PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
In case you wonder what attracted me to this one, I will tell you NOW :
It is no less then 6.88 inches long !
Comoy's canadians are the 196, 299, 311,the longer 309 and undoubtedly some more I do not know by heart.
This is a 509 and I've never encoutered this shape nr. on any Comoy's canadian pipe.
Lovely grain on this one too.
Two Comoy's and COM stamps; the oldest ( as I recall Comoy's second name stamp ) is a curved Comoy's over London Made one and the second one the much later
Made in London ( in circle ) England one. Why is this ? Old Britwood Experts please chime in !
The stem is a three piece drilled one, however postioned in an unusual way.
Put bat in your pipe and please share your learned opinion.

That is a beautiful, graceful, shaped pipe. From the slight forward cant, to slender oval shank, the bit transitions in an elegant fashion. Congrats to you!

Reactions: orlandofurioso

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
While we have a 'receptive audience,' did anyone in this Circus pick this set up from Mr. O'Sullivan?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
While we have a 'receptive audience,' did anyone in this Circus pick this set up from Mr. O'Sullivan?
Not me, but I watched the bidding Circus with staggering interest.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Dec 10, 2013
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I watched it. I had a very enlightening and entertaining correspondence with the seller regarding an earlier listing. I had mentioned to him that eBay's Global Shipping was a potential disaster and I would never bid on anything that was required to be sent by them.

Seems it's not a problem, since his customers are primarily Chinese and they have local agents to handle smuggling sending the merchandise to the purchaser, so he doesn't actually have to use Global shipping. Instead, he sends the doodads to a local address and they take care of the rest. From what he said, this isn't uncommon. IIRC, he said they were pretty "slick" in terms of how they were set up.

Aside from that, I have no interest, at this point in my life, in owning another unsmoked vintage anything. The first match lowers the value by half, assuming you don't crack a bowl in the process.

Still, nice to see the set and I added the images to my archive.

Dec 10, 2013
I watched it. I had a very enlightening and entertaining correspondence with the seller regarding an earlier listing. I had mentioned to him that eBay's Global Shipping was a potential disaster and I would never bid on anything that was required to be sent by them.

Seems it's not a problem, since his customers are primarily Chinese and they have local agents to handle smuggling sending the merchandise to the purchaser, so he doesn't actually have to use Global shipping. Instead, he sends the doodads to a local address and they take care of the rest. From what he said, this isn't uncommon. IIRC, he said they were pretty "slick" in terms of how they were set up.

Aside from that, I have no interest, at this point in my life, in owning another unsmoked vintage anything. The first match lowers the value by half, assuming you don't crack a bowl in the process.

"Still, nice to see the set and I added the images to my archive'"
As did I :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr
Dec 10, 2013

Still wonder if Ebay will not urge the seller to send them the package, if you understand my meaning.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Still wonder if Ebay will not urge the seller to send them the package, if you understand my meaning.
eBay doesn't care about any sale as long as they get their cut. It's a completely amoral site. I've seen a lot of bootlegged material for sale over the years. Even when there's obvious criminality going on it takes a lot of work to budge them.

Dec 10, 2013
eBay doesn't care about any sale as long as they get their cut. It's a completely amoral site. I've seen a lot of bootlegged material for sale over the years. Even when there's obvious criminality going on it takes a lot of work to budge them.
Yep, while they do not one bit mind stealing our honest and innocent old codger pipes and stick shanks, to resell them later at three times etc. 😡😡😡
I'm still furious, need therapy . I'll Have a wee dram first.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
On this one the marquee nomenclature is also the COM, so there are two COM stamps.
Technically yes, but one was not introduced until much later. The London made stamps I have on my comoys are either in the rugby style or as a block under the floral script. I’ve always viewed that phrase (like all CoMs I guess) as more to do with marketing than provenance. This is just my opinion and I am most probably wrong. But that’s ok, that’s how I learn. happy you got that pipe. I’m sure it will smoke excellent.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso