PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
😳

These old BBB's excited me as much as any other pipe. I just love em, and they smoke great. These are fine examples

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Dunhill '9' sold recently on ebay. Following seller-supplied image compares it to a 120 and the 9 is noticeably larger. I have examples of each and my 9 is noticeably SMALLER than the 120. My 9 is 1924 and my oldest 120 is 1935. I know these varied in size, but this seems like a lot.

In any case, he got his asking price (I discussed the pipe with him): DUNHILL LC 9 SHELL PATENT MAGNUM BENT BILLIARD - PRISTINE, EXQUISITE & RARE! | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/256365639289

s-l1600.jpg

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Bought this lot for the Comoy’s 256 hiding in there.

Good eye. A 256 is worth a gamble, though at the price for the lot the risk is small. Congratulations.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
Bought this lot for the Comoy’s 256 hiding in there.

Nice catch. The Made in England would make it from the 1930s, right? I’m curious to see what it looks like when it arrives. My guess is that you’ll see a three-piece C smiling at you when you see the other side of the stem. Any guesses on the dark spot at the bottom of the bowl?

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Nice catch. The Made in England would make it from the 1930s, right? I’m curious to see what it looks like when it arrives. My guess is that you’ll see a three-piece C smiling at you when you see the other side of the stem. Any guesses on the dark spot at the bottom of the bowl?
I’m thinking 30s. I’m guessing it’s some type of stain. May clean up easily. May become a permanent part of the pipe lol.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’m thinking 30s. I’m guessing it’s some type of stain. May clean up easily. May become a permanent part of the pipe lol.
Might be able to steam it out or use ammonia, either way it's likely gonna require the entire pipe to be stripped and re-stained. If the stain won't come all the way out you'll need to stain darker to "match" it.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
In case you wonder what attracted me to this one, I will tell you NOW :
It is no less then 6.88 inches long !
Comoy's canadians are the 196, 299, 311,the longer 309 and undoubtedly some more I do not know by heart.
This is a 509 and I've never encoutered this shape nr. on any Comoy's canadian pipe.
Lovely grain on this one too.
Two Comoy's and COM stamps; the oldest ( as I recall Comoy's second name stamp ) is a curved Comoy's over London Made one and the second one the much later
Made in London ( in circle ) England one. Why is this ? Old Britwood Experts please chime in !
The stem is a three piece drilled one, however postioned in an unusual way.
Put bat in your pipe and please share your learned opinion.