PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I guess sometimes I try to be an idiot and it doesn’t work out. We’ll see what ol’ Rustie can do when I send it his way.
You have as high a success rate as the rest of us :ROFLMAO:

I don't think the repair is that difficult, but I'm also unsure how close the repaired stummel's properties will be to what it was new. I've never done the 'pin' technique that Steve at Rebornpipes uses - I just clean out the cracks as best as possible, then fill with thin CA glue, and you'll almost certainly have all sorts of missing chamber interior at the mortise end. So I'll be very curious to see how the repairs for this one are done.

Good choice though - he'll make you a new stem and you'll have a wonderful pipe.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
So, my Ashton came in today and I have to say the pictures that the seller took did not show this pipes beauty. Which was perfect for me because it would have sold for more then I could afford.

The only thing that stand out to me is the gold band.

I'm leaning more towards gold platted because it doesn't have any hallmarks. And it's not a repair band because the shank is not cracked. What do you all think it is? Gold or gold platted? Let me know. Oh and I'll post more pics after the restore.
20240522_144346.jpg20240522_144357.jpg20240522_144420.jpg

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I was about to say, after I did a little Gold digging (and not in my nose) for once lol. I found out its most likely 14 karat and the A can either stand for Ashton or antique gold? Anyway I'm happy with it and can't wait too clean it up and add it to the Ashton thread.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was about to say, after I did a little Gold digging (and not in my nose) for once lol. I found out its most likely 14 karat and the A can either stand for Ashton or antique gold? Anyway I'm happy with it and can't wait too clean it up and add it to the Ashton thread.
My bet is A is for Ashton. I love a slim band adornment, my Ferndown also has a slim band.

Wow, good ebay eye - that looks WAY better than those photos. Sometimes crappy photos yield the best pipes. You got the bear this time!

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Exactly my friend. I couldn't be happier. I would already have done the clean up which is minimal but I ran out of micro mesh I though I had some but misplaced them in the move, and yet to set up my midi lathe to buff it up, luckily I don't have to ever move again unless I want to anyway this gives me more motivation to set up the shop, I've been dreading it for some reason

Reactions: bayareabriar

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think someone got a great score. I love my super sports. This one has the early COM and a 3 digit model number, which seems quite unique

Last edited:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I think someone did well here. This looks like a CK shape, but stamped 74. I've never seen this Dunhill shape number before.

View attachment 313336
View attachment 313337
That's a Shape 747. I believe you have seen one before, but it's been a while!.........

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's a Shape 747. I believe you have seen one before, but it's been a while!.........
ah, I wondered if that was a 3rd digit, thanks! $255 for a '69 in that condition looks like a win.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I was
Yes 747, I tried all the shape charts and had to go back to the pic like 5 times to make sure because it looked like the back slash was too high, either way shape 74 or 747, not in any shape chart I could find. I let it go because I wasn't sure why lol. Sometimes it's better to not think and just do lol.

Reactions: beefeater33

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I think someone got a great score. I love my super sports. This one has the early COM and a 3 digit model number, which seems quite unique

Saw that one. Almost came out of retirement to get it but resisted the urge. Hopefully it went to a deserving englishman and not one of these foreign johnnies.🧐

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not every day that an unsmoked Barling shows up on eBay.

But I have reservations about this one, not whether or not it's unsmoked, I have no way of knowing whether that's true, but whether or not it has been subjected to some level of "restoration" by someone. Given the final price, I suspect that others felt the same way. It certainly is, in most respects, in clean condition. All of the stampings are crisp and the stem nomenclature appears to be crisp, both good signs, as the stem nomenclature is easily worn down.

What is bothering me most is the chamber wall. It looks freshly scoured. There are horizontal lines visible, which I have never seen in any other unsmoked Barling. The wood looks totally fresh, not like the wood of a 70 year old pipe, which will have darkened slightly over the years. Since I own several unsmoked Barlings I pulled them out to compare and the chamber wall on all of them is slightly darker. There are no horizontal lines.

The jig marks in the side of the chamber appear to be a little shallower and less distinct in this Barling than the ones that I own. Nor are there dark spots against the fresh wood in my unsmoked Barlings. The patina is uniform.

Another concern is the bit of wear on the rim. Barling used two different stains on their fossil pipes. The undercoat was red, over which was applied a black coating. The purpose of this was to develop a pleasing pattern of reddish highlights to the blast, over time, as the pipe was handled and enjoyed. There appear to be reddish highlights on the rim. On my unsmoked fossil there are no reddish highlights. The dark top coat is unbroken.

Reactions: bayareabriar

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Yes the bowl is almost too round for a pipe that is shaped and drilled prior to sandblasting. It looks to me that it was cut after the pipe was blasted which could mean only 1 thing. They re-drilled the bowl to look knew. Even if it was lightly smoked you would have to cut out alot to make it fresh briar again. Not new too my eyes.

Reactions: sablebrush52