PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I never would have noticed that the stem is cumberland if i didnt raise the brightness of my screen. Just goes to show, I haven't been lookingat estate lots as good as I should have
I've also looked at Ashtons for quite a while, but have never felt confident enough in my knowledge about them to pull the trigger. Sounds like you found just what you were looking for.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here you go:

Terrible pictures, I hope there aren't any surprises. An Ashton with a 14k gold band is a rare thing, and a Cumberland stem, also an unusual combination for Taylor.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The cumberland stem is not exactly his favorite i dont think (just my personal thoughts). I think Jimmy Craig got his distain for the name Cumberland from Bill because he called it a Brindle Stem in his interview for the radio show. Makes sense why Bill came up with the Ashtonite stem to sum what diss the Cumberland Street of dunhill fame if my memory is correct lol. Anyway when it comes to the pipes, horrible pictures I, could contact the seller and get better pics I'm sure. But in the description of the auction he gave enough detail for me to not worry to much about the picks. I myself have tooken lackluster pics and paid the price in not getting what I should of. But when you need the cash, you need the cash.

We shall see next week probably by this day I should have it in hand and looking fresh and clean and the envy of my pipe cabinet lol.

Last edited:

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This 1984 Mark Twain arrived yesterday. It was very inexpensive for a boxed MT, and beat up in almost all respects: rim burn, front edge beat off, thin rim at front, horribly-filled stem dents, box missing pieces of the paper covering. But...it was expected and it gives me the chance to re-stain the stummel after making repairs. I've already topped it and am in the process of getting off as much stain as possible. When I tried to trim off the globs of stem filler, those areas turned whitish, so hopefully acetone will remove the filler. I have a nice one that's missing its box, so this one will get repaired and become a donor.

My goal is something close to a 'natural' look, but if not, maybe a plum color - looking forward to clenching it while casting in the rivers this Fall. It will NOT look original :LOL:

1984 Peterson Mark Twain

s-l1600.webp

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I've also looked at Ashtons for quite a while, but have never felt confident enough in my knowledge about them to pull the trigger. Sounds like you found just what you were looking for.
The only other Ashton i owned was a strange piece as well. I bought it at the local b&m and it had been there for 20 sum years. It is stamped pebble grain but had the lighter old church stain. The blast was magnificent feeling. I only have a couple pipes that smoked as good as that 1. I can't seem to find pics of it but I did sell it on here so maybe I can find it somewhere.

Reactions: runscott

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
For some reason I went down a rabbit hole of previous workers of top marquees such Dunhill, Charatan, Castello, Caminetto, and so on. When it comes to the English/British makers such as Dunhill, they have quite a bit of ex employees who started their own brands. Ashton & Ferndown being the 2 that instantly come to mind. Are these pipes better then the more well known century old company's? The best thing about being 32 is that I'm old enough to feel old (my kids lol) but young enough to be healthy. Most of the things I'm curious about, others who came before me were just as interested in, so alot of the things I want to inform myself of are readily and easily available. (Except for rare birds like that weird Comoys with the built in tamper lol)?

There isn't much info on the history of the brands because Bill Taylor himself only owned the Ashton brand for less then 3 decades (may he R.I.P). In that short time he made a great name in the buisness. The same goes for Ferndown and Les Wood, but he doesn't have somebody else running the company when he passes like Bill.

I'm sorry for the long winded post, I'm just curious as to what everybody will think of these brands in the next 20-100 years, (if smoking is still a thing). Will these brands be as renown as Dunhill? Just some food for thought. I'm just excited for a new pipe lol.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'm just curious as to what everybody will think of these brands in the next 20-100 years, (if smoking is still a thing). Will these brands be as renown as Dunhill?
Good question. There are some really great 100+ yr old pipes that were made by companies that made nowhere near as many pipes as companies like Dunhill. I can't think of any of then that command the same prices as Dunhills, Barlings, Comoys, Petersons, of the same age.

I picked up a couple of Ferndowns in an antique store, only buying them because they were Ferndowns for less than $100 - I saw nothing special about them. But I suspect they will hold their value simply because today we have young 'collectors' who will still be around in 30-50 years, whereas 100 years ago collecting wasn't as much of a thing.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
For some reason I went down a rabbit hole of previous workers of top marquees such Dunhill, Charatan, Castello, Caminetto, and so on. When it comes to the English/British makers such as Dunhill, they have quite a bit of ex employees who started their own brands. Ashton & Ferndown being the 2 that instantly come to mind. Are these pipes better then the more well known century old company's? The best thing about being 32 is that I'm old enough to feel old (my kids lol) but young enough to be healthy. Most of the things I'm curious about, others who came before me were just as interested in, so alot of the things I want to inform myself of are readily and easily available. (Except for rare birds like that weird Comoys with the built in tamper lol)?

There isn't much info on the history of the brands because Bill Taylor himself only owned the Ashton brand for less then 3 decades (may he R.I.P). In that short time he made a great name in the buisness. The same goes for Ferndown and Les Wood, but he doesn't have somebody else running the company when he passes like Bill.

I'm sorry for the long winded post, I'm just curious as to what everybody will think of these brands in the next 20-100 years, (if smoking is still a thing). Will these brands be as renown as Dunhill? Just some food for thought. I'm just excited for a new pipe lol.
If you have a question that you think Les Wood could answer he's pretty responsive to email. You can reach him at ferndownpipes(at)gmail.com.

Reactions: bayareabriar

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I said the same thing, my 6 year old would have done a better job. But 1 persons bad pics can turn out to be a good deal for someone. I can see this selling at this price unlike the lot a few pages back. That's just laziness too me, a bad picture is 1 thing, but takeing a good pic just ask for basically nothing compared to the worth of the lot. Somebody made out like a bandit on that 1. I'm not gonna be selling this pipe anytime soon so no matter how bad the pics you can tell it's not fake and that's really the only thing that matters in the long run.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
If you have a question that you think Les Wood could answer he's pretty responsive to email. You can reach him at ferndownpipes(at)gmail.com.
And that my friend is why I wanted others opinion, it's like cannabis growers these days, I ask what makes your product stand out. They all say they have the best products, but it all comes down to what others think and even then it must be taken with a grain of tequila (oops I mean salt). Every person who has a product will swear by how it's the best, but I guess only ourselves can be judge of that and even when we believe whole heartedly in our opinion someone else will feel the complete opposite.

I don't know why I started down this path, but on another forum there is a thread about this, and it only makes more sense the more I ramble lol.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Some idiot bought this

That's going to take some work.

But I get it - I, too, recently bought a Peterson stummel that did not have a stem.

1896 Peterson 18 stummel with a Mark Twain stummel - that's my effort to lighten the stain and bring out the grain on the MT I bought recently.

ri1Bw4c.jpeg

Reactions: grimpeur

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some idiot bought this

This would render it useless in my book. Hopefully "best offer" accepted was just shipping....

1716253449427.png

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I’m an idiot and would have had a crack at that for that price. It’s a first run mark Twain right?
Yeah, that's actually a deal - a numbered first run Mark Twain. I looked at that BIN briefly and moved on, but if I had noticed the numbering I would definitely have pulled the trigger. Trouble on the inside of the chamber would be well worth it.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m an idiot and would have had a crack at that for that price. It’s a first run mark Twain right?
Yeah, that's actually a deal - a numbered first run Mark Twain. I looked at that BIN briefly and moved on, but if I had noticed the numbering I would definitely have pulled the trigger. Trouble on the inside of the chamber would be well worth it.
I guess sometimes I try to be an idiot and it doesn’t work out. We’ll see what ol’ Rustie can do when I send it his way.

• Love
Reactions: BingBong and Ahi Ka