Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Reactions: guylesss and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I thought everyone used the contact seller function on eBay to ask questions or make BIN offers on stuff?

I can’t wait to the winner of this takes some proper pics and posts it here. It filled me with joy seeing this listing.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought everyone used the contact seller function on eBay to ask questions or make BIN offers on stuff?

I can’t wait to the winner of this takes some proper pics and posts it here. It filled me with joy seeing this listing.

I do it all the time.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!

After I get it, I’ll clean it up, rub some anal lube all over it, type up some misleading info and flip it for $5,000.

A girl can dream.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

I was watching this one and considering making an offer, but I'm really out of the game. Even with the terrible images, it looked promising, and for what the buyer stole it for, it would have to be a total loss not to be a good deal.
Appearances can be deceiving. I've had a few vintage pipes that looked great and well cared for that turned out to be total losses. Mostly too dried out to be used.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I was watching this one and considering making an offer, but I'm really out of the game. Even with the terrible images, it looked promising, and for what the buyer stole it for, it would have to be a total loss not to be a good deal.
Appearances can be deceiving. I've had a few vintage pipes that looked great and well cared for that turned out to be total losses. Mostly too dried out to be used.
I offered her GBP50 and asked for better photos. In the meantime it sold for GBP150.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I offered her GBP50 and asked for better photos. In the meantime it sold for GBP150.
There's always a level of risk with these old pipes and while I've been lucky for the most part, I've also experienced a few shockers. When briar has been exposed to too much heat and dryness over years and years, like being stored in an attic, the wood can become crumbly or easily split, kind of like particle board, while looking completely normal. There's no bringing it back. It's done.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
That’s an interesting piece. Would be equally as interesting to know what the backstory is.
I was keenly following this one last week. And must say 'd I be even more interested in knowing its future story--eg if it went to someone here or known to the Dunhill collecting community. The world is not exactly awash in 1927 shell billiard magnums. And it's unlikely there are any other surviving #15 innertubes.

It's also always fun to see a significant rarity discovered in the wild (as I infer was the case here, since the seller was not a pipe guy but someone with regular sales of modestly priced vintage wristwatches).s-l1600-9.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I was keenly following this one last week. And must say 'd I be even more interested in knowing its future story--eg if it went to someone here or known to the Dunhill collecting community. The world is not exactly awash in 1927 shell billiard magnums. And it's unlikely there are any other surviving #15 innertubes.

It's also always fun to see a significant rarity discovered in the wild (as I infer was the case here, since the seller was not a pipe guy but someone with regular sales of modestly priced vintage wristwatches).View attachment 184327View attachment 184326
Main Catalogue Collection | Antique Tobacco Pipes - https://www.antiquetobaccopipes.com/main-catalogue/product/very-rare-dunhill-billiard-magnum-pipe-1926/

I’ve always wanted to ask if this has its inner tube intact, but sometimes it is just easier not to know

Reactions: guylesss

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm sure we'll read about it in Esserman's next article in The Pipe Collector. I wonder if he managed to snag it.

It's also always fun to see a significant rarity discovered in the wild (as I infer was the case here, since the seller was not a pipe guy but someone with regular sales of modestly priced vintage wristwatches).View attachment 184327View attachment 184326

Reactions: guylesss and Ahi Ka