PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Hi Jon,

Good catch! It's not a patent. It's a Barling DESIGN stamp, so 1950 or later. It's also possible that the case isn't original since the fit around the saddle is way off. That, or the pipes are not in their correct slots, or one of the pipes isn't original to the set.
Glad you guys finally saw that! :col:

• Haha
Reactions: Kottan
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Yep. I'd guess from the late 40's to the '50's on these, based on the stampings, notably, the TVF stamp.

The other set could be as early as the late "30's, since the s-m size was available, and the stem shaping is consistent with late 30's thru to the end. And there are some who link the calfskin case without the gold piping around the top as being WW2 vintage. There's no evidence to prove that.
Hi Jesse,
I did notice the Barlings design stamp and to me this looks like a typical 1950-1962 set of pipes, the case looks much older.
Can you explain about the TVF stamp ?

Last edited:
Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Jesse,
I did notice the Barlings design stamp and to me this looks like a typical 1950-1962 set of pipes, the case looks much older.
Can you explain about the TVF stamp ?
The Barling Design mark, I mean. :)
You guys have better eyesight than I. I brought the photo into Photoshop and enlarged it to make sure.

While Barling had trademarked the TVF stamp well before WW2, they didn't use it regularly until after the war. I've only ever seen it on possibly Pre-War pipes a few times.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's one that I don't quite get. $625 for four pre-Republic Petes. But a 999 Shamrock? That's the bottom of the Peterson barrel.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Here's one that I don't quite get. $625 for four pre-Republic Petes. But a 999 Shamrock? That's the bottom of the Peterson barrel.

I saw this as well. No idea why it brought that kind of money. Someone had to have it!

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013

Good show for Mark Hoover, he is a true gentleman and his pipe restoration products are swell.
Nice pipe.
I like the position of the white celluloid spot , wonderful !

Last edited:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!

Good show for Mark Hoover, he is a true gentleman and his pipe restoration products are swell.
Nice pipe.
I like the position of the white celluloid spot , wonderful !
I watched that. Gorgeous pipe. And I agree his restoration products are fantastic

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Dec 10, 2013
Interesting Charatan Selected 42 (‘Giant Billiard’) stamped with the name of the back then retail company Robinson&CO.LTD in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

I think it's a rare specimen but I don't know if the winning bid is appropriate.

Congrats to the winner.

Vintage Charatan Selected # 42 With box | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/284253176400
It seems we always watch the same auctions :)
Wonderful grain on this one; what makes you think it is a rare specimen ?
Congrats to the seller , good show.

Reactions: Kottan

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Wonderful grain on this one; what makes you think it is a rare specimen ?
Hi Orlando,
1. It's a pipe from the Reuben-era and this big shape 42 could not be often manufactured in a flawless straight grain quality.
2. The fact it was sold by a shop in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.
I think this combination you won't find often.
3. Charatan seldom stamped the name of a shop on their pipes. Robinson was a shop for highend articles.
What's your opinion in this case?

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought this one might surpass $1k. $1055. Unsmoked, early Ashton Magnum. 7.6 oz of briar goodness (that is 212 grams). I suspect we'll read about this one in Rich Esserman's next column in The Pipe Collector. The sad news is, I'm not sure it is smokeable.

1619375085987.png
1619375117600.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thought this one might surpass $1k. $1055. Unsmoked, early Ashton Magnum. 7.6 oz of briar goodness (that is 212 grams). I suspect we'll read about this one in Rich Esserman's next column in The Pipe Collector. The sad news is, I'm not sure it is smokeable.

View attachment 76986
View attachment 76987
Not exactly a clencher. Amazing birdseye and a perfect meeting of grain flow vs shape.

Reactions: edger

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hi Orlando,
1. It's a pipe from the Reuben-era and this big shape 42 could not be often manufactured in a flawless straight grain quality.
2. The fact it was sold by a shop in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.
I think this combination you won't find often.
3. Charatan seldom stamped the name of a shop on their pipes. Robinson was a shop for highend articles.
What's your opinion in this case?
I grew up in the outskirts of Singapore and remember going into Robinson's as a young boy. I didn't know it had a pipe department and my mother wouldn't have brought me there anyway!