PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Not so sure about that; I doubt if Alfred Sasieni would have taken the time to sign them if that was the case.

But over time the stories do seem to get even more embellished...
People will sign anything for money. Or sell the rights to their “signature”. The history of pipes are replete with brands being purchased and trashed. Barling anyone?

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
People will sign anything for money. Or sell the rights to their “signature”. The history of pipes are replete with brands being purchased and trashed. Barling anyone?
What happened to Barling is a shame, but the reality is a bit more complex than it has been portrayed. It wasn't like the pipes went from great to bad in a New York minute. It was far more incremental. I have some of the pipes made in the Barling factories after the family left and they're every bit as good as the earlier pipes.

But the combination of corporate oversight by Imperial, increased production quotas, producing different product lines like Falcon pipes, and the loss of senior carvers eventually took its toll. Once the factories closed and the pipes were outsourced it was well and truly over. Still, considering that one of the companies making Barling branded pipes was Charatan, they weren't exactly junk. The marque did lose its character.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There were approximately 100 or so of those pipes made, sort of a commemoration of the transfer of ownership, and the dawn of a new regime.

The transition pipes, 1979-1986, made by group of investors headed by Ian Chase, maintained the quality of the brand. During that time Alfred Sasieni was retained as a board member. I doubt that during that time he was paid to sign pipes, it was probably more an honorary thing. And after all, he had just sold the company. I do recall hearing that he separated from the arrangement (somewhere between1979-1981) when they came out with Lucite stems and six and ten dot marketing schemes.

The quality of the manufacturing suffered under the James B. Russell regime, after 1986.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

This Weingott pipe fetched a handsome amount of money.
I own at least three family era W. pipes and this one does not seem like a fam. era one to me.
Something fishy ? I suppose not, but the nomenclature looks odd .
Weingott nerds , please share :)

Last edited:
Reactions: greeneyes

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I honestly doubt he cared at that point. The deal was done. Do you honestly think the grain on that “commemorative” pipe is worth a plug nickel?

I don’t believe these pipes were meant to be anything other than commemoratives; not production run pipes. Most likely to be given to certain reps and retailers.

And most certainly they were not meant to demonstrate the pinnacle of the manufacturers craftsmanship.

The perceived rarity and small amount of examples is what drives the prices in the secondary market. That and buffoons and bullshit...

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
buffoons and bullshit
Well, you have succinctly summarized the internet.

As for your point, this is why I’m saying what I am about his signature. He wasn’t signing a work of art and craftsmanship. He was signing a pipe, ergo, he was paid to sign garbage.

We will agree to disagree it sounds like.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Perhaps part of a departure signature agreement. The shape of the pipe is not of my liking no matter how great the grain could be.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
As a big fan of Sasieni pipes, those commemorative pipes hold no interest for me. In fact, I'll say the same for anything past the family era, I don't own a one. About to smoke a pre-war ~ early post-war Friar shape19, the Pembroke.

friar19 005.JPG

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I saw this one and laughed. It's obvious that the seller is clueless. This is a reissue, made by the successor company sometime after 1979. They decided to revive the "specially selected" stamp, a good trick is Joel Sasini was dead some 30+ years before this pipe was made. I can certainly believe that it's unsmoked and that the cord is original.
I'd like to be enlightened on how to tell a genuine Joel Sasieni from a commemorative re-issue please.
I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I can't find the article.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd like to be enlightened on how to tell a genuine Joel Sasieni from a commemorative re-issue please.
For one thing, pre war Sasieni's have a have a patent stamp. Secondly, the "Specially Selected" pipes were either one does or duplicated one dots. If the pipe has an 8 Dot stem and the Specially Selected stamp, it's from 1979.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
For one thing, pre war Sasieni's have a have a patent stamp. Secondly, the "Specially Selected" pipes were either one does or duplicated one dots. If the pipe has an 8 Dot stem and the Specially Selected stamp, it's from 1979.
Thanks Jesse. Much appreciated.
I have a Sasieni one dot Specially Selected bulldog with the "fish symbol" which I must photograph and post the pics. I'm pretty sure it has patent stamps, but will check when I get home.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The PM search function is a pain in the neck , I therefore use Google .
For instance : "Sasieni eight dot pipesmagazine " .
Works much better and all ( or most ) related posts show up.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia