PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
4-pipe lot with 1928 Everyman's, London Tower and an 1891 BBB stummel.

Vintage Lot Of 4 Pipes Estate Find Smoke Smoking Pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/335306296914

s-l1600.png

For the BBB, will smoke with an army stem from a cased 1903 Boreling.

JBpZDlH.jpeg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
4-pipe lot with 1928 Everyman's, London Tower and an 1891 BBB stummel.

Vintage Lot Of 4 Pipes Estate Find Smoke Smoking Pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/335306296914

s-l1600.png

For the BBB, will smoke with an army stem from a cased 1903 Boreling.

JBpZDlH.jpeg

Congratulations on a nice score! The Everyman is especially interesting since it’s uncommon to find specimens that can be confidently dated as very early production (the model was launched in 1925 to commemorate the putative centenary of the Comoy family’s entry into pipe making).

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Congratulations on a nice score! The Everyman is especially interesting since it’s uncommon to find specimens that can be confidently dated as very early production (the model was launched in 1925 to commemorate the putative centenary of the Comoy family’s entry into pipe making).
You guys are a wealth of information. I spent yesterday cleaning up the BBB and looking for the pin that I knocked loose from the silver cap...and lost...so haven't tackled the Everyman yet. It's a nice shape and I think it's going to clean up well.

Have a great weekend!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Now this is really infuriating :mad: and that is an understatement.
This set was stolen from me by Pitney Bowes on december 07th. and now it is resold for less the price I paid.
How did it get there where it is sold from now ?
I hope it was purchased by one of us and he will be so kind as to ship it to me.
I'm of course willing to redeem :

Last edited:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
This set was stolen from me by Pitney Bowes on december 07th. and now it is resold for less the price I paid.
I hope it was purchased by one of us and he will be so kind as to ship it to me.
As has been stated before.Ebay Global Shipping resell the stuff they deem unshippable.Your are unfortunately not the first member here to have this happen to.
There seems to be no way to know what is deemed ok and what not.
Best avoid Ebay GS

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
As has been stated before.Ebay Global Shipping resell the stuff they deem unshippable.Your are unfortunately not the first member here to have this happen to.
Best avoid Ebay GS
I just sold my first pipe to a UK customer, using Global Shipping. I guess I'll find out soon if it's a problem, but I'm fairly certain this is just a scam at the UK Pitney Bowes end, taking advantage of a law the UK has that they cannot ship OUT drug paraphernalia to the US.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
How did I not see this getting auctioned again! Argh. Totally would have purchased it…for you I mean 🫣

Dec 10, 2013
Best avoid Ebay GS
Usually shipping pipes from the US or UK to the Netherlands is not a problem and I bought many pipes from this particular seller . As stated before I also lost some very fine blackthorn walking stick shanks because of the Ebay GS. Also sent from the UK.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Usually shipping pipes from the US or UK to the Netherlands is not a problem and I bought many pipes from this particular seller . As stated before I also lost some very fine blackthorn walking stick shanks because of the Ebay GS. Also sent from the UK.
So this 'UK Pitney-Bowes' scam is not just pipes? I'm surprised a seller in the UK hasn't challenged this legally. I guess since they are getting to keep their money, they have no legal leg to stand on?

Dec 10, 2013
So this 'UK Pitney-Bowes' scam is not just pipes? I'm surprised a seller in the UK hasn't challenged this legally. I guess since they are getting to keep their money, they have no legal leg to stand on?
No, not just pipes. It has to do with "exotic wood " and I fear what they do is legit.
I addressed this on the Ebay forum. Blackthorn sticks, rosewood guitars, ebony walking sticks etc.
You name it, they take it !

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No, not just pipes. It has to do with "exotic wood " and I fear what they do is legit.
I addressed this on the Ebay forum. Blackthorn sticks, rosewood guitars, ebony walking sticks etc.
You name it, they take it !
Great day in the morning! There’s an eBay forum??!!
The risks with eBay’s Global Stealing, er um, Shipping go back years, even as far back as when eBay still allowed sales of vintage tobacco. The tobacco would get seized and destroyed.
They’ve changed their game to allow for fencing seized merchandise.
I’m surprised that you weren’t reimbursed by eBay and the money clawed back from the seller, which is their usual policy involving disputes.
My position with Global Shipping is simple. It’s a nonstarter. I will contact the seller to see if they will use Royal Mail. If not then it’s a hard pass with zero regrets.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You guys are a wealth of information. I spent yesterday cleaning up the BBB and looking for the pin that I knocked loose from the silver cap...and lost...so haven't tackled the Everyman yet. It's a nice shape and I think it's going to clean up well.

Have a great weekend!
Agreed, the Everyman detail would have escaped me, had Jon not pointed it out! Comoy's fans are familiar with The Everyman, but I had not clue the line was that old!

Reactions: greeneyes

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Global Shipping is such a scam.

All eBay needs to do, especially eBay UK, is alert sellers than ANY pipe is deemed DRUG PARAPHERNALIA will be seized.

Just to be resold.

I’ve purchased two pipes twice. Been lucky.

Funny point. The second seller used Royal Mail and both arrived at my house safely.
I always send pipes with Royal Mail when shipping to the States (or anywhere for that matter). Never had a problem. I would never use Global Shipping.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I always send pipes with Royal Mail when shipping to the States (or anywhere for that matter). Never had a problem. I would never use Global Shipping.
What I don't get is why ebay doesn't forbid specifying Global Shipping for restricted items being shipped from the UK to the U.S. Not doing so just creates more bad vibes toward ebay, especially given that we've identified this as being a Pitney-Bowes scam that ebay 'appears to be' a partner in. Ebay needs to untangle themselves from this. Ebay is refunding the buyers and letting the seller keep their money, so either Pitney-Bowes is paying ebay a lot off money to allow this, or ebay is flat-out blind.