Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The mediocre sandblast aside, the condition and shaping of this pipe makes the final price very reasonable for a Dunhill from this period.
30 years ago, when dollars bought far more than they do today, I could pick up a similar pipe for about the same amount of dollars.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Scored this one for $26 tonight

Congrats on your score. Looks to be in very good nick for its age. ?
I was tempted, but decided not to dip my toe in. And to make sure I didn't weaken at the last moment, I jumped into the car to visit the local wine store.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!

I saw it, but I’m glad you scored it.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Congrats on your score. Looks to be in very good nick for its age. ?
I was tempted, but decided not to dip my toe in. And to make sure I didn't weaken at the last moment, I jumped into the car to visit the local wine store.

I do appreciate that since my high bid wasn't much.

Reactions: OzPiper

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I saw skyrocketing high when Jesse sent me a link to a Pre-Transition Barling that was over $700 with days to go, and then again today when I saw a Mike Butera go for almost $700. That was wild as the pipes I’ve seen from him seem to go between $400-$500. You veteran eBay users have probably seen much crazier.

I used eBay back in the 2000s when I was in high school to buy vintage rock t-shirts. (Surprisingly, they haven’t gone up too much in price.) And of course, I now use eBay again to check out estate pipes, but have only bought a few.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

That is a great snag! I'm not sure, but the makers mark looks like William Harrison, who was a high quality maker. Most of his output that I've seen were calabashes.

Reactions: GCW and OzPiper
Dec 10, 2013

Good show; congratulations . Wonderful execution of this particular shape.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Dec 10, 2013
Churchwardens always appear so elegant, but by my experience, challenging to smoke.
Mine provide a wonderful cool smoke and an absolute pure tobacco taste; lightning them can be a challence and taking them for a walk down the lane takes too much unwanted attention :)
In the garden accompanied by a good brew and a book nothing beats them .
That is to say imho.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It seems to me that it is a sellers market currently for certain makes, with prices up significantly in the past 3-6 months.
Has anyone else noticed this trend ?
Yeah, it seemed to pick up during the months of the lockdown. I guess people had more time and more money to indulge in things like vintage pipes. Just a couple of years ago we were talking about how soft this market was. It's still not what it was 8-10 years ago, but really nice pieces command higher prices.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, I wanted it but not at all costs. It is really nice and in fine condition including the rare box.
It is cool that it has its box and papers. Those are rare. I can't really tell about condition in part to the fumed stain combined with the dark photography. No telling how high it could have gone. The winning bidder simply put in an amount and walked away, allowing others to hit his iceberg.