don't sell it with the pipe insert. Maybe I'll buy a 2nd just to use the pipe insert out of it. Is the pipe insert worth the extra $25 or will a regular Zippo work fine?

Tried searching the forums, there are a lot of "what is your favorite lighting method" questions and comments but I can't get a read on the actual value of the specialized pipe insert.

Zippo guys, let me know what you think.

I know I'm splitting hairs over a little thing, but I've seen lively discussion over less than $25.

Last edited by a moderator:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I like the pipe insert. The flame is more controllable than on the regular Zippo. They work well in the wind, too. I bought many pipes when I lived in Mpls in the 70's. There were many pipe shops then, but they are probably all gone now. Wokeness wiped them out, or burned them down!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You'll get a mix of answers. I found it not to be an improvement over the regular chimney, reinserted the regular and never looked back. The trick with either is the correct adjustment of the wick as necessary.

A reminder to those who disregard the instructions: With either chimney let the fumes burn off before applying flame to pipe, cigar or cigarette. Only makes sense. Some people require warnings not to use a hair dryer in the bath tub. Others need to be told to let the vapors burn off when using a lighter. rotf

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You'll get a mix of answers. I found it not to be an improvement over the regular chimney, reinserted the regular and never looked back. The trick with either is the correct adjustment of the wick as necessary.

A reminder to those who disregard the instructions: With either chimney let the fumes burn off before applying flame to pipe, cigar or cigarette. Only makes sense. Some people require warnings not to use a hair dryer in the bath tub. Others need to be told to let the vapors burn off when using a lighter. rotf
love how all you have to do is read the directions but that's too much for so many people.