PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Is this the going rate for these Peterson patent house pipes?

No.

One-of-a-kind stummel with historical significance and had its stem made by a world-class carver who felt up to the challenge (and could have made several pipes in the same amount of time)?

Yes.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
“Crack on one part not bad . Has wear”
Shallow?

But maybe some duct tape, super glue, a steel or sterling band, a coat of marine varnish, and, oh yes, a new stem. . . and it would be right as rain.

Such an incredibly sad case. The only thing to be said in its behalf is that it wasn't over-buffed (so the blast and crisp nomenclature remain).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Is this the going rate for these Peterson patent house pipes?

Early Pete's do seem to be where it's at, but that one is a one-in-a-million pipe.

@georged, did Max make the replacement stem?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Not even sure i can fathom you could drill something like that, also seems like there would be a few “god damn it”s and start all over agains.

Yeah, it was a long trial and error sort of thing. Lots of time and material went into making that stem.

How frustrating was/is the final process? Even with the learning curve behind him, Brad said would not volunteer to make another.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
WOW! What a find! I hope the owner will publish it as I did with the pre WW1 Barling catalog I own, the only complete copy verified to exist.

That would be a real service to the piping community as well as a thrill for Peterson lovers everywhere!
WOW, indeed. And I wholeheartedly second Jesse's sentiments. Even if not so meticulous a publication as his wonderful Baring production, at least a pdf of high res scans would be an invaluable resource.

Reactions: sablebrush52

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
WOW! What a find! I hope the owner will publish it as I did with the pre WW1 Barling catalog I own, the only complete copy verified to exist.

That would be a real service to the piping community as well as a thrill for Peterson lovers everywhere!
The seller was Gary Malberg, co-author with Mark Irwin of The Peterson Pipe Book.
The catalog had already been separated by page (spine gone), the seller states presumably to mimeograph it.
I can't believe Mark Irwin would have let that go without a proper scan. I suspect Mark might publish it like his other older catalog offerings.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The seller was Gary Malberg, co-author with Mark Irwin of The Peterson Pipe Book.
The catalog had already been separated by page (spine gone), the seller states presumably to mimeograph it.
I can't believe Mark Irwin would have let that go without a proper scan. I suspect Mark might publish it like his other older catalog offerings.
Let's hope that someone decides to make it available to others. I don't care if it's a full reproduction like I published, just so people who are interested have access.

One of my pet peeves is information that someone is keeping to themselves just because it gives them a woodie to do that. We would know a hell of a lot more about the history of British pipes if there people were more open to sharing.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Fingers crossed!👍
I’m sure there’s more than a few of us who’d love to see that happen.
Speaking of old catalogues, Estervals have got a Loewe one on their website…..or they did the last time I was looking.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Fingers crossed!👍
I’m sure there’s more than a few of us who’d love to see that happen.
Speaking of old catalogues, Estervals have got a Loewe one on their website…..or they did the last time I was looking.
It's Gary Schrier/Briar Books Press's excellent "Loewe Pipe Packet" from 2009 that's on offer. At least a couple of years ago, this was still available directly from Gary's website for $47 (including post, as I recall). So, certainly for those of us in the US (and perhaps elsewhere too), Gary might be a better source than Esterval (€58 with VAT plus post).

Unfortunately for those of us who are serious fans of actual old catalogues, they are astonishingly elusive--anywhere at any price. And even reproductions, like Loring's four-volume compilation of Dunhill ephemera--which I've wanted to see in pdfs for as long as I can remember (even though the quality of reproduction is poor)--is maddeningly hard to find.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's Gary Schrier/Briar Books Press's excellent "Loewe Pipe Packet" from 2009 that's on offer. At least a couple of years ago, this was still available directly from Gary's website for $47 (including post, as I recall). So, certainly for those of us in the US (and perhaps elsewhere too), Gary might be a better source than Esterval (€58 with VAT plus post).

Unfortunately for those of us who are serious fans of actual old catalogues, they are astonishingly elusive--anywhere at any price. And even reproductions, like Loring's four-volume compilation of Dunhill ephemera--which I've wanted to see in pdfs for as long as I can remember (even though the quality of reproduction is poor)--is maddeningly hard to find.
I have that Loewe set - except that mine are real, not reproductions.

Reactions: milk and guylesss
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Let's hope that someone decides to make it available to others. I don't care if it's a full reproduction like I published, just so people who are interested have access.

One of my pet peeves is information that someone is keeping to themselves just because it gives them a woodie to do that. We would know a hell of a lot more about the history of British pipes if there people were more open to sharing.
Like family recipes where the "owner" omits a key ingredient or adjusts the amounts needed?

I dislike that as well. After all, sharing is caring and two people will not make the exact same dish despite having the same recipe.

The same goes for knowledge, which becomes lost if not shared or destroyed.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different

Ahhhh the human race being the monkey's we are. Just like human history, So much lost due to others narcissism and i hate to say but religion as well. Imagine what would be known as to how the Egyptians and Myans/Aztecs and countless other ancient humans built what they built. I know i know im carrying on, wrong place and all but the Bard of Barlings got me going lol.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A couple of years ago, a Comoy's 284 was a $400+ shape.

Reactions: jguss

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Petersons continue to have the hot hand, here's a set that sold on Saturday night, that did quite well.

In 2011, I happened across two cased pairs from the same "London factory" period. All four pipes were unsmoked.

Glad to see that such hardcore traditional stuff still has some appeal.

P1020629 copy.JPG
P1020674 copy.JPG