PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I like the striker becuadro it keeps the basic Zippo style and function and the flame stays on until you close the lid. I have the other one as well but I find that having to hold down the button to keep the flame on is awkward in that position plus can get hot fast. The flame can actually my lick your thumb. Just my opinion though.
For the striker version, does the butane start up as soon as the lid is opened? It must, hey? I fiddle around with my Zippo so I'd be worried to leak out a bunch of the fluid haha! But I do understand the burning finger deal, that would be a huge advantage to the striker model

Reactions: ofafeather
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I like the striker becuadro it keeps the basic Zippo style and function and the flame stays on until you close the lid. I have the other one as well but I find that having to hold down the button to keep the flame on is awkward in that position plus can get hot fast. The flame can actually my lick your thumb. Just my opinion though.
I have the version where you have to hold down the button and it does get hot. This is why I don't use it much. I didn't know there was a wheel version. That could be a game changer for me, as I do have some Zippos I'd like to use as butane pipe lighters. I found I had to shave the tabs on the insert down to prevent too snug a fit.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
For the striker version, does the butane start up as soon as the lid is opened? It must, hey? I fiddle around with my Zippo so I'd be worried to leak out a bunch of the fluid haha! But I do understand the burning finger deal, that would be a huge advantage to the striker model
Yes, has comes on as soon as the lid is opened. It’s linked to the spring mechanism that’s on the hinge side of the insert.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have the version where you have to hold down the button and it does get hot. This is why I don't use it much. I didn't know there was a wheel version. That could be a game changer for me, as I do have some Zippos I'd like to use as butane pipe lighters. I found I had to shave the tabs on the insert down to prevent too snug a fit.
I don’t remember seeing the wheel version when I bought the button version several months ago. Not sure if I just didn’t see it or it wasn’t out yet. The wheel version is a game changer for me. I found the button version so awkward that I went back to using my old boy/Kiribi.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I sort of like it but it has one major issue……no flame adjustment.

The quality is good, the flame is great but the only butane I currently have on hand is the zikar purofin high performance and I get a huge flame from the lighter.

I’m assuming it’s because of the high Purity butane, they suggest zippo brand. Without a flame adjustment screw, the flame will vary depending on the butane used.

Until then, assuming it resolves the large flame issue, it’s basically used for the rare cigar for the moment.

That’s my experience so far.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I sort of like it but it has one major issue……no flame adjustment.

The quality is good, the flame is great but the only butane I currently have on hand is the zikar purofin high performance and I get a huge flame from the lighter.

I’m assuming it’s because of the high Purity butane, they suggest zippo brand. Without a flame adjustment screw, the flame will vary depending on the butane used.

Until then, assuming it resolves the large flame issue, it’s basically used for the rare cigar for the moment.

That’s my experience so far.

Thank you sir!

brew

Lurker
Feb 18, 2016
Yes the pipe insert works much better.
If what I heard is correct, send your lighter to Zippo and they'll swap the standard insert for one for a pipe.
Hopefully someone can confirm.
Ive sent them in for the switch a few times, most recently maybe two years ago.

brew

Lurker
Feb 18, 2016
What I meant is that I can't choose the pipe insert option with the design I like. They do still have some for sale with the pipe insert.

Maybe I can send it back in, but I'd hate to order it, get it, then have to wait for it again :)
You can send any zippo in for the switch, and then use the insert in any zippo you buy.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Weird that there is no flame adjustment. You would think that would be a standard thing.
It’s pretty crazy, I feel the same way. It feels great, the flint feels like a zippo, but all that is moot if the flame is too large (or small) for the intended use. Feels like a missed opportunity as it easily would have become my standard if the damn thing just adjusted.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The size of the flame is adjusted by altering the exposed length of the wick. Extending the wick above the center of the pipe insert opening (the circular opening) results in a fairly large flame. But that is perfect for lighting a pipe 😀
My response was regarding their official butane soft flame insert. There’s only the fill port and flint port on it.
C07AA066-1DA5-4B6C-8B36-AD05BB157D22.jpeg

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
That pretty much settles it. I'm buying two (or should I make it 3...?)
Yeah - I really like it. For me, I find it much better than the normal insert - find it easier to light without charring the rim of the bowl. I bought one insert for a 1941 replica that I already had, and then smokingpipes had a sale and I bought the Zippo Brushed Brass pipe version which looks a lot like the 1935 Replica, but for which an insert doesn't fit.
It's true the chimney gets black - one one side. Figure I can just clean it with some fuel and a tooth brush or when it gets too heavy, I can do the Matches860 cleaning method - taking it apart and soaking it in mineral spirits.

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I like the Zippo pipe lighter. It's a good design that works well. However, I switched to butane because I don't smoke often and I found myself having to refill the Zippo for almost every smoke. The Zippo design has withstood the test of time and it deserves the praise that it gets.

Reactions: noobpipes

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I don’t see any reason to clean my pipe insert. It’s stained black, it doesn’t effect the flame. Cleaning is just for aesthetic purposes, I think.
I'm in the other camp. A couple of Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol clean both zippo and butane lighters in a jiffy. I do it when I replace flints.