PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There's a recursive error built into all this history stuff that might or might not be happening right now, as we speak.

Jon G, Jessie, Greeneyes, and RustieP can say anything they want, and no one in the world could prove them wrong.

And, well... power is addictive, and pipe history contains little intrinsic drama.

Just sayin

Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 4.42.51 PM.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Shamrock line did exist in the 50's but production was very low and they were unbanded. That's not to say that absolutely no banded shamrocks exist from the 50's, there was likely a transition in 1950 where some of the banded pipes were still being produced and new COM's were being used, but it wouldn't have lasted for very long. Shamrock's like all other Peterson, can be dated by the COM. Do you have any banded Shamrock's that have Republic COM's? The Shamrock did for a short period have it's very own COM, A Peterson Product of Ireland. It was used in somewhere in the 48-49 time frame, but it is still Pre-Republic. After 49 all peterson Products were stamped Republic of Ireland. I've seen may Republic of Ireland Shamrocks but every one of them was un-banded.

Shamrock's can be split into two distinct categories, 1936(ish)-1949 Pre-Republic and 1950<.
The early PR Shamrocks were produced from 1936-39or40 with one set of shape numbers and very dark stain, sometime around 40 they transitioned to classic range shape numbers that we use today. Around 1947 or 8 they started using a lighter stain on them. At the beginning of the Republic period the Shamrock shape list was dramatically reduced from about 40 shapes to only a handful, they are mostly seen in X150, 107, 999, & 87 there were a few others but they are less common.
The 9BC shape didn't appear until the early 1950's (believe 1953?) and I've owned several banded examples.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You won't ever see one. Whether they were introduced in the 1940's or 1950's, they were only made during the 'non-hallmark' years (1940-1968). Those years create a PITA for Peterson collectors.
The shape doesn't show in up in catalogs until 1953, so I'll stick with that era (I've stopped saying the 9BC as a pre-Republic shape)

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Technically yes, but one was not introduced until much later. The London made stamps I have on my comoys are either in the rugby style or as a block under the floral script. I’ve always viewed that phrase (like all CoMs I guess) as more to do with marketing than provenance. This is just my opinion and I am most probably wrong. But that’s ok, that’s how I learn. happy you got that pipe. I’m sure it will smoke excellent.
I'd much like to see them pipes Ahi . Meanwhile I'm confused and I do not have a clue anymore.
What matters more is that is this a very handsome long pipe and I trust it will clean up nicely and smoke fine.
Following George's hilarious and from a historical point of view very apt comment, we both do not claim
a monopoly on wisdom and I like that a lotrotf

Reactions: Ahi Ka