PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A mint 804 brought less than I would have guessed. This one I guess is a Sandblast but looks more like a carved Sasieni Rustic finish

And the auction of the day, a cased Peterson Patent Meer. Seller says the hallmarks are from 1899, which looks to be correct. Went for $955.

That's an amazing price for a Peterson meer!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We were astonished when an unsmoked 8 Dot went for around $800 (from memory), a few years ago. This one might be a tad optimistic....

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
We were astonished when an unsmoked 8 Dot went for around $800 (from memory), a few years ago. This one might be a tad optimistic....

I was going to buy it, but I can’t afford the high shipping cost.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Why do you say that? It still has the factory string/seal, I suppose that could be faked, but difficult. It looks to still have the factory pre-carb as well (looks identical to my unsmoked Ashford).
Mostly suspicious! Absence of clear shots of chamber. Yeah, seal could be faked if you're pulling a fast one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mostly suspicious! Absence of clear shots of chamber. Yeah, seal could be faked if you're pulling a fast one.
With a pre-carbed chamber, viewing the chamber wouldn't tell you anything of value (other than to my eye, it looks like the factory coating). The shank should be virgin wood, that would be the way to confirm it was unsmoked. At $19k, there's chance it will ever leave the sellers possession.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I saw this one and laughed. It's obvious that the seller is clueless. This is a reissue, made by the successor company sometime after 1979. They decided to revive the "specially selected" stamp, a good trick is Joel Sasini was dead some 30+ years before this pipe was made. I can certainly believe that it's unsmoked and that the cord is original.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The last one of these 1979 Sasieni 8 dots I saw on the Bay was 3 years ago. Popped up to about $800, then two people were slugging it out in the final seconds. When the smoke cleared, the final price was $1700.
This proves that P. T. Barnum was right. This pipe came up in discussion today on my Sunday Zoom meeting and one of the members talked about seeing them at pipe shows in the '80's where you couldn't give them away. Evidently these were outsourced to French manufacturers

Reactions: OzPiper and mso489