PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY

Can’t tell from the pics if that is a date code after the shell briar or an “
Closed quot--I'm sure. The patent number (119708/17) for "oil treatment/sandblasting" would suggest the pipe might well precede date codes (which begin in 1921). As for condition--well loved comes to mind. And the spliced shank repair offers a hint that its owner definitely wasn't giving up on this one without a fight.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Closed quot--I'm sure. The patent number (119708/17) for "oil treatment/sandblasting" would suggest the pipe might well precede date codes (which begin in 1921). As for condition--well loved comes to mind. And the spliced shank repair offers a hint that its owner definitely wasn't giving up on this one without a fight.
Actually, looking at Loring (p59), he suggests that the combined patent number 119708/17.17116989/17 should date the pipe to 1927-31. So, presuming the date code wasn't polished off, there ought to be one.

Definitely in the realm of wild speculation, but perhaps if the shank splice was done by Dunhill, there's an explanation, even if we don't know exactly what it is.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Actually, looking at Loring (p59), he suggests that the combined patent number 119708/17.17116989/17 should date the pipe to 1927-31. So, presuming the date code wasn't polished off, there ought to be one.

Definitely in the realm of wild speculation, but perhaps if the shank splice was done by Dunhill, there's an explanation, even if we don't know exactly what it is.
I own several Dunhills with “shankectomies”. None have the date code.

My semi educated guess, since the date code is the warranty, is that after the repair no more warranty existed.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I own several Dunhills with “shankectomies”. None have the date code.

My semi educated guess, since the date code is the warranty, is that after the repair no more warranty existed.

The repair itself is interesting. It does look like a whole new section was made with appropriate stamping added. Seems very likely it was a repair done at the Dunhill factory. I would love to see it up close and personal.

Reactions: guylesss and Ahi Ka

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This nice little Motor Domed Barling went pretty fast to a "best offer" of $1057.68, which the seller wisely accepted.

The pipe has several issues, like a number of dings in the dome as can be seen in image 5, and something less obvious. The stem has been reshaped at some point to provide a button out of what was once a longer stem. You can see that in the first couple of images, how the angle of convergence of the sides takes a sudden increase about 3/16" of an inch ahead of the button, there's a small trench running around the button at the bite zone, and then there's the button itself, which isn't correctly shaped for the period.

I doubt either the seller or the buyer was aware of this, but to me it's plain as day.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This really extraordinary companion set sold for a good price. If it had a different name stamped onto it, it might have gotten twice the amount or more. But, this is a beautiful set of pipes, in unsmoked condition.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That pipe didn’t look right. But whatever.

Other than it's been dipped in thirty or forty coats of clear boat epoxy that were then shined with NASA's top-secret Gloss Inducer (designed for Mars rover missions so dust won't stick to its tiny machine parts), and THAT result sprayed with liquid PermaGlass, what do you see that's off?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This nice little Motor Domed Barling went pretty fast to a "best offer" of $1057.68, which the seller wisely accepted.

The pipe has several issues, like a number of dings in the dome as can be seen in image 5, and something less obvious. The stem has been reshaped at some point to provide a button out of what was once a longer stem. You can see that in the first couple of images, how the angle of convergence of the sides takes a sudden increase about 3/16" of an inch ahead of the button, there's a small trench running around the button at the bite zone, and then there's the button itself, which isn't correctly shaped for the period.

I doubt either the seller or the buyer was aware of this, but to me it's plain as day.
I was offered this pre-listing, but I declined as I already have a couple of motor domes.

Some pretty strong prices recently.
Rather unfortunate as the Aussie$ has been sitting in the doldrums.
Probably more accurate to say it's at the bottom of the Mariana Trench

Reactions: sablebrush52

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There have been a number of unsmoked GBD's on auction in the past two weeks, this set did surprisingly well, given they were not a high grade or sought after shapes.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
There have been a number of unsmoked GBD's on auction in the past two weeks, this set did surprisingly well, given they were not a high grade or sought after shapes.

The date estimating was a bit equivocal but they looked really nice.