PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another 499 brought the gavel, a bit worn, but these things sure brought more money 6-7 years ago. I think that I sold the best example I've seen, to a member here.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The sale of the week has be be this Barling Motor Dome, not just because it got one of the highest prices I've seen for this type of item, but because of the roller coaster ride it went on during the week.

Earlier in the week this pipe reached a peak of over $6000 on Wednesday. Friday I noticed the peak had dropped to $5000. The bid history looked weird. I contacted Todd and found out that 2 Chinese "buyers" had been screwing with his auction. He blocked them and restarted the auction. Two more Chinese "buyers" started screwing with the auction and he actually received a threat from one of them, so he blocked them and restarted the auction a second time. Hopefully this purchaser is legit, though when I looked at the bid history the winning buyer was listed as "not registered with eBay".
Bad buyer behavior happens. When I was selling I blocked bids from anyone with less than 10 successful bids due to newbie crap behavior. One of them actually said, "Oh, so winning means I have to pay for this?" Which he refused to do. WTF? Did he think this was an amusement ride?

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I couldn't believe this auction when just recently I missed out on a motor dome that wasn't in bad shape but in need of a new stem for 300 yes it wasn't as shiny but a little TLC and it would have looked just like that 1.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
What does "not a registered user" mean? Why even let an unregistered user bid or be able to use the platform? Everyone has to register to get a username, right? Or where they removed from Ebay after bidding?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The story just got a lot worse. Got a brief note from Todd that the "winner" of the Motor was also a fraudster and that a number of his auctions were won by fraudsters who then reneged.

In his shoes, I'd block Chinese bidders. Serious bidders will use US agents to represent them and the wise guys can screw off.

So there’s a chance I can still get it for $5,000?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What does "not a registered user" mean? Why even let an unregistered user bid or be able to use the platform? Everyone has to register to get a username, right? Or where they removed from Ebay after bidding?
Something fishy going on with eBay’s Chinese operations is what I think it means. How else could these people appear to disrupt auctions without some inside support? The non registered bidder might have been someone banned after winning the auction. It’s a new one for me.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Something fishy going on with eBay’s Chinese operations is what I think it means. How else could these people appear to disrupt auctions without some inside support? The non registered bidder might have been someone banned after winning the auction. It’s a new one for me.
I have noticed a rash of re-listed pipes, fraud make sense.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA