PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
That was a joke...

I can just see some pipe “restorer”... “Hmmm, if I just chuck a bit in my cordless, I can get this plugged mortise knocked out in no time...”
Ah, you're a funny guy eh? I approve! Seriously though, it just looks like some idiot thought they'd turn their grandfather's old Briar into a pot pipe, complete with carb.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Aw man....heartbreak. I can't read the hallmark on this Surbrug, but it's probably from the late 20's to 30's. A steal at $100 except for....

Actually probably easy to plug and everything else looks solid.

View attachment 77802
Oops! Looks like he sneezed into the pipe once too often.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Ah, you're a funny guy eh? I approve! Seriously though, it just looks like some idiot thought they'd turn their grandfather's old Briar into a pot pipe, complete with carb.
You can see the area around the outside hole that's broken out. I'm almost certain somebody ran a drill bit through there trying to "clean out" the mortise and was unaware of how deep they actually drilled.

On a side note, I've reconstructed draft holes in pipe chambers, and when redrilling I compact old dried out tobacco into the chamber to keep the area around the hole from breaking out... Generally on bents were the angle of the draft places it in close proximity to the back chamber wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: mingc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, a super-rare GBD - gold mount, alleged 1921 hallmark and unsmoked.
The lower case f does look like 1921 on the chart.
One of a kind?

1619992144174.png

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Good morning Kottan,

I discussed it with the seller, according to him he took his info from Pipedia .
Actually it is is a dealer stamp from the Vienna tobacconist Ostermann, now closed.
So no "Barry Jones" stamps around, at least to my knowledge. I found out because there is a post about the stamp ! Better google it, the PM search function is always a little under the weather.
I pointed it out to him, but he did not amend his listing.
They almost never do :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kottan
Dec 10, 2013
Wow, a super-rare GBD - gold mount, alleged 1921 hallmark and unsmoked.
The lower case f does look like 1921 on the chart.
One of a kind?

View attachment 78092
Very much WOW indeed.
I suppose Jesse can tell .

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Good morning Kottan,

I discussed it with the seller, according to him he took his info from Pipedia .
The JO stamp is from the Vienna tobacconist Ostermann, now closed.
So no "Barry Jones" stamp to my knownledge. I found out because there is a post about the stamp !
I pointed this out to him, but he did not amend his listing.
They almost never do :)
Hi Orlando,
that's funny, I also asked the seller. For me he had another story.
He said he had bought this collection from an old gent who had connections to Charatan and had commissioned the pipes. And! he ( the seller) tried to verify this yesterday but unfortunately the previous owner had died in the meantime.
I did ask him 2 times , because he first answered my question from where he would know that BJ had carved the pipe ..." JO is stamped on it".
Thank you for finding out the correct answer!

Dec 10, 2013
The pipe arrived today and I'm chuffed; before and after pictures soon in a new post.
This Comoy's OB shape 312 is an enormous beast ! No less than 20 cm long, with the bowl being 6 cm. high.
Bowl outer 3,7 , inner 2,2 cm. Outstanding straight/flame grain on this one. A museum piece of sorts.
Initially the pipe was sold by fa. Wasmann in Amsterdam, a renown tobacconist. The shop opened 1854, closed 1973.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not, it is not :)
It looks hideous and I cannot imagine it to be original to the pipe .
However, the fit of the stem looks poor without the extension.
The bamboo is original. Those Countryman frequently came with Bamboo. Not my cup of tea, but I've seen enough to determine they must have had some popularity. (The Countryman is my favorite Charatan)