PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ah yes, this one. So not the wee dram, but no picture .
Not entirely; mine has the curved Comoy's stamp over London Made .as well as the circle shaped stamp.
Stand me corrected if I'm wrong.
View attachment 279650
What the fuck was I thinking. Of course your stamp isn’t the upper case serif font. I swear the last two times I looked at it that is not what is said 🤦😂

I still think your pipe is from the 50s. Not sure why. It’s a beauty though. Will be a smoking machine no doubt

• Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
What the fuck was I thinking. Of course your stamp isn’t the upper case serif font. I swear the last two times I looked at it that is not what is said 🤦😂

I still think your pipe is from the 50s. Not sure why. It’s a beauty though. Will be a smoking machine no doubt
Does not matter much, but the one but oldest Comoy's stamp known on a fifties pipe ? Hmm.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
So you apply it before staining ?
No - stain first. Stained the Dublin, then wiped off residue with alcohol t-shirt cloth, then applied Danish Oil. The other two didn't need stain in my opinion, so only Danish Oil. For all three, let cure overnight, then polished with B&A Fine, then rubbed in B&A Balm. I'm really not into super-shiny pipes unless they arrive that way.

Dec 10, 2013
Does not matter much, but the one but oldest Comoy's stamp known on a fifties pipe ? Hmm.

No - stain first. Stained the Dublin, then wiped off residue with alcohol t-shirt cloth, then applied Danish Oil. The other two didn't need stain in my opinion, so only Danish Oil. For all three, let cure overnight, then polished with B&A Fine, then rubbed in B&A Balm. I'm really not into super-shiny pipes unless they arrive that way.
We're on the same page Scott :)

Reactions: runscott

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Discussion of Britwood isn't as prevalent as it was a few years back. More of the membership here is into artisan made pipes, beginner pipes, cheap pipes, and/or popular mid market pipes. Very few people here are interested in the history of the pipe making trade, except in a cursory way, and an interest in pipes history usually accompanies an interest in collecting Britwood.
I'm mainly interested in collecting artisan pipes - & I don't have much to contribute (you guys are way out of my league), but this is my favourite thread on the forum. Same as books, pictures, or films - you miss a whole bunch if you skip the classics.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'm mainly interested in collecting artisan pipes - & I don't have much to contribute (you guys are way out of my league), but this is my favourite thread on the forum. Same as books, pictures, or films - you miss a whole bunch if you skip the classics.

This is the only thread I even view in this forum. I have a different perspective on the 'expert' vs 'thinks he is an expert' viewpoint, but I'll leave such pontification to the 'I am certain I am an expert' members.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
That is second highest auction I’ve seen for a Shamrock.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That is second highest auction I’ve seen for a Shamrock.

the '02 Narrow' doesn't show up all that often, and I've only seen it in the Shamrock line - 1950's. I have had three and paid $216 for one of them. I sold another for more than that.

The 9BC Shamrock goes for a lot every now and then.

Dec 10, 2013
This is the only thread I even view in this forum. I have a different perspective on the 'expert' vs 'thinks he is an expert' viewpoint, but I'll leave such pontification to the 'I am certain I am an expert' members.
Much appreciated and I'm most certainly not an expert, perhaps a would be- or could be one rotf
But I do my very best.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
the '02 Narrow' doesn't show up all that often, and I've only seen it in the Shamrock line - 1950's. I have had three and paid $216 for one of them. I sold another for more than that.

The 9BC Shamrock goes for a lot every now and then.
Yeah, the 9BC is the other one I was referencing. There are more than a few shapes that only show up in the Shamrock line.

The Shamrock line (nickle banded) was made for Roger’s Imports and only ran from about 1936-49. The unbanded shamrocks were mostly for the euro market and were made in the mid to late Republic era. There were very few if any Shamrocks made in the 50’s

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Yeah, the 9BC is the other one I was referencing. There are more than a few shapes that only show up in the Shamrock line.

The Shamrock line (nickle banded) was made for Roger’s Imports and only ran from about 1936-49. The unbanded shamrocks were mostly for the euro market and were made in the mid to late Republic era. There were very few if any Shamrocks made in the 50’s

I'm curious where you found that information. According to Mark Irwin, Rogers was selling banded Shamrocks in the 1950's and didn't even register the Shamrock logo in the U.S. until the early 1950's (proprietary back to 1938). I believe that all of my 02 Narrows and 9BC Shamrocks are from the early 1950's, but would be happy if it turned out that they are actually from the 1940's.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
@RustiePyles CPG - I want to mention also that I do not take every line in Mark's book as Peterson gospel. As you know as a CPG :), Peterson collectors are all the time discovering new things that contradict what's in his book. We tell him, we discuss and he loves to hear that new information has been discovered. I'm guessing the 1936 beginning date for the Shamrock line that you mention is something that has been discussed and I missed it. It makes sense, as I have three Shamrocks that I feel are very close to the 1936 date. If there is any interest I'll take some pictures and explain.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I'm curious where you found that information. According to Mark Irwin, Rogers was selling banded Shamrocks in the 1950's and didn't even register the Shamrock logo in the U.S. until the early 1950's (proprietary back to 1938). I believe that all of my 02 Narrows and 9BC Shamrocks are from the early 1950's, but would be happy if it turned out that they are actually from the 1940's.
The Shamrock line did exist in the 50's but production was very low and they were unbanded. That's not to say that absolutely no banded shamrocks exist from the 50's, there was likely a transition in 1950 where some of the banded pipes were still being produced and new COM's were being used, but it wouldn't have lasted for very long. Shamrock's like all other Peterson, can be dated by the COM. Do you have any banded Shamrock's that have Republic COM's? The Shamrock did for a short period have it's very own COM, A Peterson Product of Ireland. It was used in somewhere in the 48-49 time frame, but it is still Pre-Republic. After 49 all peterson Products were stamped Republic of Ireland. I've seen may Republic of Ireland Shamrocks but every one of them was un-banded.

Shamrock's can be split into two distinct categories, 1936(ish)-1949 Pre-Republic and 1950<.
The early PR Shamrocks were produced from 1936-39or40 with one set of shape numbers and very dark stain, sometime around 40 they transitioned to classic range shape numbers that we use today. Around 1947 or 8 they started using a lighter stain on them. At the beginning of the Republic period the Shamrock shape list was dramatically reduced from about 40 shapes to only a handful, they are mostly seen in X150, 107, 999, & 87 there were a few others but they are less common.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The Shamrock line did exist in the 50's but production was very low and they were unbanded. That's not to say that absolutely no banded shamrocks exist from the 50's, there was likely a transition in 1950 where some of the banded pipes were still being produced and new COM's were being used, but it wouldn't have lasted for very long. Shamrock's like all other Peterson, can be dated by the COM. Do you have any banded Shamrock's that have Republic COM's? The Shamrock did for a short period have it's very own COM, A Peterson Product of Ireland. It was used in somewhere in the 48-49 time frame, but it is still Pre-Republic. After 49 all peterson Products were stamped Republic of Ireland. I've seen may Republic of Ireland Shamrocks but every one of them was un-banded.

Shamrock's can be split into two distinct categories, 1936(ish)-1949 Pre-Republic and 1950<.
The early PR Shamrocks were produced from 1936-39or40 with one set of shape numbers and very dark stain, sometime around 40 they transitioned to classic range shape numbers that we use today. Around 1947 or 8 they started using a lighter stain on them. At the beginning of the Republic period the Shamrock shape list was dramatically reduced from about 40 shapes to only a handful, they are mostly seen in X150, 107, 999, & 87 there were a few others but they are less common.

Very very interesting - thanks for sharing this information. Now I'm going to have to go dig through my fifteen or so Shamrocks and see what I have. Most are dark-stain and banded. One has a sterling shield embedded in the front that is dated 1939.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Very very interesting - thanks for sharing this information. Now I'm going to have to go dig through my fifteen or so Shamrocks and see what I have. Most are dark-stain and banded. One has a sterling shield embedded in the front that is dated 1939.
I'd love to see your Shamrock with the Shield! If you want any help dating any of your Shamrocks feel free to PM me and send me pics, I've compiled a database of shamrock COMs, stamping, and shape numbers. I'm also always looking to add to it.

• Love

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'd love to see your Shamrock with the Shield! If you want any help dating any of your Shamrocks feel free to PM me and send me pics, I've compiled a database of shamrock COMs, stamping, and shape numbers. I'm also always looking to add to it.
Thanks so much! I was never all that interested in Shamrocks until I found that the early dark-stained banded ones were actually very nice pipes. Since then I've focused on those, but who can resist a blonde 02 Narrow or 9BC? :LOL:

I will absolutely contact you again after I've gone through my Shamrocks.

Here's an early 968 (68) I picked up on December 3 - the seller had several Petersons that all appeared to be from the 1930's: early Shamrock After restoration the stem fit flush as it should.

s-l1600.jpg